• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lloyds just pulled a HSBC on me - unathorised payment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lloyds just pulled a HSBC on me - unathorised payment

I removed a no longer valid entry from my direct debits in internet bank
    Then the company debited me and Lloyds let it out, about 1,5-2 weeks after I removed it

I am on the phone with them for 2 hours, and I quoted 2x the PSR 55(3)(4) and 67(3) and 77, and the FSA "Know Your Rights" and they tell me that is for direct debits and standing orders despite the FSA clearly noting the "continuous payment authority"

I am attracting this same thing I think!!! Are they right?

So they say they can claim it from this company but they can't refund me? insert facepalm smiley here.

ps - they kept telling me it's not their responsibility but the company's who took my money.
    Tags: None

Re: Lloyds just pulled a HSBC on me - unathorised payment

http://www.directdebit.co.uk/DIRECTD...Guarantee.aspx

Direct Debit Guarantee

Your rights
    Organisations using the Direct Debit Scheme go through a careful vetting process before they're authorised, and are closely monitored by the banking industry. The efficiency and security of Direct Debit is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society.
    The Direct Debit Guarantee applies to all Direct Debits. It protects you in the rare event that there is an error in the payment of your Direct Debit.
    Direct Debit Guarantee
    • The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
    • If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
    • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
      • If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to

• You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.

M1

Comment

GOOD MORNING YOU ALL,

What they told me at least half-dozen times is when I give my card details to a company to make a DEBIT CARD PAYMENT (as they categorise this) that is NOT a Direct Debit (Though it shows under DD's category in Internet Banking... :tape2: ) and thus it cannot be unathorised. This was the Lloyds version.

Thanks to leclerc, who posted this in my thread about HSBC that did almost the same to me last September
      http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/co...ghts_guide.pdf

Cancelling a regular card payment

When you give your credit or debit card details to a company and authorise them to take regular payments from your account, such as for a gym membership or magazine subscription, it is known as a ‘recurring transaction’ or ‘continuous payment authority’. These are often confused with direct debits, but do not offer the same guarantee if the amount or date of the payment changes.
      In most cases, regular payments can be cancelled by telling the company taking the payments. However, you have the right to cancel them directly with your bank or card issuer by telling it that you have stopped permission for the payments. Your bank or card issuer must then stop them – it has no right to insist that you agree this first with the company taking the payments.
      Be aware, though, that you will still be responsible for paying any money that you owe.

I read this up to Lloyds. Also read up the Payment Services Regulations, 55 (3) , 55 (4) , 67 (3) , 77. (Which I also learned about from leclerc, and CleverClogs, huge thank you to both of you for preparing me to handle this situation appropriately to its nature!)

To their credit they confirmed they refund me £44 for the two hours call half of which was spent on hold to Fraud Prevention, who seemingly have decided not taking calls in the last 45 minutes of their shift then went home. But, I was told to call back this morning because only Fraud Prevention can look into refund.

What Lloyds is saying, they can dispute the credit card payment in my name, but they don't think refund is applicable by them. :blabla::blah:

I find it absolutely ironic that I ran into the same thing (almost) with two separate banks, within a year, but at least this side of it makes me msl:
      I intend not to let Lloyds handle it the way HSBC did. :rant:

Comment

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...-claim-redress

M1

Comment

Originally posted by QueenAnne View Post
          GOOD MORNING YOU ALL,

What they told me at least half-dozen times is when I give my card details to a company to make a DEBIT CARD PAYMENT (as they categorise this) that is NOT a Direct Debit (Though it shows under DD's category in Internet Banking... :tape2: ) and thus it cannot be unathorised. This was the Lloyds version.

Thanks to leclerc, who posted this in my thread about HSBC that did almost the same to me last September
          http://www.fsa.gov.uk/static/pubs/co...ghts_guide.pdf

Cancelling a regular card payment

When you give your credit or debit card details to a company and authorise them to take regular payments from your account, such as for a gym membership or magazine subscription, it is known as a ‘recurring transaction’ or ‘continuous payment authority’. These are often confused with direct debits, but do not offer the same guarantee if the amount or date of the payment changes.
          In most cases, regular payments can be cancelled by telling the company taking the payments. However, you have the right to cancel them directly with your bank or card issuer by telling it that you have stopped permission for the payments. Your bank or card issuer must then stop them – it has no right to insist that you agree this first with the company taking the payments.
          Be aware, though, that you will still be responsible for paying any money that you owe.

I read this up to Lloyds. Also read up the Payment Services Regulations, 55 (3) , 55 (4) , 67 (3) , 77. (Which I also learned about from leclerc, and CleverClogs, huge thank you to both of you for preparing me to handle this situation appropriately to its nature!)

To their credit they confirmed they refund me £44 for the two hours call half of which was spent on hold to Fraud Prevention, who seemingly have decided not taking calls in the last 45 minutes of their shift then went home. But, I was told to call back this morning because only Fraud Prevention can look into refund.

What Lloyds is saying, they can dispute the credit card payment in my name, but they don't think refund is applicable by them. :blabla::blah:
          Was it a continuous payment authority, ie that it was paid monthly? If the answer is yes then they are talking a whole crock of shit
          I find it absolutely ironic that I ran into the same thing (almost) with two separate banks, within a year, but at least this side of it makes me msl:
          I intend not to let Lloyds handle it the way HSBC did. :rant:
          Can you confirm the question in red(and not the crock of shit bit ).
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Hi leclerc,

I think it was CPA, tho it was listed as Direct Debit in internet banking and so I canceled there - but it was card # not account/sort-code, payments listed as 'CD'

either/or - I had a call with Lloyds today and they confirmed a full refund in 24 hours. There was very little dispute - now that I finally made it to Fraud Prevention - I said what it was, and there was no argument. SUCCESS!!! :dance:

and to you :hug:for all your help in the HSBC thread because that made this possible.

EDIT:
            From your link, going here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...-card-payments
            A CPA should not be confused with a direct debit, where you give a business your sort code and account number for it to take payments. These can be cancelled much more easily by simply deleting the direct debit 'mandate' from your current account settings.
            And that is exactly where I made the cancellation I refer to in this post! And it should have been a CPA, and any other CPA's of mine are not listed under DD but this was. Dubious.
            Last edited by QueenAnne; 2nd July 2013, 20:28:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X