• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Contracts, Termination, Repudiation and Rescission

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Contracts, Termination, Repudiation and Rescission

Creditor issues faulty Dn
    Debtor cannot rectify the conditions set out in the faulty Dn
    Accepts repudiation by telling the creditor, and stating his Dn is pants
    Creditor wriets back & says my Dn is fine pay up
    Eventually we get to the courthouse
    Judge says Dn is pants
    Do I get extra costs because I told the creditor his Dn stank?

Comment

Originally posted by New_Age_Biker View Post
      Creditor issues faulty Dn
      Debtor cannot rectify the conditions set out in the faulty Dn
      Accepts repudiation by telling the creditor, and stating his Dn is pants
      Creditor wriets back & says my Dn is fine pay up
      Eventually we get to the courthouse
      Judge says Dn is pants
      Do I get extra costs because I told the creditor his Dn stank?
      That depends on what the judge says further on the subject.

If he rules that the creditor may enforce, then you would need to make submissions on the point of costs.

It ought to lower the costs against you , nbut that is not definite as the judge has discretion on costs
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Thanks for the views Pt
        It's good to see this thread discussing matters in a civil way without degnerating as others have
        It helps to practice my mooting

Comment

How did you get on with the court Paul? Any hope of a publication soon?

Comment

How did you get on with the court Paul? Any hope of a publication soon?
            no joy yet, the guy who is handling the file is on public counter and the judge on annual leave.
            I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

have to be honest, reading this my head is spinning and I feel like throwing up lol.

Slightly concerned as went to court on back on faulty DN and T N, lender did a no show, DJ struck their claim out. They are saying that they admit DN was crap and are about to reissue me with one.

Have to say, despite TN I made seceral trips to bank and they refused me making payments to the account and have assigned the debt.

So frankly head spinning. As worried now as to what I will have to pay as how on earth can I find that level of money after a year and not through my own fault, yes admittedly I missed 2 payments, made one, dn was served, made another termination and assignment followed.

Since DJ threw out claim I have made no more payments, but how can I when they would not accept them and sold the debt.

i sincerely hope this Judgement puts all this into perspective and quickly so i know how to proceed,

And I hope PT gets some news soon.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangel View Post
                have to be honest, reading this my head is spinning and I feel like throwing up lol.

Slightly concerned as went to court on back on faulty DN and T N, lender did a no show, DJ struck their claim out. They are saying that they admit DN was crap and are about to reissue me with one.

Have to say, despite TN I made seceral trips to bank and they refused me making payments to the account and have assigned the debt.

So frankly head spinning. As worried now as to what I will have to pay as how on earth can I find that level of money after a year and not through my own fault, yes admittedly I missed 2 payments, made one, dn was served, made another termination and assignment followed.

Since DJ threw out claim I have made no more payments, but how can I when they would not accept them and sold the debt.

i sincerely hope this Judgement puts all this into perspective and quickly so i know how to proceed,

This is surely now a case of only the arrears actually due at the time of the DN are recoverable now by the creditor, if they sell the account it should only be worth the arrears.

Comment

Any new DN would have to show the original arrears, which you've already paid.

A DN showing new "arrears" post termination just makes no sense, unless you have agreed to have the ag reinstated. Again, "arrears" just means missed contractual payments; no arrears can accumulate post termination because the concept of "missed payments" no longer applies (the OC has removed the facility to pay monthly).

If that doesn't wash, then think about what is written on the DN. These are issued when the contractual payments are not paid, and for no other reason. The arrears can only accumulate, therefore, where there is a facility to make contractual payments (ie, the contract is live). They can't accumulate where the contract is dead and the facility to make monthly payments is removed.

You would be unable to breach your agreement (the trigger for the DN), because it is already breached and terminated. So the OC would have to fabricate the breach at the same time as reinstating the contract in order to serve a new DN.

He cannot just terminate the agreement as some think, because the termination is on breach and he must follow specific steps before claiming his money. However, I suppose he could write to say it was all a bit mistake, your account is now up-to-date, adverse data is removed from the CRAs and then, a fortight later, he sends a non-breach TN followed by a demand for the balance.

I wouldn't put anything passed our finance industry...

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangel View Post

As i said, each case turns on its own facts really

but we will have a formal judgment on the 28th to go and disect

Comment

but we will have a formal judgment on the 28th to go and disect

Read more at: Contracts, Termination, Repudiation and Rescission - Page 7 - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
                      That's this month then PT?

Comment

Originally posted by toomanycalls View Post
                        That's this month then PT?
                        correct

Comment

Excellent....

Comment

LA
                            I believe you may have missed a point that Pt made
                            The OC cannot terminate on the back of a faulty Dn therefore I suggest he is saying by ommission that the contract endures
                            He has also stated that the arrears due are what is required to correct the default situation at the point in time the Dn is issued (ie 2 yrs worth in my example)
                            Maybe FallenAngel has hope in the argument about an assigned debt which I broached earlier in the thread
                            However we have a date from Pt now so then we can start to read and learn our fate...

Comment

LA
                              I believe you may have missed a point that Pt made
                              The OC cannot terminate on the back of a faulty Dn therefore I suggest he is saying by ommission that the contract endures
                              He has also stated that the arrears due are what is required to correct the default situation at the point in time the Dn is issued (ie 2 yrs worth in my example)
                              Maybe FallenAngel has hope in the argument about an assigned debt which I broached earlier in the thread
                              However we have a date from Pt now so then we can start to read and learn our fate...
                              Yes, you're right Biker, have just been trying to understand what happens when the judge tells both sides that the agreement endures.

I'll just have to be patient...

Comment

...although PT has already put us on to S129 and the possibility that a time-order might do the trick; eg, bad DN served followed by 2 years of nastiness and a day in court, where the judge makes a time order for the debtor for the original arrears, after which the contract carries on.

I suppose that might be a bit like a "payment holiday", of 2 years in this case.

Of course, the OC was a total s**t in the intervening period, and S140 might allow for compensation for the trashed credit file and all the stress.

There again, would the OC want to run the risk of reinstating the contract? He may be minded to walk away from it all, given the drubbing he's just had in court.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X