• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Key Financial Information Errors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key Financial Information Errors

Hi - first time post.

Can anyone advise if the Key Financial Information on a 12 month Gym contract is enforceable if it contains a mathematical error.

Before anyone asks, no i'm not trying to avoid paying a debt. I have a issue regarding cancelling a Gym membership as my canellation letter was sent to the Gym, as advised verbally by the Gym, but the firm who collect payments (EasyCollect) say i should have written to them.

The contract does say that, albeit in the small print, and i mean small. Para 9b sub sect whatever.

Anyhow the Key Financial Information states.

Amount of Credit / Cash Price - £264
    Minimum Term (months) - 11 months
    Minimum payable - £264
    1st Monthly DD - £29
    Normal monthly DD - £29
    APR - 0%

It's a fixed sum loan agreement regulated by the CCA 1974

So the error in the above is that £264 / 11 = £24, not £29.

I know this is a minor error but i was hoping it might be a way out of paying this last months payment. It's a matter of principle as i have done what was asked of me, by the Gym. I have paid 12 months, I have given 30 days notice etc

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Key Financial Information Errors

Hi Halifax, sounds like you may have a case, but the time and effort involved may be prohibitive. You won't get a declaration of unenforceability as the agreement (I assume) was signed within the last year or so, the small claims track would probably rule in your favour and adjust the payments accordingly, but by the time you've paid the issue fee (@£30) and taken the day off work etc. etc. it's unlikely to be economically viable. Your maximum claim for costs would be £100, along with an adjustment of £55. I would try and negotiate with the gym/collection agent, point out the error and rely on their sense of fair play!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X