• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

F Bennion - 21 April 2009 - ''not quite what one intended''

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F Bennion - 21 April 2009 - ''not quite what one intended''

Originally posted by Frances Bennion - author of the 1974 CCA
    2-Not quite what one intended

When drafting the Consumer Credit Act 1974 I did not foresee one curious outcome. It was made known in a 2008 case before His Honour Judge Simon Brown QC, sitting as a Judge of the High Court. The case was on five related claims concerning a Mr and Mrs Rankine and their financial affairs1.
    His Judgment makes clear that at the hearing Judge Brown was sorely tried by the conduct of the Rankines. The Judgment says they represented themselves, and were granted the usual indulgences to litigants in person by the court and the advocates appearing for the financial institutions. However the Rankines ‗misused those indulgences . . . by producing blizzards of lengthy, argumentative and incoherent pleadings and witness statements‘. In their evidence they were ‗perversely and deliberately untruthful‘. They used arguments that were ‗pure sophistry‘ and made submissions ‗totally without factual or legal merit‘. In a blast at Mrs Rankine Judge Mason says: ‗In my judgment, Mrs Rankine was deliberately seeking to be perverse and untruthful in seeking to avoid a substantial debt despite having all the benefits of equipment she expects the credit company to pay for on her behalf. Her behaviour in Court was perverse, argumentative and obstructive.‘ That was not all. Many litigants in person plague the courts in the manner described. What was new to me was the final allegation that Judge Mason levels at Mr Rankine. ‗Recently eight (I believe) claims arrived in various courts in the Birmingham Civil Justice Centre about the Rankines‘ financial affairs. These are just five of them and an undisputed schedule of debts amounts to £20,231.50 and £17,334.80 in the cases of Mr and Mrs Rankine respectively. During evidence. Mr Rankine boasted to the Court that they had managed to wriggle out of a further £65,000 of similar debts by raising Consumer Credit Act legal technicalities, leaving the financial institutions to write them off as bad debts rather than take the trouble and expense of litigating for dubious reward by enforcement against two individuals who are apparently on income support and exempt from paying court fees.
    It also emerged during evidence that Mr Rankine was seeking to make a business out of this by offering his services to others for percentage reward as a credit card buster with a website and publicity generated in the media about his ―victory‖ in the Court of Appeal in one of his cases against MNBA.‘
    This sort of thing was not what was intended by those responsible for the enactment of the CCA. As Judge Mason points out, the Act was introduced to protect the individual who is unsophisticated in financial affairs and contracts with unscrupulous and sophisticated financial institutions. ‗It was not designed to help individuals in the financial services business make money out of financial institutions through exploiting its undoubted technicalities.‘ Well that was rather what I thought too, having I fear created many of the said technicalities.

1 The claims were Nos. 8BM40009-13.

http://www.francisbennion.com/pdfs/f...drida-book.pdf

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: F Bennion - 21 April 2009 - ''not quite what one intended''

Oh deary me.
    I can completely understand his points here.

Comment

Totally.

Is this all heading in one direction you think?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Yep Ame I think it is, and its a 'here we go again' situation. Mind you I think the guy speaks from the heart.

Comment

I don't care if he speaks from the heart - In the world of civil law 'technicalities' may be all that's left to LiP - to shoot other consumers down because of the actions of 1 is an abuse of the process - if lenders don't want to lose on 'technicalities' then they above all have the money & facilities to put their houses in order & if they don't sod 'em

Comment

LOL@Righty

I agree with you wholeheartedly, the financial institutions have all the means at their disposal and yet are being 'foiled' by a professional debt buster.

In some sense i don't agree with the concept of avoiding ones legitimate debts. On the other hand, the lenders are in a position of strength and power and show no shame in enforcing the collection of debts with little regard to the law or due process.

They get their just rewards IMHO if the law allows a debtor to avoid payment legitimately then its part of the law.

there is no such thing as a loophole, only a hole through which someone may see a shaft of shining light of hope through. Its either part of the law or its not, if it doesn't say you cant then arguably, you can.

Incidentally, it strikes me in my dealings with judges that in general terms they hate litigants of all sorts except those from whose ranks they are drawn, and they don't like them very much either.

My feeling is that if you stand before them meekly and mild and they got out of bed the right side that day you might some support and sympathy.

otherwise watch out.

JMHO

Glenn

Comment

I agree with everyone, if that helps.
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

I don't think they ever expected the sheer volume of claims that are being made unser CCA for enforceability.

Comment

[quote=Curlyben;113869]I don't think they ever expected the sheer volume of claims that are being made unser CCA for enforceability.[/quot

Don't think they EVER expected the consumer to fight back on anything TBH
                  The tide is turning and faster than the greenhouse effect.

Comment

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/mon...cle6243235.ece

Judge freezes credit claims

Consumers overwhelmed with debts are unlikely to be able to write-off credit card debt due to unenforceability

James Charles

div#related-article-links p a, div#related-article-links p a:visited {color:#06c;} A judge has frozen more than 100,000 claims by indebted borrowers attempting to write-off credit and loan debt by using a loophole in the law which could make the contracts unenforceable.
                    In a hearing last Friday in Chester County Court, Judge Derek Halbert announced that all cases have been put on hold pending the outcome of "a few carefully selected" test cases in the Commercial Court in London.

The ruling means that over-indebted borrowers will have to carrying on repaying loans until a judgement is made.
                    In the meantime, consumers have been warned not to fall for adverts by claims handlers promising to wipe out credit card debt alleging that agreements put in place before April 2007 are potentially unenforceable.
                    Related Links

Daniella Lipszyc, a solicitor at Ultimate Law, a law firm, said: "The ruling by His Honour Judge Halbert is a landmark decision that will have massive implications on cases involving the enforceability of credit agreements.

“After a number of early wins, many claims management companies have jumped on the band wagon, promising desperate consumers that they can write off credit card balances.

"In reality, cases have simply ground to a halt as banks and lenders up their game and become more clued up on the Consumer Credit Act and subsidiary legislation. It’s now extremely inappropriate and misleading for any company to promise to write off balances in light of this judicial move.”

Last week the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) announced that it was investigating ten claims management firms for misleading customers over the prospect of writing off debts.

It also warned consumers to be wary of statements suggesting that 80 per cent of credit agreements and unenforceable.
                    Antony Townsend, chief executive of the SRA, said: "These ads appear to offer an easy way out of difficulty to people who have debts they are struggling to pay. But many credit agreements do meet the legal requirements and, therefore, can't easily be challenged as unenforceable."

Comment

It also warned consumers to be wary of statements suggesting that 80 per cent of credit agreements and unenforceable.
                      Actually I believe that this figure is on the LOW side and would put it at nearer 95% !!!!!

Comment

ok found it! I agree with everyone really, the law is put in place to protect everyone...we are all much more aware of the financial laws which govern both lender and debtor and are more empowered to hold banks responsible (thanks to sites like this) for their mishaps but that's not a defence for the banks to hide behind, they have gotten away with it for far too long. And besides it will only serve to teach them to exercise improved practices in the future.....so we're helping them! lol

I'm interested though, if the companies involved had not been able to prove that they sent the agreements out in time (which means that the claimants lied about when they received them) then would the judge have gone the other way? Even though a signed and executed agreement sat infront of him? And, if the claimants lied about receiving the documents late then blimey they deserve everything they got!

Wxxx
                        I am not going to sit on my ass as the events that affect me unfold to determine the course of my life. I'm going to take a stand. I'm going to defend it. Right or wrong, I'm going to defend it... (cameron) Ferris Beuller's day off....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X