• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

The Car Finance Company £50 Default Charge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Car Finance Company £50 Default Charge

Hi All,

I am about to send a letter to The Car Finance Company and just wanted some help in writing it.

Basically, I've had the agreement with them since about June 2013. Everything has been fine, I am up to date and I can afford the payments no problem.

However, a couple of months ago there was an issue with my wages and I was paid late. Normal payments to The Car Finance Company are made by standing order on 1st of each month. I paid the installment via debit card this particular month approximately 10 days later. I was charged a £12 admin charge (which I expected and am ok with), but I was also charged a £50 default fee and was sent a letter threatening me with repossession of the car and all the other threatening debt collection tactics. This I was gobsmacked with as I was only a few days late. When I spoke to them I was met my the most arrogant and rude advisor I have ever come across. He proudly told me that there phone calls are not recorded, that they were not yet regulated and they charged the default fee as a deterrent to stop people missing payments. I was also told that they would not give me the code for the cars immobiliser unless the default fee was paid. This despite paying my normal installment as well as the admin charge.

Anyway, I want to complain to them regarding this default fee as I am sure it would not be legal if challenged in a court. I am basing this on the court cases where banks were told to lower there charges to £12. I know they are not covered by the outcome of this case but it is a similar area. As they say they are not regulated yet, do I complain to them, citing laws,etc and give them chance to reply and do I then send the complaint to the FOS or go to court?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Tony
    Tags: None

Re: The Car Finance Company £50 Default Charge

Can anyone help?

Comment

Take it thats a no then

Comment

Patience.

Is this a regulated CCA agreement for hire purchase.
        was there any meniton of this fee in the contract.

Any charge which is levied on a contractual term on in ordinary breach of contract must directly be proportionate to the losses sustained by the breach if not they are a penalty and unenforceable under common law.
        Any term permitting such a charge cna be challenged under section 5 of the UTCCs as bwing an unfair term.

http://www.fca.org.uk/consumers/prot...fair-contracts

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X