• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Link CCA before F&F offer? Any advice please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Link CCA before F&F offer? Any advice please?

Hello. I stumbled across this forum whilst searching for information about full & final settlement offers and I am hoping for a little advice.

I ended up in a bit of a financial mess a few years ago and ended up defaulting on 3 credit card accounts. 2 of these I’ve been paying off – arranged with the collection agencies since 2018/9. The monthly payments are affordable, and I am happy to keep paying these.

The third defaulted debt is my largest at approximately 10K. This was an account taken out in 2014 & originally a Fluid account that was transitioned(?) into a MBNA account. My credit limit was raised a number of times – it was 16K at one point but thankfully I never got up there! – and then eventually my repayments were so high I had 3 bounce in a row and the account was closed in late 2019 and sold on to Link.

It’s now 3 years later and I have been half-heartedly contacted a few times, which is confusing to me given the size of the debt. I did speak to them (over the phone, very briefly) a year or so ago but they wouldn’t proceed as my details weren’t correct (I 100% gave them the correct details). I have moved in this time but had mail forwarding set up.

I have recently received a letter from Link saying that they haven’t contacted me for some time (true) as they couldn’t confirm my address. They’ve asked me to contact them to let them know my ‘intentions’.

I don’t have enough in savings to clear my debts in full at this time, but I’m desperate to move on and put this all behind me. I’d like to start with this MBNA/Link balance as I absolutely do not want this going to court. My mortgage deal also ends within 12 months and like most people I’m already panicking about rates.

Should I be sending Link a CCA request before assessing my next steps? From what I’ve read online they are one of the worst companies for accepting F&F settlements.

Many thanks in advance; this is all new to me so any advice would be gratefully received.
    Tags: None

Hi Pinball

Welcome to LB

The things to bare in mind are, these aren't priority debts, a Court will only ask you to pay what you can afford. What you need to do is nail down a income and expenditure form with regard to your priorities i.e. food, utility etc (but you need to take into consideration the 'cost of living' which could go on for some time). Then you offer to pay each month what you can reasonably afford, if it's a token £1, so be it.

The likely-hood is that they will have a valid CCA Agreement as it was taken out in 2014. But you can never tell with credit card companies. If they don't have a valid CCA Agreement that would strength your hand regards a Full and Final Settlement. These debts have been purchased for a fraction of the original debt, so Link won't lose out.

Mark any offers 'Without Prejudice', start with low offers, make sure you get Proof of Postage'.

https://nationaldebtline.org/fact-sh...ent-offers-ew/ (suggested offers bottom of page)

https://nationaldebtline.org/sample-...tlement-offer/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X