• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HBOS / Halifax asking passport copy to provide SAR!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBOS / Halifax asking passport copy to provide SAR!

Hi Guys,

Is it legal to request passport photocopy to provide SAR?
    They took the 10 postal order but to proceed further I shall be sending a passport photocopy.

Obviously the passport has my signature as well and other information I would not want to disclose.

Thanks
    Deep
    Tags: None

Re: HBOS / Halifax asking passport copy to provide SAR!

No. I have heard of SAR's being provided via a branch local to you on production of proof of ID however; you could write and advise that they have cashed your £10 for a valid SAR request and have communicated with you previously with sensitive personal data without requiring proof of ID (I am assuming they have done this?) so you consider the clock ticking but will arrange to collect the information from a local branch if necessary...

Comment

Hi BBNB,

thanks for your reply. I am actually abroad, so will not be able to collect SAR from branch, would this make any difference? (Otherwise, yes, they sent me personal data without requiring proof of ID before) Thanks, Deep

Comment

Thats a new one! Perhaps it is because you are overseas, hope someone can help you.
        This bank seems to like delaying tatics though:tinysmile_hmm_t2:
        Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Simply respond to them - That their is no legal precendent requiring you to proof your ID to them. They are well aware of who you are as they have been sending you letters detailing the same account in question for (enter period of time). Therefore if they are concerned sending a SAR may put them in breach of the data protection act 1998, well due to the content of the previous letters they would already have breached the data protection act 1998 if you were not party to said account. Not only that but by refusing your SAR whilst taking payment, they would also be in breach of the data protection act and also for theft under the theft act 1976 for cashing your £10 postal order, whilst refusing to honour your SAR request.
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

There is no requirement provided for in the DPA to provide this; you are not obliged to give your passport details and they are still statutarily required to comply with the SAR.

This may be a way to get you to 'acknowledge' the debt if there is any question or argument as to whether you have done so, which re-sets the clock on statutory limitation.

Comment

They are however entitled to satisfy themselves as to your identity. If they have been corresponding with you regularly at your current address, that should suffice.

Comment

Thank you very much guys, I will reply back to them what you have suggested.

Regards,
                Deep

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X