• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defaults, F&Fs and unenforceable debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defaults, F&Fs and unenforceable debt

Last night I was chatting to a friend of mine who owns a couple of BTL properties and, as can be expected, is concerned about his credit record because he would like to be able to remortgage in the future.

In 2011 he defaulted on a Marbles card and later he did a reduced F&F that left him with a part-satisfied default on his credit record.

Last year he defaulted on a Barclaycard and sent a s.78 CCA request. As it's often the case with Barcraps, they couldn't find the agreement and confirmed it would be unenforceable. His last payment was 9 months ago and it has since been passed round a few DCAs, the last one being Credit Solutions. He has contacted CS who have confirmed they would accept a F&F settlement of £2.5k on a £4k something balance. He said he spoke to them on the phone but they wrote back to him. I said to him if the account is confirmed UE, why bother offering anything, he said it's because Barclays haven't defaulted him yet, despite not having paid 9 months! Apparently he was told after the F&F it'd be recorded as 'part satisfied'.

He is basically willing to pay £2.5k just to have the default recorded NOW rather than at some unknown time in the future. Barcraps seem to have flaunted the guidelines stating defaults should be recorded between 3 and 6 months after last payment. He was also wondering whether making an arrangement to pay a certain amount every month would improve his credit rating, I told him it usually has the opposite effect because I've heard lots of people on DMPs and arrangements don't get defaulted in years!

He was hoping to avoid a default being recorded by doing a F&F but it looks like this wouldn't be the case, however, he's checked both Experian and Equifax and no default has been recorded. Furthermore, his credit score is over 900 with one of them and just over 300 with the other.

Any suggestions/thoughts/comments appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Defaults, F&Fs and unenforceable debt

I've a fair bit of personal experience with arrangements on credit files Parrot. IMO they are worse than a Default. A Default drops after 6 years but an AP will stay on a CRF until 6 years after the debt has been settled, which is potentially far worse.

I've also been hearing OTR of peeps who have the OCs marking their accounts "settled" but who then sell on the debt to a DCA who register a Default. So a double whammy of reporting.

I wish the CRAs had tighter regulation.
    Last edited by The Debt Star; 24th January 2013, 10:40:AM.

Comment

That's exactly what I said to him last night! I've heard all these horror stories of people being defaulted even as late as 6 years after they actually defaulted on their contractual payments when they were on arrangements and DMPs, sometimes when they came to the END of the DMP! :scared:

I also know of people who have had their F&Fs accepted but the balance has been sold on to a DCA that then chases you for it, I think labman posted something about it not long ago. :sad:

The problem in this case is that a default hasn't even been recorded by the OC in the first place and he wants to pay a debt that's been confirmed unenforceable debt just so the default gets recorded once and for all, rather than just letting it go SBd because there's no certainty WHEN they would record the default. The whole thing just doesn't make any sense whatsoever! :rant::rant::rant:

He should also make sure Credit Solutions actually own the debt, otherwise he could find himself in the same position as someone here who's recently posted that they'd paid Wetclothes £800 but it seems they didn't own the debt and the OC has no record of such payment! :jaw:

Comment

From memory I gather it depends on how the F&F is worded. You will know where to find the precedent of course

Comment

I'd be inclined to tell your friend to forget paying that

Based on the ICO guidance they can be forced to take the default date as 6 late payments - this is something I plan on testing myself later in the year as some of my OC's/DCA's are making a right hash of reporting on my credit file ( one with - late, late, late, DEFAULT, OK, late, late, DEFAULT, OK, DEFAULT, and absolutely no rhyme or reason behind it!).

I'm still a firm believer that the 6 years thing is just a complete P take, most peoples financial status 2 years after a default bears no relation to that at the time of the default.

Further, in genuine cases (Joe Bloggs works for Acme for 20 years, pays bills and MTG on time, every time - gets made redundant, defaults through no fault of his own) how can it possibly be justified?

I really believe there is room for work in this area and cant believe some enterprising legal bod hasnt attempted to address it - after all, there is nothing in law that actually prescribees 6 years, it is just "industry standard practice" that wrecks lives!

Comment

Even worse is when people get defaulted years after they broke their contractual agreement, especially when they went on a DMP. There should be much stronger legislation rather than just a set of guidelines. :rant:

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
              Even worse is when people get defaulted years after they broke their contractual agreement, especially when they went on a DMP. There should be much stronger legislation rather than just a set of guidelines. :rant:
              Could not agree more

As it stands Banks etc can throw DF's around like confetti and use randomly as threatsT

he worst thing is the masses don't realise that once the bank registers a default, that's it, you might as well not pay them a bean as your file is ruined for 6 years, 'notice of correction' or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
                Could not agree more

As it stands Banks etc can throw DF's around like confetti and use randomly as threatsT

he worst thing is the masses don't realise that once the bank registers a default, that's it, you might as well not pay them a bean as your file is ruined for 6 years, 'notice of correction' or not.
                Indeed, many people still believe settling the debt will remove the default, 99% of the time this isn't the case and, for the purpose of credit worthiness, it matters not whether you repay a defaulted debt or not, so why would you want to?

Comment

CRAs should have a default list of DCAs/Banks who default on paperwork and actual CCAs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                    CRAs should have a default list of DCAs/Banks who default on paperwork and actual CCAs etc.
                    Sadly, the ruling on the McGuffick case states that reporting to CRAs does not amount to enforcement so it's not necessary to produce a compliant CCA to record a default.
                    http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...2009/2386.html

...it's a one-way street where it all works in favour of the Big Guns, of course! :rant: :mad2:

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                      Sadly, the ruling on the McGuffick case states that reporting to CRAs does not amount to enforcement so it's not necessary to produce a compliant CCA to record a default.
                      http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup...2009/2386.html

...it's a one-way street where it all works in favour of the Big Guns, of course! :rant: :mad2:
                      of course!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X