• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What are FOS supposed to be doing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are FOS supposed to be doing

HI
    I have a claim of over £4000 from HSBC for charges. This has been ongoing for months now and their 8 weeks to pay out was up the day before the test case was announced, goiving them the wonderful chance not to pay!!
    But as mine was a case of hardship, im a recently seperated single mum with a disabled child and suffer ill health myself, even when i was married we were on working tax credits as husband was a low earner, now my only form of income is child tax credit and disability allowances.
    I therefore asked the bank to continue with my claim under the hardship rules, they refused many times so i took it to FOS. Initially they appeared to take the claim on, they said they wrote to the bank (didnt/wouldnt tell me what), I was then asked by the bank to complete and income and expenditure form, which i did and have heard nothing since. FOS sent all the paperwork back. I then contacted FOS again and said nothing from bank so what now, they said return all paperwork, so i did, heard nothing, contacted FOS, was told hadnt been allocared yet (2 months after returning paperwork). Eventually they said they had again written to the bank (wouldnt tell me what).
    To cut a long story short, i contacted FOS again a couple of weeks ago only to be told that although they had written to the bank they have not and will not be asking any banks to repay charges, even in hardship cases!! NOW THEY TELL ME!!!! So what they are doing i have no idea, the lady as FOS was rude and not nice made me feel it was all my fault and tough i would have to wait like everyone else and that even then there is no guarantee i will get any money. She said that NO banks were paying out anymore under ANY circumstances (despite me reading on forums that some had, but she wouldnt have it!!!!
    I am in a lot of debt and totally reliant on benefits, disabled child and ill health myself.
    In one of the letters from the bank they admit that they are aware that my only form of income is benefits, so surely they should be dealing with my case under the hardship rules. They just say that if i am having financial difficulties then i should go to CAB!!!!
    I have been left with debts around 20,000 from my marriage split up, so things are desperate, but no one seems to want to listen, just what are FOS supposed to be there for!!!!!
    The bank continue to charge me on a monthly basis, around 150 for charges (ive now gotten into the spirral of continuous overdrawn due to them taking my benefit money in charges (FOS didnt want to know about that either)!!
    Any ideas anyone

thanks

Re: What are FOS supposed to be doing

Could you open another bank account and have your money paid into that instead? If you move any d/ds as well, you'll then be starting with a clean slate, so to speak, and you could pay in xxx per month to the old account to cover interest they will be charging you on the overdraft. I've not had dealings with HSBC myself so not too clear on how they operate, but no doubt someone on will be along soon who does.

To be honest I can't see the banks, FOS or anyone else getting any charges back while the OFT case is going on.
    Is no longer here

Comment

I do have another account set up, but i have a managed load with HSBC and i dont want them to take all the 4000 i may get back in charges off the loan, so was keeping everything there until i was paid back then was going to move everything over and just set up a direct debit to pay the loan (after ive negotiated a lower repayment), but dont want to rock the boat and risk them taking anything i get back in charges straight off the loan, as i have never defaulted on it so unless theres no money going into the account there is no reason for them to change the arrangement.
      I need the lump sum, and not have htem take it all, if u get my meaning

Comment

You do not say if you have actually filed a claim at your local court. Have you done this?

Comment

No i havent filed at court, thats my next step really, its only in the last couple of weeks that i have come to realise that FOS are of no use and wont get my money back. Was waiting for outcome of test case before lodging with courts, in the hope that if its a good result they may pay out without court.
          I wish i had gone to court in the 1st place months ago.

I made the mistake of thinking FOS would be helpful!!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X