• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Studio Cards Catalogue late charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studio Cards Catalogue late charges

Ok so I am fuming, absolutely furious!!! :mad2:

I took out an account with studio just after Christmas, One of the reasons I chose to do it was also because the maximum amount I would have to pay in a month would be £10 with a £200 credit limit, or £20 if I had defaulted on a payment.

Now one time I did forget to make a payment, received a reminder and paid the £20 default charge, took it on the chin - I forgot, I knew the terms so I paid up. This time however I think they are trying their luck!

I pay online using a prepay credit card, and my payment of £10 was due on 10/05/12. I went online and paid it on 08/05/12 or so I thought. There must have been a technical glitch as the payment did not go through as it now turns out. I do vaguely remember there being some trouble with paying it at the time but I have slept since then lol. Anyway I was checking my credit card statement on 17/05/12 and noticed that a payment to studio wasn't listed and so I checked the studio site. There was no record of the payment, so obviously it hadn't gone through.
    My account online page on 17/05/12 with studio stated that the minimum payment outstanding was £10 due by 10/05/12 - which was now obviously 7 days late. There were no default amounts on the account. I paid the £10 immediately and double checked back that it had gone through which it has on 19/05/12 and today is cleared in the studio account and on my credit card statement.

However today on my account online page and on a link they provide to your last statement (dated 17/05/12) (which I have yet to receive) they have charged me a £20 default sum! I have to pay £20 instead of £10 by 7th June and it is actually listed on my statement as a default sum.

My problem with this time is that in their terms and conditions in the part about 'Our Credit Agreement' they say that should you fail to make a payment or pay less than the minimum amount due by the due date and they or someone acting on their behalf have to remind me to make such a payment, they reserve the right to charge a default sum for up to £20 each time they have to remind me. Now, I have not received a reminder for this, so what exactly are they charging me for? They state that they reserve the right to charge a sum when they or someone acting for them reminds me, I have had no such reminder and no default sum was present on my account on the day I paid. It would seem that the amount has been added after payment was made. I realise that although I paid the amount on 17/05/12 before the default was added it didn't clear until 19/05/12, and my statement was dated 17/05/12 but I don't think it's fair that they are still charging me for it on my account online page.

I have emailed them stating everything and asking them to remove the £20 default charge as I do not think it is correct, they say that they charge this if they have to remind you, which they did not (OK it may well be in the post but I have paid before it was sent) so I have asked them to remove the amount from my account or provide me with a detailed explanation why I have been charged this amount.

I will post back when I receive anything from them, should I also send a copy by post? Any input as to whether I am likely to get it or anything else I need to do greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Studio Cards Catalogue late charges

Normally with companies like this, if you are a big enough thorn in their side, they'll remove the default just to get rid of you. Play on your good repayment record and the fact that you did attempt to make payment before the due date (do you have any proof of this?) If you remain polite, but persistent, repeatedly asking 'When did I get the reminder?' they will have to confess you didn't, so if that is their T&C's, they must abide by them and refund your money.

Comment

Unless Studio Cards can prove they or a third party acting on their behalf have actually sent a reminder to you, the £20 charge they are making is outside the scope of their terms and conditions. In such circumstances, they cannot legitimately levy the charge, regardless of whether the payment didn't show up until seven days after the due date. If their accounting system is defective and inefficient, they can't use that as an excuse for adding charges (though many do try this). Ask them for proof of a reminder and, if they can't, tell them to take a hike and remove the charge from your account.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Oh my goodness (which was not the actual words I can assure you lol) but seriously, sometimes I wonder about people I really do.

Yesterday I sent another email to them, stating that a) I hadn't even received an acknowledgement to my 1st email and b) detailing it all again. I've just got in from work and received an email back from them. (Funny how in my 2nd e-mail I said if this one wasn't acknowledged then I'd send a letter recorded delivery and if that was ignored I'd seek advice from the ombudsman.....)

Anyway this one has me angry, amused and amazed, see what you think........

In the reply I was told firstly that my complaint was not being upheld, and that in the CA I signed the fees for late payments are listed, and the fee was added to my account before ​they received payment (It wasn't on my account page on line when I went on to pay on 17/05/12 though!). I paid on 17/05/12 but not cleared until 19/05/12. However they have removed the default fee as a 'gesture of goodwill'. Great.

Then they go on to say that my account is in arrears, with a minimum payment of £9.85 due by 19/05/12, and to please ensure it reaches them by then. Any one got one of these??????????? LOL:_thedoctor__by_GuyF

Firstly, obviously it is impossible for me to make the payment by then. I cannot time travel. Secondly though I don't even know where this has come from, simply put -

*10/05/12 - Payment of £10 due, account up to date.
        *17/05/12 - Payment of £10 (cleared 19/05/12)(late by 9 days)
        *17/05/12 - Default fee of £20 added (however NOT present on account when payment above made)
        *19/05/12 - 1st email sent
        *23/05/12 - 2nd email sent
        *24/05/12 - reply to email, default sum removed as goodwill gesture, informed account in arrears by £9.85 which must be paid 4 days ago.

So I'm thinking that either they are thick, or they think I am and have said that I am in arrears and must pay this by an impossible date, so they can whack another default fee on and I will then be £30 out of pocket, as I will pay the £9.85 and then be hit with another £20 default fee, and only the £9.85 and the £10 payment I made on 19th will come off by balance.

I have emailed back saying that I will pay the £9.85 today, and also pay £10 on 06/06/12 for my next due payment, but as it is impossible for me to pay it by 19/05/12 I expect that this will be reflected in my next statement and I will not be charged another £20 default fee. I'll be watching my balance carefully, in their email they state my current balance is £52.34 - so when the £9.85 comes off I expect a balance of £42.49 and then as of 6th June a balance of £32.49. It's all I'll be paying at any rate so if they get funny I'll pay the £32.49 and close the account!

How on earth can they make something like removing a default fee so damn confusing!!!!

Anyone know a half decent catalogue company?!msl:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X