• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ebay - Hints, Tips and Ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay - Hints, Tips and Ideas

The New Year is here, so it's time for a clear out, so why not make some money from your unwanted stuff.

I've been an eBay member since 2001, and a semi-serious seller since 2004.
    Recently passed 1000 +ve feedback.

Now these hints, tips and ideas are ones that I have found work well and have produced good results for me.
    I'm NOT talking business selling here, simply a bit of extra monthly income.

So before you even start listing you'll need to find things to sell.
    We all have junk that been sitting around for ages that we no longer need or use.
    Well someone out there will pay you for it.

Also you'll need:

• Computer with net access - Pretty obvious really
    • Printer and paper
    • Various Packaging - there's lots of suppliers on eBay
    • Scales - for postage weights
    • Digital Camera - got to show the punters what they are bidding on
    • eBay sellers account - Free and easy to set up here: Create a Seller's Account
    • Paypal Account - A MUST have, best to go for Premier for selling: Welcome - PayPal

Additionally I would recomend:

A Bulk Listing Tool - Turbo Lister (http://pages.ebay.com/TURBO_LISTER/) or Auctiva (http://www.auctiva.com/) are both FREE
    It's alot easier to compose your listing "off line" and in your own time, than trying to list numerous items via the web interface. This way you can also ensure you have a good professional looking, eye catching item with maximum impact.

So now for the listing itself.

Pictures:
    • Take a few of each item and choose the best one(s).
    • After all a good picture speaks a thousand words.
    • The first picture is FREE with TL. This displays next to the title on the listing page.

Title:
    • Keep it as accurate as possible in the available space. I like to highlight any brand names with stars, * Brand Name *
    • Don't bother with some of these silly L@@K or similar letter art, they just put people off.
    • Key Words are your friend, so if in doubt have a look at similar listings for pointers.

Description:

• Make it snappy.
    • Keep it clean and tidy.
    • Don't use ALL CAPS or Silly font/colour combos. This just puts people off
    • Be Honest, lies will come back and haunt you.
    • Don't overload the listing with unneeded flourishes, like pictures, borders or backgrounds. Remember NOT everyone is on a super fast connection.
    • Mention the condition, pet/smoke free home etc.
    • Include a link to your other listings and your payment preferences.

Couple of important acronyms that are great for Titles:

• BNIB - Brand New In Box
    • BNIP - Brand New In Pack
    • BNWT - Brand New With Tags
    • BNWOT - Brand New Without Tags
    • BNWL - Brand new with labels

More on the listing itself.

• ALWAYS offer Paypal as primary payment method.
    • Other methods are up to you, but I rarely take anything other than Paypal.
    • Cash On Collection is fine as it makes sense for bulkier items.

Auction or Buy It Now:

Both are useful.
    If you don't mind what you get for an item then an Auction with a low start is the best idea. Let the market run its course.
    The advantage of a Buy It Now is flexibility. You can take Best Offer prices on these items and even counter back.
    I find this better for larger or more expensive items.

NEVER use both Buy It Now AND Auction, unless the BUY price is only slightly below the Auction.
    Once the auction bidding starts the Buy price disappears.
    Don't bother with reserves as this also puts people off, simply make your starting price closer to what you'd like.
    Remember to compare prices to see what the market is asking.

Either way which ever you choose, to maximise exposure list for 10 Days, starting on a Thursday evening so it ends on a Sunday evening. This is the busiest time for eBay and also gives TWO weekends for people to browse.

Postage:

• DON'T take the pi$$. You will either get reported, receive negative feedback, have a paypal claim, or worst all three.
    • That being said a small profit is expected.
    • Don't bother with Second class, FIRST class as a minimum. Looks better to the buyer as they will receive the item quicker.
    • You can also use Paypal to do all of your postage online, so no more waiting around at the Post Office for stamps.
    • Include a postage/compliment slip with every item sent, adds a nice little touch.

Pricing:

• PRICE POINTS
    • Yes these are still very important.
    • £9.99 still feels less than £10.00 even online.
    • Getting this right will also up your listing in searches as you can use it to under cut similar traders.
    • Also use price points in postage as well for the same reasons.

Couple of final points:

Always preview your listings before you upload them to ensure they are all complete and laid out correctly.
    Remember you will be dealing with other private individuals, so the Golden Rule of Customer Services applies:

Treat People How YOU would Expected To Be Treated.

Most of all have fun, after all this isn't your life. More can be found here: eBay.co.uk Guides - EBAY CODES)
    Last edited by Curlyben; 9th January 2009, 14:53:PM.

Re: Ebay - Hints, Tips and Ideas

Thanks Curly the Turbo Lister and Auctiva are brilliant! Auctiva also puts a conveyor belt thingy at the bottom of every listing with pictures and prices of everything else you are selling!

All the stuff I am selling at the moment is junk that has been cluttering up my house, garage and attic. I didnt think that people would want to buy half of it but they are..... If you are strapped for cash like me or just want to declutter get ebaying!
    Dragging myself and my family back into the light with the help of Beagles.

My Hardship Claim
    Me VS Abbey Win
    BIL HSBC Credit Card
    BIL EGG
    BIL HSBC Loan
    BIL PPI Win

Comment

I've been eBaying for a while now and have a count of 90 =ve feedback, but have always just ploughed along listing and listing and so on.

So I've downloaded Turbolister and very nice it looks too, except for its in US Dollars. Have I don't something wrong ? Is there anything I can do to rectify the situation ?

Comment

A bunch of new pages from Paypal concerning selling and getting more from eBay shich should prove useful.

PayPal for Sellers : PayPal

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X