• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

When can a credit card company demand payment of the full balance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When can a credit card company demand payment of the full balance

Hi All

I`ve been looking for an answer to this one all day without success :tinysmile_cry_t:. There is a caveat to this issue, being that, the account has been "closed" without a default notice being served (this has been confirmed by the credit card company). So to summerise the point on which I am seeking clarification - can a CC company close an account and/or demand the full balance without firstly issuing a default ?. I can`t find any reference to them being allowed to do this in the T&C`s.

Thanks

SNHF
    Tags: None

Re: When can a credit card company demand payment of the full balance

They can close an account and any balance outstanding will be paid back as to the original contractual terms/ monthly repayments

They can also sell it to a debt agency as live and that debt agency as well will have to honour the original contractual terms

Close an account and terminate are two seperate issues. If terminated they can demand the balance due for which a default notice under 87(1) CCA 1974 will be needed prior to termination

Comment

Thanks Judgemental24 - They`ve closed the account and demanded payment in full via a DCA (No default so no termination). One for the Ombudsman as they refuse to accept my complaint and insist I liaise with their "agent".

Comment

Originally posted by stillnothavingfun View Post
        Hi All

I`ve been looking for an answer to this one all day without success :tinysmile_cry_t:. There is a caveat to this issue, being that, the account has been "closed" without a default notice being served (this has been confirmed by the credit card company). So to summerise the point on which I am seeking clarification - can a CC company close an account and/or demand the full balance without firstly issuing a default ?. I can`t find any reference to them being allowed to do this in the T&C`s.

Thanks

SNHF
        Hi welcome to LB,

It is possible for a creditor to close an account to prevent further use
        of the credit facility and to continue taking the contractually required
        payments.

Are payments up to date?
        Have you asked for an explanation from the card provider?

nem

Comment

Originally posted by stillnothavingfun View Post
          Thanks Judgemental24 - They`ve closed the account and demanded payment in full via a DCA (No default so no termination). One for the Ombudsman as they refuse to accept my complaint and insist I liaise with their "agent".
          If they are saying that you have to liase with their agent means the account is still live and has not been terminated. Though credit facilities have been withdrawn

They have to issue a default notice before they can demand sums not yet due and give you the option to rectify the default within 14 days

Which credit card company is this and DCA??

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X