• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reclaming charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclaming charges

Hi
    I am sure this has been asked before.
    I am not talking about PPI but about late payment/overlimit/default charges for all sorts of current accounts/loans/credit cards and PDL's

My "good friends" OTR just keep hammerng on about reclaimng O/D charges or PDL charges and credit /catalogue late payment charges but fail to say how and why they are reclaimable.

I am aware that if you can show fnancal hardship such as they are taking your benefits to pay your charges then things can be done

The rest however is confusing

All my loans and cards have charges (irrelevant to me as I can't pay anyway) but if I wanted to reclaim them to bring the balances down how would I go about it?
    Tags: None

Re: Reclaming charges

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
    Hi
    I am sure this has been asked before.
    I am not talking about PPI but about late payment/overlimit/default charges for all sorts of current accounts/loans/credit cards and PDL's

My "good friends" OTR just keep hammerng on about reclaimng O/D charges or PDL charges and credit /catalogue late payment charges but fail to say how and why they are reclaimable.

I am aware that if you can show fnancal hardship such as they are taking your benefits to pay your charges then things can be done

The rest however is confusing

All my loans and cards have charges (irrelevant to me as I can't pay anyway) but if I wanted to reclaim them to bring the balances down how would I go about it?
    If they are saying reclaim them then ask them?
    If the OTR refers to CAG then they will say using BCOB's which does not cover overdrafts or loans so they are wrong.
    Financial hardship issues relates to the fact that bank charges impact on your ability to pay priority debts which are mortgage/rent, utilities, council tax, HP on car you use for work, etc etc but is not necessary that the bank JUST take charges from the benefits.

In regards to charges on loans and charges on credit cards, I would argue that IF the payment could have been made without their being PPI on the account that those charges should be added and asked about for the simple reason that redress should put you back into the position should the issue not have occurred.
    I will explain, if the PPI had not been added to the loan could the payment have been made on the lower amount? If the answer is yes then I would tend to argue that redress has not covered the charges made as a direct result of the PPI being added.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Thanks leclerc

Yes I do mean Cag and as for asking them , I frequently do but never ever get any real answer. At most I get the answer "they are unlawful"

I am not just coming on here to score bonus points over them ,although that is a nice secondary benefit, but it is for my own knowledge. I knew about BCOBS not covering OD's thanks to your goodself before but it was all the other late payment charges etc.
      I realise that if a PDL were to try court action the charges would almost certainly be classed as excessive, but ordinary credit card charges and catalogue late charges...well they are I assume more difficult to argue

Comment

Originally posted by jon1965 View Post
        Thanks leclerc

Yes I do mean Cag and as for asking them , I frequently do but never ever get any real answer. At most I get the answer "they are unlawful
        That is crap advice if they cannot explain why they are unlawful and how you reclaim them.
        I am not just coming on here to score bonus points over them(I could run ring around them and enjoy the sport but I am a lot less bothered about them than back in the day!!) ,although that is a nice secondary benefit, but it is for my own knowledge. I knew about BCOBS not covering OD's thanks to your goodself before but it was all the other late payment charges etc.
        I realise that if a PDL were to try court action the charges would almost certainly be classed as excessive, but ordinary credit card charges and catalogue late charges...well they are I assume more difficult to argue
        At the moment the FOS is accepting(erroneous in my view) the idea of £12 being a limit that if you were charged higher excluding Egg, then they would refund the difference. It's a biatch to argue at the moment.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X