• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shamen vs Experian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shamen vs Experian

I think Experian are getting a little sick of me. They did a lot of work to correct a bunch of fraud and bad data on my report, but dont seem to want to go the final mile and fix the last few bits.

It looks like two companies, British Gas and Aktiv capital had linked my old address to my fathers on my report (we share the same name). They have admitted their error to Experian and the data was to have been removed by 7th August per Experians communications to me.

In the meantime, I wondered how these companies had linked me to my dad - we had not even shared a house since 2000 and have both since moved. After a bit of digging, it seems Experian are listing both his and my electoral roll entry from that time on my report - bingo, thats where its coming from. Go far back enough and me and my dad can look like the same person, now living at completely different places. So thats why the new addresses got linked.

So on the 10th August I wrote back to experian as the address links were still not removed from the report, and also highlighted the inaccuracy of the electoral roll entry

Please also place a notice of disassociation with xxx xxx (dob xx/xx/xxxx) who also resided at xx xxxx ave, sometown, PO57 CDE with me until 2000. Its clear we are still being linked somehow as even on your electral roll report for me you list both my entry (1997-2000) and my fathers (1986-2000). It would be funny for a 6 year old (i was 6 in 1986) to have made it onto the electoral roll
    I laughed to get back this reply today

I am deleting the linked addresses created by Aktiv Kapital on 06/08/06 and British Gas dated 21/10/xx and 22/11/xx. Your report will change in the next seven days. Please use this correspondence if you need proof in the meantime.

The electoral roll details on your credit report are a copy of your local council's record of who is or has been registered to vote from an address. As these are not financial information we cannot remove them from your credit report. I would assure you that having your father?s name on the Electoral Roll information would have no impact on your credit score or credit worthiness.
    Spat out my coffee on that one. Even though they have been told the data is incorrect, with irrefutable proof (being my age) they refuse to update it and consider it OK as it shouldnt harm my report. What?? What if my dad gets into financial trouble and we get linked again? What about data protection laws? Bunch of monkeys.

They are also listing an address for me which is about 130 houses away from where I lived once - problem being theres only 50 houses on the street.

I fired off this today

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

While I understand that the records the council supply may be confusing, however factors (such as my date of birth) will clearly display the inaccuracy of your Data. The entry for my father (or any other unconnected person) should not appear on any Data you hold or share about me.

Regarding the electoral roll, I once again assert that you have linked my Fathers details to my report

Entry: A4, Name: Shamen Persons, Address xx xxxx ave, sometown, PO57 CDE
    Names and dates: Shamen Persons - 10/1997 to 02/2001, 10/1986 to 02/2001

As you can see, I was registered on the electoral roll from 1997 (10/1997-02/2001). My name is Shamen Persons and I was born in the year 1981. It is not possible for a person under the age of 17 to be on the electoral roll and as such the fact you are listing my fathers entry (Shamen Persons - registered from 1986) means you are confusing two separate people - unless you are saying that a five year old boy is eligible to register to vote and have an entry on the electoral roll? I once again assert that I was born in the year 1980, that on the date you are reporting (10/1986) I was 5 years old and as such there is no possibility the electoral roll entry you are reporting from 10/1986 to 02/2001 can be Data relating to myself.

Therefore, it is your Data on me which is inaccurate, not the council concerned and as such you are in breach of the Data protection Act (Principle 4) by both holding and reporting inaccurate Data about me. You are also in further breach of the Data protection act (Principle 6) by refusing to correct your inaccurate Data when notified of the inaccuracy by the Data subject. It is not sufficient to state that the inaccurate Data will hold no bearing on my credit report in future, the inaccurate Data must be corrected under law.

On 30/07/2010 (ref XYZ - July xx 2010) your organisation stated that you would remove the entires linking me to my fathers address/addresses "within 7 days". You have again wrote to me (ref "XZZ" August xx 2010) stating that your orgainsation would remove the entries "within 7 days." I request confirmation that the inaccurate Data will be removed no later than Tuesday 25th August 2010 or this will be viewed as a further breach of principles 4 and 6 of the Data Protection Act.

Under the Data Protection Act, any Data you share about a subject must be 'accurate and up to date' which in this case it is not. Failure to comply with the request to update your Data to reflect 'accurate and up to date' Data will result in a complaint to the information commissioners office and possible civil action to ensure compliance. Please set out in your reply how you have remedied the inaccurate data you are sharing regarding me, along with confirmation and dates you intend to comply with each of the following numbered points

1) The link to my father is completely removed from the electoral roll section of any Data you have or share about me
    2) The link to my fathers addresses is completely removed from any Data you have or share about me
    3) The link to the fictional address '123 somestreet, sometown' is completely removed from any Data you have or share about me. This address does not even exist so I have no idea why you are reporting this address in Data you hold on me.
    Bring it on Experian, I know I will win!
    Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Negative, I am a meat popsicle

Re: Shamen vs Experian

Items #2 and #3 have been resolved and the links gone. Now just for item #1 which has been passed up the line to someone more senior.
    Advice given is offered as personal opinion only. I always recommend you seek professional legal advice.

Comment

Re: Shamen vs Experian

FACEPALM

As my colleague explained in his email dated xx/xx/xx, the Electoral Roll details on your credit report are a copy of your local council's record of who is or has been registered to vote from an address.

Electoral roll details are not financial information and we cannot remove them from your credit report.

Entry E4 would not have any detrimental effect on your own credit worthiness or credit scoring. Lenders searching your credit report will be able to see that this Electoral Roll entry relates to another individual.
      So basically "Yes we know its someone else, but we cant remove it. Anyone who searches your credit report will know its someone else"

<sarcasm>Of course, thats why companies keep linking me to my dad, because they search the file and see quite clearly its two people </sarcasm>

Complaint going into the ICO today.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X