• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum. If this is your first visit to LegalBeagles and you need assistance then you can ask a question here;
    Create a Thread
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Default on nominal mount due to my error

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Default on nominal mount due to my error

    A couple of years ago I thought a transaction was charged 3 times on my credit card rather than 2. I went thru the process at HSBC to dispute the charge. Eventually HSBC came back and said it was legitimate. I still saw (though I saw) the three charges so complained. The complaint was reviewed but not held; at no point was there anything specific - i.e. you were charged twice not 3 times. I consistently said "I did not authorise a 3rd transaction". So I then complained to the Ombudsman. While it was beng look at, I was put on default. The day the case was picked up by the Ombudsman he calls me and says "You know you say there were 3 transactionions, I've checked your evidence and I only see 2". I went home and checked again, and there I saw it. Reason, I wasn't checking the evidence (3 statements) I was checking a spreadsheet. I immediately phone HSBC and cleared the 'debt'. The debt was less then 500% on facilities available to me in excess of 30k (of which less than half was utilised). I had banked soley with HSBC to that point 12 years and I was never any issue with him. My credit file many many credit records all cleared or good standing. HSBC waived the fees but when I pointed out the effect of the default would heavily outweigh the materuiality of the debt and my record with them, they simply said there is no error and it stands. I asked a few months afters again and got the same reply. Over the last two years it has had an advservse effect on getting credit (to remotage - away from HSBC - took two years and no lender would touch me). It continues to be an issue and I'm at a loss of what to do. I've been saving to take legal action but really don't know how to go about it or find the right solictor. Any advice or pointers would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

  • #2


    • #3

      Firstly, it's always easier to break up your situation into paragraphs as it's difficult to follow with one block of text.

      Secondly, from what I read the fault seems to lie with you by checking a spreadsheet which presumably is one you made up? It seems like everyone but you have checked the actual statements and upon being told that you realised the error.

      Any removal of the default would be at the discretion of HSBC because factually, what they have done is correct.

      If you at looking at legal proceedings then you need to have a valid claim and I can't see one based on what you've said so you might be throwing good money after bad.

      If there was going to be any kind of challenge, the argument might be that HSBC applied a default to your account whilst the complaint was ongoing and in fact they should have waited until the outcome of the Ombudsman's decision and upon realising the error, should have afforded you an opportunity to pay. Not the strongest argument but it might get their attention and agree to removing it.
      Check out some useful guides below

      A guide to voluntary termination
      Seting aside a CCJ
      Completing an N180 Form (Courtesy of Jaguarsuk)

      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Some of the content I post may include example wording, letters, or other similar responses but they are intended purely for informational and educational purposes. Using some or all of the content I post may fail to meet your needs that is specific to your situation. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice and you can do this through the Law Society's Find a Solicitor database, by contacting your local Citizen's Advice Bureau or legal advice centres such as LawWorks. You may also be able to seek legal advice from your local university who may run a free (but limited) legal advice clinic to members of the public.


      • #4
        Thank you for taking the time to read and reply and I appreciate your feedback.


        View our Terms and Conditions

        LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

        If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

        If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.


        2 of 2 < >

        Credit Reference Agencies

        Check your credit score with Experian, updated every 30 days each time you log in.

        See more
        See less

        Court Claim ?

        Guides and Letters

        Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

        Find a Law Firm