• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Incorrect default on credit file

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Incorrect default on credit file

    Hi there,
    In 2005, HSBC took a charge out on my property for an alleged debt.

    I had a dispute regarding the debt, it was going through the Courts, and HSBC eventually offered to settle .

    The agreement was made in 2015, and was that HSBC would wipe the alleged debt out, they would remove the charge from my property, and offered me a 15000.00 redress payment.

    The above was all confirmed in an order from the Court. I received a letter from HSBC stating that they'd removed the charge from my property, and they made the 15000.00 payment into my bank account.

    However, I have discovered that the debt is still showing on my credit file, and not only that, but it is showing as having defaulted in 2015.

    Please could anyone advise me as to how I can get this removed from my credit file, and if I can claim a redress payment as this has greatly affected my credit rating, and effectively stopped me doing things I wanted to do with my life.

    Many thanks.

    Tags: None

  • #2

    I'm always dubious when someone says it has affected them and stopped them from doing things you wanted in life. You need to prove that the default has caused you harm and suffered losses. If the default has been on for 5 years and you've only now just discovered it, then I'm not sure how it has stopped you doing things, because you would have been aware much sooner if it did.

    Download a copy of the credit report with the default, write a letter to HSBC enclosing the relevant section of your credit report together with the Court Order. Ask them to remove it immediately and you are wanting compensation for negligently and falsely reporting a default on your credit report. Don't expect the compensation amount to be as great as originally settled, data breach claims are usually modest and I think anything around 1,000 would be reasonable, possible 2,000 at a push, unless you can prove the default has caused you damage e.g. higher interest rates or credit applications rejected etc.

    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.


    • #3
      Hi rob
      thank you for your reply, I'm really sorry it has taken so long for me to thank you for your help.

      I should explain that I have had an awful lot going on in the 5 years since HSBC incorrectly registered the default against me, including losing my Dad, my Mum suffering a stroke, my ex going to work one day and never coming home again, as well as fighting illness myself, so I'm afraid I wasn't keeping an eye on things as I should. I knew I'd been refused credit for several things, but assumed it was because of the debt my ex left, so I was flabbergasted when I found out that HSBC had a huge default registered against me. Should I have been more on the ball in not knowing about it for 5 years...yes, I should, but to be honest, I was scared to face my situation and deal with it.

      I have now written to HSBC as you suggested and they have written back saying the agreement we had in 2015 was in full and final settlement, so I now cannot bring another claim against them. Could you tell me if this is true please?

      Many thanks


      View our Terms and Conditions

      LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

      If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

      If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.



      Court Claim ?

      Guides and Letters

      Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

      Find a Law Firm