• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank account closed down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank account closed down

I lost my job last year and have been unable to get my overdraft back into the black, my banks charges have put me over my overdraft limit and now the bank have shut my account down and have passed the supposed debt to bailifs, i have told the bailif company to hand it back to the bank to save their time and mine as i am not willing to deal with them.
    However i would like to know how i stand with the bank as i now have no bank account and should i get a new job i have no way of paying in any pay cheques.
    Are overdrafts classed the same as a bank loan?
    I have also been looking at a site called Freeman on the land, they claim that you do not have to pay any loan from a bank back as YOU the borrower made the money!! its rather complicated but worth a google.
    Tags: None

Re: Bank account closed down

Why did they not deal with you with regards to financial hardship?
    The Lending Code section 9 means that they perhaps could have.

Do you live with your parents or own a house or rent? Did you get into arrears with that?

You need to open a basic account with a bank that is not connected to your current one.
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Re: Bank account closed down

Originally posted by Doorblocker View Post
      I lost my job last year and have been unable to get my overdraft back into the black, my banks charges have put me over my overdraft limit and now the bank have shut my account down and have passed the supposed debt to bailifs, i have told the bailif company to hand it back to the bank to save their time and mine as i am not willing to deal with them.
      First of all, what do you mean about the alleged debt being 'passed to bailiffs'?

Has somebody called at your house and demanded money?

Has the bank taken you to court?

However i would like to know how i stand with the bank as i now have no bank account and should i get a new job i have no way of paying in any pay cheques.
      Most bank would say that you shouldn't stand with them, but grovel.

Are overdrafts classed the same as a bank loan?
      No, as much of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 did not apply to overdrafts - but the law has now been changed - link

I have also been looking at a site called Freeman on the land, they claim that you do not have to pay any loan from a bank back as YOU the borrower made the money!! its rather complicated but worth a google.
      It isn't, as it is silly nonsense that seems designed to generate work for the legal profession.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X