• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default registered - wrongly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default registered - wrongly?

Hi all,

After never having missed a credit repayment in over 6 years and due to the recent cost of living crisis, I found myself starting to feel the squeeze on my household bills.
    I wrote to all of my creditors in November 2022 and asked if they would consider a reduced payment plan on my accounts for 7 months, until I was in a position to then clear all of my arrears or clear my accounts in full.

All was going well and each of the companies were updating my credit report with 'Arrangement to Pay' marker as agreed.

One of my creditors then out of the blue, marked my account as 'defaulted' despite the fact that I was making the agreement monthly payment arrangement, I didn't notice this until after the arrangement had ended, and my account had been brought up to date. My normal monthly payments resumed as normal and at this point I re-checked my credit report and discovered that they had marked my account in default 2 months earlier. (the amount of arrears on the account at default date was just over £300, considering that my contractual monthly payment was £167, this default amounted to less than 2 FULL monthly payments)

I received no notice of default via post as I would have expected, the only communication I received during the payment arrangement was confirmation that my payment had been made, and a reminder as to when the next payment was due.

I also received a final settlement figure with an interest rebate to be paid by the middle of June, however I was unable to pay this as the original lender had decided to sell the account onto a Debt Management company despite my account NOT being in arrears at the point of sale.

The default is negatively affecting my credit report as I feel that it should not have been registered in the first instance.

I raised a complaint with the original lender advising them that I was unhappy that the default was raised in the first instance considering that I had an arrangement to pay in place, and secondly I could no longer take advantage of the reduced settlement figure as they had sold the debt off BEFORE the settlement figure had expired.

After almost 8 weeks I received a reply to advise that they were declining my complaint and that the default should stand.

Reading between the lines / guidelines, this appears to be wrong, and that a default should not have been registered in the first instance.

I have also complained to the Debt Management company, and they say that they have done nothing wrong and will continue to report my account as in default until the debt is repaid in full.

Question is, if i take the case to the FOS, do i take the original lender, or do i take the Debt Management company, or both?
    If i were to be successful with the original lender and the default gets removed, does that mean that the Debt management company will also remove the default?

Sorry for the long winded post, but just looking to find out what's the best path to go down.

Celestine any chance you can perhaps advise? Thank you.
    Tags: None

Very interesting, as a very similar situation I am helping/dealing with,and trying to appeal to Court, sent the request for SAR, no reply to the SAR, but with lnformation previusly posted,again regards devious people, I followed on the Beagles I understand a lot more.Good Luck.

Comment

Celestine Any thoughts on this? I have put in a complaint to the FOS, in your opinion, am i wasting my time here?

Comment

Suggest you read the document below and look at Principle 4 and see the quote below. It would appear that the creditor has wrongly recorded your credit file as a default and you may have grounds for bringing a claim for breach of their obligations under data protection laws for, amongst other things, failing to ensure the data they share with the credit reference agencies is accurate and up to date.

If an arrangement is agreed (see Principle 3 above), a default would not normally be registered unless the terms of that arrangement are broken.
        https://www.scoronline.co.uk/wp-cont...d-DPA-2018.pdf
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi R0b Yes that's what I read and pointed out in my complaint to the FOS, is it worthwhile going back to the original lender and making them aware of this and asking them to fix it? Is there a template perhaps that may be available that I can alter to my circumstances that I may use? Or since I have made a complaint to the FOS, should I just leave it to them? Finally if by whatever method this does get rectified, will the Debt management company that now owns the debt also change there record, or will I also have to complain to them?

Thanks again.

Comment

What type of debt was this? Many consumer contracts are exempt from CCA 1974 but can still cause damage to your credit file. However, the fact that you're complaining to FOS suggests it could be from a regulated agreement? If so, it does sound like you were not given the correct notice of default. However, the FOS are less than great in such cases and I suspect the overall arrangement to pay was nevertheless still a default situation, but they do seem to have missed some vital steps. These can be rectified however, but the account should be restored to the position before default and the credit damage could be a breach of data recording requirements.
            IF the original creditor removes the default then so should the debt purchaser.
            "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Celestine R0b Many thanks guys for your input in this matter. I finally managed to get a response from the FOS who upheld my complaint.
              They have advised the original lender to remove the default from my credit report, pay me a redress of £200 for inconvenience caused and told them to re-purchase the debt from the debt management company and allow me to clear the balance at the reduced rate minus any payments that I have made since the account was sold. I am absolutely delighted with the result, the main issue for me was the default, and now having confirmation that this will be removed is more than enough for me, anything else is a bonus.

The annoying things is, that it took me to complain to the FOS with the exact same information I'd already complained to the original lender about, before they would take any action to rectify.

Comment

Brilliant news

Comment

Good news, someone at the FOS must have just finished their breakfast when they looked at your complaint, they are not typically generous or helpful from my experience! It is annoying that it has to get to this point and the compensation is a bonus. Granted you could have probably got more by going the legal route but then you have the added stress of dealing with legal proceedings, so not always the best way to go.

Still, it's resolved to your satisfaction and that's the outcome you wanted. Just make sure to respond to the FOS to accept their decision in writing because it then becomes legally binding on the creditor.
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

R0b Yes I have replied to the FOS and they have also advised that the original lender has also agreed to the outcome. Since the decision the original lender has been in touch to advise that they have started the process of the default removal and asked for bank details to pay the redress, so all good.

I must just be lucky with the FOS then as thats twice now they have found in my favour over different matters.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X