• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

New savings industry website to trace lost accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New savings industry website to trace lost accounts

Released on BBA Website - BBA Association - New savings industry website to trace lost accounts

mylostaccount.org.uk – the first free, 'one-stop shop' website to trace building society, bank and NS&I (National Savings and Investments) accounts is launched today, supported by press and online advertising.

Also Channel 4 News - Channel 4 - News - Website helps to find lost accounts
    Last edited by Amethyst; 30th January 2008, 15:20:PM.

Re: New savings industry website to trace lost accounts

mylostaccount.org.uk – the first free, 'one-stop shop' website to trace building society, bank and NS&I (National Savings and Investments) accounts is launched today, supported by press and online advertising.

Commenting on the new website, Angela Knight, Chief Executive of the British Bankers' Association, said:
    "mylostaccount.org.uk will enable account holders to initiate a search for their lost bank, building society and NS&I accounts at the click of a button. It builds on the three existing central tracing services and will improve accessibility significantly. It is a key part of the industry’s commitment to make further steps towards reunifying customers with their money in advance of the statute-backed unclaimed assets scheme."

Brian Morris, Head of Savings Policy at the Building Societies Association said:
    "We want to reunite as many people as possible with their money; after all, it belongs to them. This free website will make it even easier for building society members and other customers looking for their lost accounts to track them down. Bringing together the three existing schemes means you can now search for building society, bank and NS&I accounts all in one go."

John Prout, Sales and Customer Retention Director at NS&I said:
    "NS&I were very pleased to work with the BBA and BSA in reuniting savers with their lost money; we have all been leading the way for some time in helping people to reclaim lost or forgotten savings. At this time of year, finding a little extra money in a forgotten account is a welcome surprise for our customers."

How does mylostaccount.org.uk work?

If someone thinks they have a lost account with a bank, a building society or with NS&I they can visit mylostaccount.org.uk and follow a few simple steps to start a search.
    The online form can be completed by the account holder or a nominated representative (this can include a partner, next of kin or beneficiary), giving as much detail as possible, including any previous names and addresses of the account holder. This information only needs to be provided once before being passed securely to the bank, building society and/or NS&I.
    Once a trace has been completed, the relevant organisation will respond directly to the customer and any account reactivated, following the relevant security checks. Claims will be dealt with as soon as possible and within three months of receiving the claim form.

How do accounts get lost?

One of the most common reasons why people lose track of their savings is through failing to update financial providers with their new contact details when moving house. People may also forget childhood savings accounts, and often if people do not make a will or if they forget to tell executors about all of their finances, accounts can be overlooked.
    The unclaimed assets scheme

Under the statute–backed unclaimed assets scheme, due to be introduced in 2009, genuinely lost bank and building society account money will be transferred for use on community causes. While the banks and building societies have committed to redoubling their reunification activity in the run up to the introduction of the scheme, the transfer has no bearing on the right of individual accounts holders to reclaim their money at any time and banks and building societies will continue to help people searching for these monies.

Using the definition for the Unclaimed Assets scheme (ie having no customer-initiated activity for at least 15 years) the amount estimated to lie unclaimed in dormant and lost accounts is approximately £250 – £350 million for banks and up to £150 million for building societies. There is a further £466 million in NS&I dormant accounts.
    Further promotion

mylostaccount.org.uk aims to reach a wide audience and will be promoted by an extensive national advertising campaign. This campaign will be fronted by a cartoon image, 'Fetch' the dog, whose aim is to assist the UK public to retrieve their lost cash, via a simple online process. The online and print advertising campaign will commence on 4 February 2008.
    To accompany the advertising campaign and to maximise awareness, we are encouraging other financial and consumer interest websites to provide a link to mylostaccount.org.uk.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

just don't use it if you're hiding from old creditors
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

ROFLMAO....that was my first thought.

I always thought moving house was the perfect time to 'lose' my bank.msl:
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

What a great idea, some years ago, we were contacted by someone who said they had found some money that belonged to my aunt that had passed away some 20 years earlier. I searched and searched for this without fail and eventually we conceded to use this company that had found this money and true enough she had shares which were missed when she died and her estate was tied up. The long and the short this money we found had to be shared with the peeps that found it as a finders fee.

So if it helps peeps dicover money they had forgotton about or indeed a relative that may have died and not all the money may have been found as in our case - then it is a good thing.

Happy hunting

xxxxx

Comment

Well I've just tried this - I had a savings account from being at school, and used it for my first ever wages going in, but when I opened a current account I stopped using it. Then I moved and lost the book and never thought anything about it. Lets see if it works [and if I've actually any money still in it - prob about £1 lol but it will have earnt about 15 years worth of interest lol]

Comment

Originally posted by PJ69 View Post
              Well I've just tried this - I had a savings account from being at school, and used it for my first ever wages going in, but when I opened a current account I stopped using it. Then I moved and lost the book and never thought anything about it. Lets see if it works [and if I've actually any money still in it - prob about £1 lol but it will have earnt about 15 years worth of interest lol]
              That should now be worth a bottle of wine!
              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Originally posted by Celestine View Post
                That should now be worth a bottle of wine!
                Wooohoooo It's definately worth something then!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X