• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Certified Documents?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certified Documents?

Hello, i have asked HFC bank to provide me with my original copies of a 10 year loan that they "created" to pay back a credit card debt that i unfortunately defaulted on, they have written back saying that they will not answer to my request until i provide a certified document such as passport or drivers license through the PO or seen by a doc/solicitor etc...is this correct protocol?

Thankyou.
    Tags: None

Re: Certified Documents?

Effectively you are making a subject access request and s7(3) of the DPA says that the data controller (HFC) is not obliged to supply you with the information until you provide information that they "reasonably" require in order that they are satisfied as to your identity.

So, whilst they have requested it in a slightly unusual form, there is nothing wrong per se with their request.

Comment

Thanks for the info, just annoying having to pay out £7 or whatever it is at the P.O.

Comment

Do you know any lawyers/accountants/police officers etc?

All that is required is that they write "I certify that this is a true copy of the original", sign, and print their name and professional standing.

Comment

also clergy of recognised religions and clerks of Quaker meetings (well they perform marriages and verify for DBS and age plus cards)

Comment

Sorry, they were included in my "etc". Essentially, I think it is generally accepted that any "regulated" professional can do this.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X