• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCA Request for Overdraft before 2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCA Request for Overdraft before 2007

Hi,

I recently requested a CCA for an old overdraft debt with PRA Group that I’d originally paid via Stepchange.

This was their original response…

“RYS

With regards to the NatWest Overdraft Account, we were advised this was opened on 11 November 2004 and defaulted on 23 May 2018 with an outstanding balance of £7,396.89.

We purchased the account on 9 November 2018 with an outstanding balance of £6,754.76 and since our assignment, we have received a total of £2,426.86 towards the balance bringing this down to the currently owed £4,327.90.

As per your request, I have reached out to NatWest for some additional documentation. Please be advised, as this is a current account overdraft, which was obtained before February 2011, it is not protected by CCA 1974. As such, no Application or Terms and Conditions are available nor required to be produced. These documents were given to you when the account was opened.

You can check with the branch where the account was opened to see if they have a copy, however, they are not regulated to retain copies of these documents. I can also confirm that final demand notices from the original creditor are possibly not retained and there is no requirement to issue a notice of default.

I am currently awaiting a copy of the Account Statement from NatWest and have also asked for confirmation of when the Overdraft was applied to your account. As we do not yet have this information, we are unable to fully satisfy your request.

As we have yet to provide the Account Statement and confirmation of when the Overdraft was applied to the account, we consider this account to be unenforceable. Therefore, we are currently unable to take enforcement action against you to recover the outstanding balance. Please be advised this does not mean that your debt has been written off, despite being unenforceable, we are still legally entitled to:
    • Contact you and ask your client to repay what they owe;
    • Pass your client’s details onto a third-party collection agency;
    • Continue to report the account with the credit reference bureaux; • Send your client statutory letters and annual statements.

If we obtain the Account Statement from NatWest in the future, we will provide this to you immediately. Your account will then become enforceable again allowing us to take appropriate action to recover the outstanding balance if necessary.”

They have since sent me a years worth of statements from 2017-2018. They have also provided a notice of assignment and told me the original account number.

I’ve been told this isn’t complaint by debt helpline but when I made a formal complaint, it wasn’t upheld. I can either go to the ombudsman or seek legal advice?
    Tags: None

Hi Debtbuster

Welcome to LB

Your overdraft isn't covered by CCA 1974, so they are correct in stating that they don't need to provide agreement, T's and C's etc because of when the requirement to provide documents came into force.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...39/section/61B

But you should chase them for T's and C's as they are holding you accountable under those T's and C's i.e. defaulting you, etc How do you know if you've been defaulted correctly?

At the moment the agreement is 'unenforceable', keep in mind that you have the option to go to the FOS, although they will agree with the Creditor on the CCA 1974 point.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi Debtbuster

Welcome to LB

Your overdraft isn't covered by CCA 1974, so they are correct in stating that they don't need to provide agreement, T's and C's etc because of when the requirement to provide documents came into force.

But you should chase them for T's and C's as they are holding you accountable under those T's and C's i.e. defaulting you, etc How do you know if you've been defaulted correctly?

At the moment the agreement is 'unenforceable', keep in mind that you have the option to go to the FOS, although they will agree with the Creditor on the CCA 1974 point.

I disagree im afraid. Yes Overdrafts are exempt from the form and content requirements, but they arent exempt under s78 as they are running account credit.

Section 74 CCA covers the exemption, under Part V. Part VI however covers matters during the currency of the agreement. Now, the question is, if there was a agreement when the account was opened it must be provided under s78 in my view. And of course the termination provisions would apply too either under s76 s98 or if there was a breach under s87(1) CCA.

Ive argued that s78 applies successfully in Court, but its not an easy argument to run.

And id also ask whether the debt is made up of any late payment charges or default charges.
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Hi Debtbuster

Welcome to LB

Thank you for the welcome and for your view.

I intend to refer to the FOS but as you say, with the most important issues stressed, mainly around enforceability.

I have to be careful because I work in an FCA regulated company and will need to avoid a CCJ.

Comment

Hi Debtbuster

Welcome to LB

Thanks PT.

I'll use this and see what comes back when I refer to the ombudsman. I'll certainly make a note to email your company should it look dicey.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X