• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Credit Debt - mum using my name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit Debt - mum using my name

Any response would be appreciated.

Recently, I have received a CCJ from Lowells Solicitors saying that I owe money for a catalogue at JD Williams. I have no knowledge of this and have never had an account with them.

I have had contact with Lowells who placed the account under investigation and followed up with contacting JD Williams who after a few days of conversation accepted it was not my account and over the phone accepted it was fraud.

The account was opened up at my Mum’s address with her email. I have never lived at that address and only had my post going there as I’m currently a student but have always lived at my nans. All my documentation has been registered at my mum’s for multiple years as I never got around to changing it until this year due to workload of being a student.

That account is still under investigation by Lowells Solicitors even though JD Williams accepted it as fraud.

Today I have received two other letters from Lowells Financial LTD about accounts with Very and Littlewoods which I also have no knowledge of, this letter was headed with ‘pre-legal assessment’. After contacting them they have placed the account under investigation.

I believe my mum opened the accounts in my name due to my good credit history previously which JD Williams accepted and passed that on to Lowells Solicitors from the first case.

This is killing me as I’m supposed to move away towards the end of the year for study abroad but now I’m at my wits end as I have no knowledge of this as I had never been given any letters so I believe my mum hid them from me.

Does anyone have any advice? I have a solicitor but I really need this sorted out swiftly as I have so much to sort out before I move away.

Any advice would be thoroughly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Lothuri View Post
    Any response would be appreciated.

Recently, I have received a CCJ from Lowells Solicitors saying that I owe money for a catalogue at JD Williams. I have no knowledge of this and have never had an account with them.

I have had contact with Lowells who placed the account under investigation and followed up with contacting JD Williams who after a few days of conversation accepted it was not my account and over the phone accepted it was fraud.

The account was opened up at my Mum’s address with her email. I have never lived at that address and only had my post going there as I’m currently a student but have always lived at my nans. All my documentation has been registered at my mum’s for multiple years as I never got around to changing it until this year due to workload of being a student.

That account is still under investigation by Lowells Solicitors even though JD Williams accepted it as fraud.

Today I have received two other letters from Lowells Financial LTD about accounts with Very and Littlewoods which I also have no knowledge of, this letter was headed with ‘pre-legal assessment’. After contacting them they have placed the account under investigation.

I believe my mum opened the accounts in my name due to my good credit history previously which JD Williams accepted and passed that on to Lowells Solicitors from the first case.

This is killing me as I’m supposed to move away towards the end of the year for study abroad but now I’m at my wits end as I have no knowledge of this as I had never been given any letters so I believe my mum hid them from me.

Does anyone have any advice? I have a solicitor but I really need this sorted out swiftly as I have so much to sort out before I move away.

Any advice would be thoroughly appreciated.

Thanks!
    It shouldnt be too tricky to challenge these, afterall when an account is opened the creditor has certain checks they have to carry out , so id first ask them what money laundering checks were done

Second, id ask for details of any items ordered, any addresses they were delivered to, time and date fo delivery, who signed for them, and then id look at where you were at that time, if you were say 100s of miles away and the items were allegedly signed for by you, then it may be possible to argue that it is clear that fraud has taken place.

I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X