• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is it classed as settled or not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it classed as settled or not

If you have received a CCA form a credit card company, which as usual its a copy of a copy of an application for a credit card with various required information missing, and therefore deemed to be unenforceable.

Are you within your rights to claim the account is settled if the total of your drawings & purchases, is less than the total of all credits made.

e.g. Based on the fact you have paid for everything you have either purchased, and or been advanced, plus a bit more.

Re: Is it classed as settled or not

Sorry if this seems a stupid question, are you saying that all that is left to pay on the account is charges that have been added to the account?

Have you sent a SAR to see exactly what has been added?
    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

Originally posted by scottishlass View Post
      Sorry if this seems a stupid question, are you saying that all that is left to pay on the account is charges that have been added to the account?

Have you sent a SAR to see exactly what has been added?

Thanks for the reply

Basically

If you have all of the information regarding the account from start to present, and or finish, so there are no estimates only actuals.

Total of all payments/credits minus total of all purchases/drawings (including transfers etc.)

Therefore, "the current balance" is technically charges, interest, etc that has not been agreed.

Comment

Have the company agreed not to pursue the debt any further on the basis of an unenforceable contract ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No chance.

What I am asking is, if you are in a situation where you can show that all purchases/drawings/transfers have been paid for, and that the agreement is not enforceable, how do you resolve it.

Would it be legally classified as settled as the current balance showing is just an amalgamation of charges, and, or interest.

Comment

Best thing to do, I think (but I could be wrong here) is SAR, get list of charges, do Prelim LBA file at court. Win. The money you get back will be credited onto the account and cancel out the outstanding balance. Plus you'd get s69 interest at 8% so you might have a little bit left over for yourself. Which credit card company is it?
            Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
              Best thing to do, I think (but I could be wrong here) is SAR, get list of charges, do Prelim LBA file at court. Win. The money you get back will be credited onto the account and cancel out the outstanding balance. Plus you'd get s69 interest at 8% so you might have a little bit left over for yourself. Which credit card company is it?

You've missed the point slightly.

I've done that before and won several times.

I'll give a rough example

Current Balance £6500

Total of all purchases/drawings/transfers since beginning of card issue £23,500

Total of all payments/credits since the beginning of card issue £24,000

With no enforceable agreement in place, over time "technically the account has been paid plus £500.00.

The current balance is an amalgamation of charges, interest, PPI, etc.

The question is could you be forced to pay the current balance.

Comment

I think the answer to that is no - however I don't know about the marked as settled on the CRA without the creditor agreeing that the rest is written off ?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  I think the answer to that is no - however I don't know about the marked as settled on the CRA without the creditor agreeing that the rest is written off ?

I don't think it would be forced as common sense would show that you have paid more than you have had.

The key is to get a judgement on the validity of an agreement as quick as possible, who can you send it to that carries enough weight to then make the credit card company mark it as settled and then remove all adverse data.

In this sort of situation any claim for charges plus some interest will in no way cover the current balance.

Comment

A court would need to rule that the agreement is unenforcable. Following the Rankine judgment there is a school of thought that it is now better for a Creditor or a DCA if they have legal assignment of the debt to take you to court rather than you to attempt to take them to court. That way your defence is that the agreement is you beleive unenforcable and the charges arguement could also feature in your defence and/or in any counter claim to show that the balance outstanding is not a true balance total anyway.

Tanz

Comment

why take the cc comapny to court over the charges, they counter claim with the enforcable agreement approach since unless you have told them of your thoughts/position rthey will assume you are a hpaless consumer who knows nothing, you then defend the counterclaim using the unenforceable agreement route?

Just a thought

glenn

Comment

lol not lost your no-nonsense approach I see Glenn!

Wxxx
                        I am not going to sit on my ass as the events that affect me unfold to determine the course of my life. I'm going to take a stand. I'm going to defend it. Right or wrong, I'm going to defend it... (cameron) Ferris Beuller's day off....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X