• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclays and the CRAs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays and the CRAs

I was sent a DN in 2006 on entering a DMP with the CCCS. Only in January 2011 has the bank registered adverse data in the form of an arrangement to pay indicator (not a Default).

Does anyone know if:-

1. I can insist on then bank registering the Default with the CRAs? (ie it would then come off the files next year)

2. If the bank is permitted to plonk on data 48 months after the account defaulted?
    Tags: None

Re: Barclays and the CRAs

Bump. Anyone any experience of the CRAs to help?

Comment

Check with the ICO, Debt Star.

As per the DPA, a 'Default' can only be processed for 6 years from the date of the first 'Default' registered.

Comment

they never registered the default of course, so barclays have a good way of defaulting people, sending accounts to collections and still keeping adverse data on their accounts forever. I will complain to the ICO then.

Comment

Hi DS,

You ask some beep difficult questions! lol

I don't know if this link is helpful:

Keeping personal data accurate and up to date (Principle 4)

I would have thought the answer for you lies somewhere in this fourth principle of keeping data accurate and up to date, but I'm having huge difficulty finding anything specific.

One thing I have discovered is that AP's as you know are just as bad as CCJ's or DN's on your credit file, however, they do not always stay on for six years. You may have an argument that when the DN falls off the AP should also be removed. The link above says somehing along the lines of the creditor needs to take increased care over accuracy with data that could have a significant effect on the person about whom that data is held.

I'll keep burrowing!

Comment

caspar, I have an email from xperian confirming that APs stay on your credit file FOREVER (that is, as long as the account is recorded on the file. So if you can't settle the account the AP stays on as a marker EVEN IF the AP has ended. The file would give the dates the AP lasted for). So this is the banks' way of recording indefinite adverse data. Forget 6 years.

My advice to anyone serious about healing their damaged credit files is to DEFAULT your account, get it recorded, and then go on an AP. That way after 6 years it drops off. Barclays have twisted my data and this is DEFO going to the ICO and FOS now.

Comment

I'll let you know what the ICO say

...oh, in about 2 years' time whe they get round to reviewing my complaint

Comment

ICO and FOS complaints in now. Should hear from them within the next decade.

Comment

Things might be looking up on that front. Dealt with someone earlier who'd only waited 6 weeks for a response (positive!) from ICO. They were either very lucky, or the ICO is doing something to address its ever increasing backlog.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X