• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RBS apply erroneous default and compromise mortgage application

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RBS apply erroneous default and compromise mortgage application

You could now send them a pre-action letter, suggesting you will sue them for compensation for wrongful loss of creditworthiness using the precedent of Durkin, setting out the amount you have lost + asking for compensation as well - and giving them 28 days to reply

Comment

That is where I am a wee bit in the dark. Without the SAR info the value would be what I could establish using my own judgement from the comparative rates. Do I use the best rate available when I was looking for mortgages or the best rate from RBS at that time? What is a realistic level of compo? The fact that our mortgage payments were higher than they should have been limited my ability to clear credit cards, is this claimable?

I would be keen to have someone with appropriate knowledge review my papers to advise me what would be considered reasonable in my case. I was considering to go legal now by finding a NWNF solicitor to pick it up and run with it.

Maybe I am jumping too far too fast.
      'I don't see why everyone depends on me. I'm not dependable. Even I don't
      depend on me, and I'm me.'

Comment

Today I went seeking a firm to bring this matter forward as an action in court. The first firm I spoke to were concerened that I was outside the time limit to bring the matters to court. I very much hope that I am not, if I am it is only because I have had to wait for the FOS to deal with it. I will outline the timeframe below in the hope that someone can advise me.

3 October 2006 - I pay full and final settlement on a loan which was in my ex-wife's name but I had stood as guarantor for. This occurred 2 years after we had separated and after we had actually divorced. I stupidly forgot my liability to this debt (lesson learnt there). The failure to maintain the debt was only reported to me in Sept. 2006

March 2007 - RBS apply a default on my account, I was totally unaware of this at that time.

December 2009 - I apply for a mortgage and get the shocking news that I have a default reported on mt credit record from RBS.

2 December 2009 - I write to RBS asking them to remove the default.

10 December 2009 - RBS respond but cannot produce any default notice sent to me.

13 December 2009 - I write again asking that the default be removed. RBS do not even respond.

31 December 2009 - RBS confirm offer of a mortgage

29 January 2010 - mortgage goes live

13 September 2010 - I finally find original paperwork which confirms agreement of full and final settlement of loan.

30 September 2010 - RBS acknowledge failure and remove default on credit file. They also ask for information to consider compensation.

31 December 2010 - RBS make offer of settlement at around £4.5k, I refuse it is around 50% of actual loss before any other damages (Durkin etc)

7 January 2011 - I raise to FOS

17 March 2011 - Adjudicator considers offer fair. I refuse and ask it be raised to Ombudsman

24 May 2012 - Ombudsman finally offers opinion and states payment should be at least £300

Where on this line would any time limit starting point be!

Have I gone beyond that time limit?

Comment

Originally posted by Magrew View Post
          Celestine,

Ta very much. You must elaborate on the court thing soon. (It's ok, I just found it) I would be intrigued. Your decision may be useful to my case in the end.

One observation, I am in Scotland, I presume therefore that I would refer to the Sheriff Court rather than the County Court.
          I just checked this out myself, it does go to the Sheriff Court in Scotland. The reference in the act is here.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/section/15

Comment

Time limit ordinarily is 6 years from the action but in your case i'd say 6 years from discovery (s32 limitations act i believe)

M1

Comment

Thanks Mystery1, I am pretty certain I can bring this forward in that timeframe then. That would allow me until December 2015.

I am now beginning to rebuild momentum on this one so It may lead to more regular and informative updates.

Comment

I'd not do anything drastic until Durkin hits the supreme court, Celestine and Charley get their result and Sparkie appeals. Might give you a lot of clues and precedent or persuasive opinions.

M1

Comment

Limitation will be 5 years not 6 in Scotland

Comment

They are all in the mix and subject to my current discussions off thread.

Durkin I am not so worried about because the relevant part of that decision went undisputed, Cel's is imminent and I think my case is much more clear cut than Charley and Sparkie's. Also taking into account that mine is in the Scottish Courts I am minded to progress as the time for preparation allows.

The tricky bit is going to be the preparation of a suitably thorough financial assessment. I also need to now add in compensation for failure to comply with the DPA, that would be another sum on top. I don't know if a figure for that exists in current precedence. Is it a few pounds or is it higher?
                    Last edited by Magrew; 4th October 2012, 10:38:AM. Reason: corrected typo's

Comment

Originally posted by SpringerSpaniel View Post

Didn't spot it was Scotland. You are correct of course.

M1

Comment

Hi Magrew,

To get to the Supreme Court try applying to the faculty of advocates for pro bono help which can be accessed through Edinburgh university law department (I think). I think you're OK to appeal if the CoS hasn't said otherwise. If you run short of time you can ask for an extension (about £250ish). To lodge a notice of appeal is £1600. Then to lodge the Statement of facts is just short of £5000 plus printing costs. After that not much outlays apart from usual solicitors costs including travel and accommodation.

Whoever helps you must be trained in the Supreme Court.

Yes, the Court of Session is a joke. The Scottish government know that it's open to corruption but are keen to deprive us of remedy. They're all in it together. Without AV it will be near impossible to change. The politicians and judges need to be adversely affected personally somehow.

Rico.

Comment

Thanks Rico,

How are things progressing? I could do with your result to help my argument.

Comment

Result should be issued by next summer if I can get the SFI submitted this month.

Comment

Originally posted by SpringerSpaniel View Post
                              Is it not 12 years for mortgages?

Comment

The matter under consideration is the application of the default rather than any issue associated with the mortgage. I think therefore that it will be the 5 year limit.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X