• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Boyo v Lloyds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boyo v Lloyds

Morally wrong doesn't always mean legally wrong.

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2019/2279.pdf

The bank closed a customers accounts ( one in overdraft at the time ) on suspicion of fraudulent activity which was unproven and as a consequence reported a default to the CRAs. The court found they were able and correct to do so as there was an outstanding balance called in but not paid regardless of the circumstances surrounding it.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

On Default Notice requirement before reporting to CRAs

The Law
    Consequences of Not Serving a Default Notice

35. As set out above, it is accepted that the Defendant did not serve a Default Notice on
    the Claimant prior to reporting a default to the Credit Reference Agencies. Section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, lists certain actions which a creditor is precluded from taking (by reason of breach) without first serving a Default Notice. It is clear that reporting to a Credit Reference Agencies is not continued within that list of circumstances. Further, in McGuffick v RBS [2009] EWHC 2386(Comm) Flaux J held at Paragraph 82 that reporting to Credit Reference Agencies did not amount to enforcement. He stated:
    “I do not consider that either reporting to the CRAs or the related activities referred ... come anywhere near amounting to enforcement if [other] activities are not enforcement. These activities are concerned with reporting to CRAs or other third parties and are not even steps taken prior to enforcement such as threatening proceedings would be.

36. Even if one accepted (which for reasons given earlier in this Judgment I do not) the Defendant’s somewhat pejorative categorisation of reporting to CRAs as being motivated by the desire to pressurise the Claimant into paying the outstanding balance, at its highest that is an attempt by indirect means to persuade the Claimant to pay. If demanding payment directly or through a third party does not amount to enforcement, it is difficult to see how such indirect means could do so even if the Claimant was right as to the relevant motive of the bank”.

37. He concluded at Paragraph 85:
    “It follows that, in my judgment the reporting to CRAs and related activities do not constitute enforcement for the purposes of the Consumer Credit Act”.

38. I therefore find that there was no legal requirement upon the Defendant to serve a Default Notice prior to reporting the default to the Credit Reference Agencies.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X