• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Silly mistake resulting in a CIFAS listing helppppp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly mistake resulting in a CIFAS listing helppppp

Hello

I would like to be really honest. I made a very stupid mistake through sheer frustration and anger. I held got terrible service from a bank resulting in many hours on calls. I made a terrible mistake and altered my phone bill to show I had paid £30 in call costs that were not true.

They have registered this case with CIFAS and now I cannot get absolutely anything including opening any bank accounts.

I wondered if anyone knows any way to get this removed? My only thought was that would be through a technicality.

Its been marked as "First party fraud - (Opening an account or other
    facility for a fraudulent purpose or the fraudulent
    misuse of an account or facility; or taking out an
    insurance policy for a fraudulent purpose or the
    fraudulent misuse of an insurance policy and/or
    insurance policy documentation)"

This was a complaint about a service issue and not necessarily fraudulent misuse of the account itself.

Any ideas or help would be hugely appreciated.

Joe
    Tags: None

I have little sympathy for you and hope that you've learnt your lesson and the impact making fraudulent claims can have.

Just so I'm clear, the CIFAS marker is on your credit file?

Suspect you might have to go to court on this one and I can only see an argument on technicality here because you did commit fraud. As you have mentioned that this related to a complaint about service and not one of the issues described, then you could try and argue that they are in breach of data protection laws on the basis that what has been registered is not accurate nor is it true.

There is a Court of Appeal case, Grace v Blackhorse where the issue relied on Grace being labelled as a default when strictly that wasn't true. The key point that could support your case is this (see my empahsis):

As for the second submission, I have not been persuaded that the shortcomings in the CRAs’ registration systems can excuse a registration which is in substance inaccurate because of an omission (namely that the ‘default’ related to an unenforceable agreement). If an accurate registration cannot be accommodated, then the answer is for the industry to change its registration systems, and in the meantime for inaccurate registrations not to be made.
    Think your starting point would be to write to the bank and ask them to remove it on the basis that the marker is factually incorrect, it is causing you harm by not being able to open accounts or obtain credit etc. Give them a timeline and, if you intend to take it to court, then you can say that you will look at starting legal proceedings for breach of data protection and ask the court to award damages and order the removal of the marker. Whilst you may have tried to defraud the bank by inflating your call costs, that doesn't mean the bank can label your credit file with something that doesn't represent the true facts.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X