• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Alexandra Slater v Egg Banking Plc August 9th 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alexandra Slater v Egg Banking Plc August 9th 2010

Interesting. Presumably the same principles would apply to Amex vs Brandon / Duffy ?
    Not only are they unreported, they seem to have been buried... apart from selected snippets of benefit to Mishcon. I believe the only full version available is the leaked one from the same blurry fax.

Comment

Quite happy for Brandon to be buried with the insane judgment on penalty charges on credit cards within it. Dont forget it is still under appeal.

And yes, all unreported cases have to be shown to clarify the law where it isnt reported in previous cases.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Report from Eversheds on EGG - News article - Eversheds LLP

rather confrontational lol.

Conclusion
        Whilst the case is perhaps less of a landmark decision than others that we have seen over the 12 months, it is reassuring to see that Judges continue to reject tenuous challenges to the enforceability of credit agreements. The case also enforces the need for Claimants to put forward a positive case when making allegations of unenforceability and demonstrates that those who do not, will have their claims rejected.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

useful summary is that. I hate Eversheds.

Comment

At least they agree that it was not a landmark decision (unreported case).

Pity, that the case hadn't been about an early Egg credit card agreement, as opposed to Ms. Slater's. Still I suppose every dog has its day...

Never been impressed with Eversheds; understatement!

Comment

That case could have gone so differently if it hadn't been so flawed ie "it rings a bell"; later agreement; and the claimant being a CMC etc. Wasted opportunity.

Comment

Hi, Just joined and getting up to speed on Slater case. I have just (yesterday) received a letter from the Egg re an A/C in Dispute letter that I sent.

It mentions (a lot) Slater and a bit of Waksman.....not sure if a copy would help anyone?....like others...not sure what to do now. The Egg have not yet flexed the Court muscle...but I feel this could be soon!.....time for negotiations?

P.s....note the point above re the date of the Slater agreement....when was this?

Comment

9th August ?

A copy might be of interest so others can see what to expect.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

yes, pls post up a copy Barrowby

Comment

I would like to ask 2 questions to further this debate:

1/ Do those of us who have not receaved anything from egg for over 12 month because of the confusion caused by this case (i.e. the creditor is obliged to supply statements of account) have a case or is this just tenuous?

2/ PT alot of people followed your egg thread and rightly or wrongly stopped payments because of it. You do bear the weight of this on your shoulders? Can you at least list or give links to the judgements you have won to show how well constructed arguments actually win in these cases. All the cases I have found post 2009 seem to be in the banks favour.

Comment

Originally posted by freethemice View Post

2/ PT alot of people followed your egg thread and rightly or wrongly stopped payments because of it. You do bear the weight of this on your shoulders? Can you at least list or give links to the judgements you have won to show how well constructed arguments actually win in these cases. All the cases I have found post 2009 seem to be in the banks favour.

Hmmm

I dont believe PT at any time advised people to stop payments on their account?

This being the case, why should he feel responsible?

He has always held the same advice that most sensible people give on here, that we can prepare to our best ability but we are still open to the judge lottery when it comes to results

I also note with interest this is your first post on this forum - not the best way to introduce yourself

:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

I will asnwer the question posed at me, simply by saying this,

NCF is right, i did not advocate stopping payments, i did advocate asking for stay in proceedings pending the outcome of this case.

I am disappointed that the case didn't go our way, but the High Court has ruled and given us a definitive answer, so we all know where we stand,

As for won cases, yes, i do have a number of people whose cases our firm have won, and these are post Carey v HSBC
                          ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                          Originally posted by freethemice View Post

1/ Do those of us who have not receaved anything from egg for over 12 month because of the confusion caused by this case (i.e. the creditor is obliged to supply statements of account) have a case or is this just tenuous?

I dont get you? what confusion? Egg had the largest firm of Solicitors to my knowledge on this case, they handled it, so i dont see why Egg would have any confusion at all

I cant answer a question i dont understand, sorry
                          Last edited by pt2537; 13th October 2010, 07:43:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Wouldnt statements of account be better got under the DPA (Transaction lists?)

I think if people have been on hold pending the outcome of Slater v Egg and there are no other issues in their case (ie Slater v Egg resolved the issues) they should be in contact with Egg to arrange repayments of their account. Of course it depends on individuals circumstances. I'd post a thread about your specific case to discuss your options as to the way forwards.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
                              IMO that's the most telling part of the judgement. If only she had denied receiving them rather than saying "it rings a bell"...she may not have received them at all. If she hadn't, the outcome would be quite different.

I read this from the judgement

'However the copy of the relevant terms and conditions (TB/5/b/386) rang no bells.
                              '

Comment

HI Molly

Yes the same could be true of any agreement, smile sweetly at the judge and say i never saw any terms and conditions your honour honest.

It could have worked here as well, unfotunately it would not have helped the hundreds of people who built their cases on the other three arguments.
                                In fact i for one am glad that it didnt work, because it would have confused he issue and caused a lot of problems for those that did.

Peter

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X