• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court claim issued by HSBC on a faulty DN & TN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court claim issued by HSBC on a faulty DN & TN

I note that the agreement issue date was Jan. 2006.

were you provided with a second token?
    (In other words, were you provided with a second credit card, after the first)

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
      I do not always agree with peter, jumper999.

My post would have been different if the agreement had been terminated on the back of the ineffective DN and;
      the agreement in question had been deemed unenforceable.

I do however, feel that you have grounds for making a complaint to the ICO.

Thanks AC my agreement was terminated on the back of an ineffective DN
      ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
      Originally posted by middenmess View Post
      Hi Jumper

Apologies for mis-reading 'enforceable' as 'unenforceable'--What a muppet! [I have an [overdue!] appointment for an eye test and new glasses this week so perhaps I'll not make that silly mistake again!]

For the first time, I think, I have 'thanked Peter Bard' for his 2 replies as they are spot on in all respects IMO and Angry Cat also agrees with his reasoning.

The reason I asked about the interest rate was because the 'agreement' you posted up showed that transfers and purchases would attract no interest for the first nine months --if I've read it correctly-- so I was clutching at straws just in case they had charged you interest in this period which might mean that the 'agreement' they reconstructed might not have applied to your account.

No probs mm, at that time at night we all need glasses, some to drink out of some to wear LOL!
      Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
      I note that the agreement issue date was Jan. 2006.

were you provided with a second token?
      (In other words, were you provided with a second credit card, after the first)

Hi mm, yes I was granted a second credit card, and thank you peter, like i said I will wait too see what I can do before throwing in the towel.

I have never disagreed with the debt I owed and never expected to be treated so unfairly.
      I have read pt's post and believe his advice and the help that he has offered many is more than we can hope from any solicitor or CAB, and hope that he will be able to show some guidance on my case.

If I am at a dead end with this and have no hope then I will have no choice but to accept defeat as I am not in a position to pay costs at all.
      Last edited by jumper999; 31st October 2010, 15:41:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

And the interest free period?

Comment

And the interest free period?

Sorry do not understand what that means mm, is that the interest on the first card or the interest on my agreement?

Comment

Well after reading so many threads on here, CAG and other sites I think that all forums site team members should make an announemnet in big bold preferably red writing that anyone who has a DN and dose not comply with the cca then there is nothing they can do about.

Many people come to forums as a last and only hope left after exhausting many legal channels. I can see that many many people have been issued with Default Notices which contain many flaws and the advice they receive from many good people and some with not so much knowledge and carry on in the belief that theydo stand some chance of either getting out of the mess they are or some other kind of help.

I know that there are many who did not ever dream of being where they are today whether through their own mistake, negligenece or if life cut them a raw deal. The truth of the matter is that it is a cruel world now and it in the financial world its dog eat dog.

If people do not have a chance of getting anywhere even though they have defective DN'D then I think they should not be receiving advice from other people saying that they do and advising them to inform the creditors and accept unlawful recsission.

I have just read on a thread on CAG a cagger giving advice to someone on their loan, not credit card but a regulated loan that as they have received a faulty DN then it is game over for the lender. Now why would people be allowed to give out that kind of advice if it leads people up the garden path and lose their case.

Really I cannot understand this.

Comment

Originally posted by jumper999 View Post
              Sorry do not understand what that means mm, is that the interest on the first card or the interest on my agreement?

On the monthly statements that you received for the first 9 months after receiving your credit card, was there any interest charged on items that you purchased using the card, as the 'agreement' appears to say that for the first 9 months there would be no charge for interest?

Re. your last post.

You must remember that these are open forums on which any one can post and that the answers you receive are just peoples opinions and thoughts and any advice that is offered must be considered as such.

There are considerable number of posters who offer really sound and sensible advice and others who have experience of the law and even a few who are qualified legal professionals to be found on various forums but even with these
              the decision as to what you do with the advice offered has to be down to you.

Equally you will find large numbers of posters who on a good day can probably differentiate their arse from their elbows who spend their days reading the forums and threads detailing peoples difficulties and problems and then cut and pasting answers from a different thread about a similar scenario and thus gain a high post count but who are still idiots in real life.

Forums are great for garnering other people's thoughts on different issues but when money and your home are the issues then there is no substitute for good legal advice from a good professional in their own field.

Comment

Some straw-clutching Jumper, if it helps. I think the advice given so far has been sound.

1. Your DN instructs you to destroy and return your card(s) "immediately", ie before expiry of the DN. To me, this sounds like they have already decided to end the agreement. Had you paid the arrears, would you have recieved a new card?

2. There is a technical defence in that the DN does not offer the full entitlement of time. Now I know that this is a technical issue but nevertheless the DN does not comply with the Act. It is possibly 2-3 days short. Could you have remedied if you'd been given the full term?

3. I guess the letters prior to expiry of the DN indicate not, but those letters are valuable IMO as they indicate a willingness to reach a settlement. For that reason, it might be possible to consider a s140 (oh no not again!) defence on the basis that the lender knew you were in dire straits yet refused to assist. Yes, he doesn't have to but as your DN came during the height of the credit crunch (as engineered by the likes of HSBC) it might be worthwhile putting something along those lines in your defence, because HSBC was certainly capable of assisting in a small way and that may have made a huge difference.

4. Were you in any way pressured into taking out the card and/or was your credit limit increased without your prior request? If so, then you could think about using this in your defence to build a picture of someone who may have been 'vulnerable' - and sincerest apologies for the presumption. It may help.

5. When did HSBC record the default with the CRAs? If it was before expiry of the DN that may help, as it shows that they had already made up their minds to terminate (admittedly helped by your letters requesting a plan).

Just a few thoughts. It doesn't look too good I know so I suppose it's a damage-limitation exercise. I think I would be tempted to ask the court to dismiss the claim on the grounds of a defective DN and, failing that, present a picture of a 'vulnerable' individual trying to pay a debt owed to a bank who has clearly been uninterested in offering even the most minimal assistance.

I think your attempts to reach an agreement prior to the DN expiring are important so it might be useful to focus on those in your defence.

LA

Comment

Thanks so much LA and all that you have written is true. I have in fact evidence that I warned HSBC prior to me getting in to financial difficlty and asked nicely if they would reduce payments or freeze the interest.

No reply, and not interested. I know that I did try my best to come to an arrangement there is no doubt there at all. Even if I cannot get away with the faulty DN and other technicalities one thing that I am certain is that the court will not look kindly upon HSBC as to how they treated me and refused all my offers to settle.

I will point out that this is an abuse of the courts as I will plea exactly the same arguments to the judge that I have been banging on to HSBC for the past god knows how long.

Also why bloody wait so long to issue proceedings if they knew they had a valid claim, bit strange that since the Brandon case I bet there will be any a claim form from lenders to debtors who thought they were sitting on unenforceable debts on the back of faulty DN's.

How ever this will go I still have time to think about what to do and by the time I finish writing my defence if I proceed I will probably end up in tears as this has been such a long and unecessary emotional ride.

A ride that I did not want to get on and would not had to had HSBC accepted my repeated offers to pay prior to issuing me with a DN.

LA, I can't exactly remeber when HSBC registered a default. I was a vulnerable individual and still bloody am if not more than I was in the beginning.

I will let you know later things I will be putting in my defence.

Comment

Just going over Brandon again, the judge makes the distinction between "must" and "should", and points out (elsewhere) that s87 says "must" (provide 14 days form date of service).

The judge by no means dismisses the argument of insufficient time to remedy.

His clincher is in believing that no prejudice was suffered by Brandon because Amex did not take any action until after the 14 days. However, who is to know that Amex would have actually accepted payment of the arrears after the 14 days? They may have told Brandon he was too late.

Comment

On the monthly statements that you received for the first 9 months after receiving your credit card, was there any interest charged on items that you purchased using the card, as the 'agreement' appears to say that for the first 9 months there would be no charge for interest?

Re. your last post.

You must remember that these are open forums on which any one can post and that the answers you receive are just peoples opinions and thoughts and any advice that is offered must be considered as such.

There are considerable number of posters who offer really sound and sensible advice and others who have experience of the law and even a few who are qualified legal professionals to be found on various forums but even with these
                      the decision as to what you do with the advice offered has to be down to you.

Equally you will find large numbers of posters who on a good day can probably differentiate their arse from their elbows who spend their days reading the forums and threads detailing peoples difficulties and problems and then cut and pasting answers from a different thread about a similar scenario and thus gain a high post count but who are still idiots in real life.

Forums are great for garnering other people's thoughts on different issues but when money and your home are the issues then there is no substitute for good legal advice from a good professional in their own field.

Thanks mm,

Sorry for that I was just letting off some peeeeeed off steam, you know how it is. And I understand that if it wern't for places like these many of us would be sitting outside Tesco's in a box.

No offence to Sainsbury's LoL!!!!!!!!!

Take care and thanks for that wake up info

Comment

Letting off steam is good and here is the ideal place:tinysmile_grin_t:--not being able to let off steam often exacerbates one's problems:tinysmile_cry_t:

Now--how about that question on the interest

Read more at: Legal Beagles Consumer Forum - Reply to Topic

Comment

I will check as soon as I get home mm, as I am at my sis at the mo in between doing bits and bobs.

Thanks see you back later.
                          Originally posted by Lord_Alcohol View Post
                          Just going over Brandon again, the judge makes the distinction between "must" and "should", and points out (elsewhere) that s87 says "must" (provide 14 days form date of service).

The judge by no means dismisses the argument of insufficient time to remedy.

His clincher is in believing that no prejudice was suffered by Brandon because Amex did not take any action until after the 14 days. However, who is to know that Amex would have actually accepted payment of the arrears after the 14 days? They may have told Brandon he was too late.

Missed that one LA,

Will have a proper look at Brandon case and see what I come up with or NOT shall I say LOL!
                          Last edited by jumper999; 31st October 2010, 19:40:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Letting off steam is good and here is the ideal place:tinysmile_grin_t:--not being able to let off steam often exacerbates one's problems:tinysmile_cry_t:

Hi mm,

I have checked and no interest was charged for the first 9 mths so that is a no go but I am working out in as much detail the events that took place and the build up towards getting a DN.

I received a DN after missing three months installments. I kept HSBC informed of all my situation and if they had agreed then then I would not have been in this mess today.

Detriment to the consumer where the creditor did or did not do what he should have would be a perfect way of putting it.

Comment

Ah,well it was worth checking.

As has already been posted the Bank couldn't give a monkey's as to whether you'd been the perfect customer for 50 years or whatever--all they're interested in is what is the position of your account today.

30 years ago we were all customers and were able to make an appointment to see our local branch manager if there was an issue with an account and at that meeting a solution was usually arrived at which was sensible and manageable.

That level of personal management has long been removed and we are all now just numbers to them and every problem account means a dip in their profits and a decrease in their fat cat bonuses so they treat all defaulters with total disdain irrespective of our circumstance.

If the banks still dealt sensibly with customers who, often through no direct fault of their own,have problems then they'd receive more money back into their coffers and we the customers would make every effort to repay our debts as quickly as possible but their choice, in many instances, is to treat us like verminous idiots so it should come as no surprise that we rail against this treatment.

You've intimated in your posts that you are not going to succumb easily and whilst you might have some points against their actions it would be wise to think long and hard before making your final decision as to how you will proceed.

Whether the Bank wins against you or you defeat them will not make one jot of difference to their business operation and the instant after the Judge's decision they will have forgotten all about you;on the other hand if you lose then you will be ruminating on it for ever even if the money side of it is not an issue for you.

Life is too short for all that grief so make a rational decision on this matter;if you decide to proceed everyone on here who is able to will be pleased to help with advice if they can and if you decide to settle then put 2 fingers up to the bank and move on and enjoy life.

Comment

Thanks mm and I agree 100% with everything you say.

Looking at it logically the only difference I can see is a CCJ against me. If I make a proposal to HSBC of £1 a month and they refuse and still continue then what, OK make that £2 maybe even £3.

I have two other accounts with them and they know my financial situation.

Say they don't care about all the things you say, BUT the bottom line is that the court will not order e to pay more than I can afford would they? In the end the sum I am able to offer will be the same sum I offer and have been offering to HSBC and this offer will be made to the court.

I am not in anyway trying to get back at them, I am just trying to make a point that HSBC are mostly to blame for the situation I am in today. I have been going through my statements yesterday to try and build a trail of what went wrong and how and what I did to try and rectify and remedy this.........also I have been reading what HSBC have done to help support or even a bit of decent advice to rectify this matter with me before taking legal action.

So you see it is not me getting them back or any other reason. I know that if my case would to go in front of the judge they would not be impressed with how HSBC have handled this matter, fair enough I get a CCJ still the end result will be I will only have to pay what I can afford and I think it is vital that HSBC are aware that they cannot treat customers like this.

I know that I may not make a difference, but I believe that I have been severely prejudiced against by HSBC and this needs to be highlighted.

Maybe I am clutching at straws, but it only takes one match to start a forest fire. Not that I am intending to start one of course LOL!

Thanks your comments are most welcome, I am still deciding what the best way forward is and will continue to post with things.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X