• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debit Card Removed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debit Card Removed

Hi Everyone, I'm hoping someone could give me some advise.

I have banked with natwest for over 6 years and have 2 first reserve accounts and a joint current account with my wife that we both pay money into to cover the bills. We both use first reserve accounts for our day to day transactions and withdraws. I work away so depend on using my visa debit card to pay for meals and sundries as does my wife for shopping ect.

I have received a replacement card from natwest as mine is cracked and is no longer a visa debit card, just a cash card. I spoke via chat to natwest and have been told that this is correct and thy are no longer going to issue them on this account and I would need another current account so I applied online and have been refused as I don't meet their criteria!!!

We both work full time and both our wages are paid into these first reserve accounts and have never been overdrawn.

My question is how can natwest just change accounts as they wish when I've been using this account with a debit card for over 6 years?
    . If they won't give me another current account how can they just cut off my lifeline when I'm away?.
    Tags: None

Re: Debit Card Removed

Without wishing to sound cruel or judgemental - because they can? They can decide on any banking terms they like. Your choice is to take your banking elsewhere if you don't like it. And that is what I would do - take my account somewhere else.

Comment

To be clear to the OP the First Reserve account is designed to be a SAVINGS account and not a fully functional current account which you are using it from. I would add that they did not simply "cut off your lifeline" but either (a) you asked for a replacement card or (b) the card was renewed. The fact that you use the account as it was not intended is irrelevant.

As Eloise has said, you as an individual can vote with your feet and take your money elsewhere.
      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

We had the same, moved the first reserve to another bank.
        We did have a letter about it earlier this year and Nat West said that this account should not have had a debit card anyway, BUT! we had asked for a replacement for Mr DT shortly before this and they did supply a debit card!
        Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
          To be clear to the OP the First Reserve account is designed to be a SAVINGS account and not a fully functional current account which you are using it from. I would add that they did not simply "cut off your lifeline" but either (a) you asked for a replacement card or (b) the card was renewed. The fact that you use the account as it was not intended is irrelevant.

As Eloise has said, you as an individual can vote with your feet and take your money elsewhere.
          How have they not cut off my lifeline, I work away and it's not always possible to get to or find a cashpoint, the account I opened was issued with a debit facility which they have decided to remove, they tell me to open a select account and then refuse my application!!?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Sparky View Post
            How have they not cut off my lifeline, I work away and it's not always possible to get to or find a cashpoint, the account I opened was issued with a debit facility which they have decided to remove, they tell me to open a select account and then refuse my application!!?
            They are not obliged to offer you any banking service at all, never mind any specific features. So if you want a debit card and they won't let you have one, then go to another bank that will. Simples.

Comment

The letter stated that it would change in August (letter came sometime in April) but that still does not explain why they sent Mr DT a debit card for this account!
              Moved to just a basic account at Barclay's and this has a debit card very simple to do.!
              Is the OP also aware that they are also changing the currant accounts?
              If you have or use your overdraft you will be charged £6 per month along with any interest.
              Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Sparky View Post
                You are using a savings account as a personal current account which is not what the account is intended to do. The bank are in all honesty doing something about the fact that the First Reserve account has been abused a lot in terms of the fact that people misuse the cards and set up or try to set up Direct Debits which should not happen. As others have said, find a bank that will accept you for a basic account with a debit card facility.
                "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hve to say that if the bank have withdrawn the card they have withdrawn it end of,have a feeling they have the upper hand here

Comment

Nationwide do a decent basic account too,,with debit card..Apply online..get sent paperwork..take ID down to a branch..within 10 days card is delivered.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X