• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

unknown 4 year old CCJ!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unknown 4 year old CCJ!

My partner and I have just applied for a re-mortgage. It has been denied because he has a CCJ on his file that he had no idea about. He discovered that it was from a water company who issued it back in 2008. He phoned the water company and the operator (young kid) said 'oh, someone has not updated the system - this bill was paid in 2011' (when he moved in with me) To his knowledge, he was simply wrapping the account up and paying an outstanding balance.

He then did everything in writing. He wrote back to the water company and respectfully demanded that this CCJ be removed on the grounds that he knew nothing about it. He received no letters, emails or calls whatsoever.

They wrote back saying that two letters were sent plus a default notice. My partner honestly has no record of these. The letter also said that £70.00 was obtained by a collections agency. He can't remember paying this either. But, the original bill was for around £300 - so why was only £70.00 requested? Also, this £70.00 payment has not been deducted from the original amount. Does this make the Court Order null and void? The amount would have been inaccurate?

Also, they said a default notice was also issued to him. Surely this has to be served to him in person?

They said that because they had not received any 'undelivered' letters from Royal Mail, a court order was entered. A thousand and one things could have happened to the letters. Surely they can't justify issuing a court order on these grounds. What if Royal Mail lost them?!!

Finally, the response letter refers to his previous address twice. Both times it is referred to as 'Avenue', my partners previous address was 'Grove'. It may just be a human error on the letter, but does this give me grounds to argue that other letters may have gone astray too? I can request copies of them but even if they have the correct address on them could he still argue this point?

I am at a loss as what to do. How on earth can someone have a CCJ on their file and not even know about it? Surely he should have signed something? He wasn't given the chance to rectify any problem at the time or appeal afterwards.

What to do..... any advice appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: unknown 4 year old CCJ!

snap same thing has happened to me I only discovered this while looking at my credit report, contacted court and water company to are supposed to update this and awaiting to see as my job depends on a cleanish record I called TS who havew stated that if the ccj has been cleared then they should have updated this but they never did and told me that it was against terms and conditions outlined by OFT . I have also discovered that at that time in 2007/8 water companies were handing out ccjs like chocolate bars instead of resolving matters getting the money and not updating credit files (this info came from a high source from a very big banking firm) I am working at the moment to get this ccj removed completely due to the breaches of terms and conditions but not holding breath at the mo . Keep fighting this as I am BTW which water company was this.
    sigpic

Comment

I will. The water company in question is Severn Trent. If this was so common in 2008, this might actually go in our favour.

Lack of correspondence, not updating records etc must be/have been flooding the courts.

Could you let me know your progress?

Comment

we all know that northampton bulk center don't even bother reading defences and issue CCJ's like confetti at a wedding. without looking at the full facts a failing that should be rectified but hey ho what can you do.

Have you thaught of trying to get the CCJ set aside by consent? because of the errors as we will be with this (getting the whole thing removed.

I am also battling with another company who illegally placed a charge on an old property without using the information they had from me knowing that the house was infact no longer mine, went to the courts and got a full charge (they did remove this eventually) and are in talks with legals to get this removed totally and will be taking them to court to get the CCJ set aside with cost to them. We have infact spoke toi this comany who refuse to co-operate and will pay dearly. We are looking to get 1 ccj taken off the register as in thier error never updated as recompence for the hassle and the biggie set aside due to illegallities, will let you know whsat happens my advise keep calling the water company until you get a result.
        sigpic

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X