• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Best way to solve this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to solve this

Hi,

A few days ago my parents had a serious car accident - they are both 82. They have one joint account, but my mother is housebound and needs help moving around at all and my dad is in hospital with a broken lumbar bone on his spine.

Obviously they can't get to the bank to get money and need someone of trust to be able to get money for them. They have never used hole in the walls machines and don't know where their PIN is, so I'm looking for a solution for them.

So far the best I have come up with is to set up an Enduring Power of Attorney - is this the best way to go?
    Tags: None

Re: Best way to solve this

Have they actually got a cashpoint card? If so, they could request a new PIN number, which only takes a few days to arrive. Then you would be able to use the card and the new number to get money out for them.

Or just go into the branch they usually use and ask the staff for advice?
    Is no longer here

Comment

Yes, they definitely have a cheque guarantee card which I assume doubles up with Nat West. thanks for the advice - an awful lot easier than the POA route.

Comment

I'm not sure, but as you can change PIN numbers in the hole in the wall machines, there may also be an option to request a new one from there, too.
        Is no longer here

Comment

Thanks Wendy - you're a gem. I'll be getting there on Friday and will be there for the foreseeable future, so will sort that when I get there.

May well not be on LB for a while as mobile broadband is terrible in Anglesey.

Thank you again for your advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
            Thanks Wendy - you're a gem. I'll be getting there on Friday and will be there for the foreseeable future, so will sort that when I get there.

May well not be on LB for a while as mobile broadband is terrible in Anglesey.

Thank you again for your advice!
            The cheque guarantee card should be a visa debit card. You cannot order a pin number at the cash machine(and if you don't remember/don't have the number then that is just asking the ATM to swallow the card).

As it's Friday the branches are shut but if the local one is open on Saturday then ring them directly(on those stupid 0845 numbers) and get them to order a pin reminder which as WendyB has said does not take that long to arrive. If you can get online(not sure then sign them up online and YOU keep the online details so that you can deal with their affairs).
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

if they are capable of running their affairs then an ordinary power of attorney would do or simply send leters to people authorising you to act ontheir behalf a
              nd discuss the account .

Comment

Thank you all for your help.

To stop others wasting their time I'm leaving very shortly, so no need for any more replies, but a genuine thanks to those who have helped.

Caspar

Comment

Casper,

How long will you be staying at anglesey for, just wandering if you will catch the married couple on there return to normal life?

Have a nice time.

Regards
                  If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Have a pint in the California for me Caspar--and regards to all in LLigwy & Moelfre-lol

Hope parents ok

Turbs

Comment

Parents live in Moelfre! I used to be a barman at the California for a holiday job, and spent many hours cloud bathing on Lligwy Beach. Sometimes stay there with the motorhome, but not this time as no phone reception there.

May well be there for the happy couple returning. No doubt they'll pop in for a cuppa when they do.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
                        Parents live in Moelfre! I used to be a barman at the California for a holiday job, and spent many hours cloud bathing on Lligwy Beach. Sometimes stay there with the motorhome, but not this time as no phone reception there.

May well be there for the happy couple returning. No doubt they'll pop in for a cuppa when they do.

remember-we hijacked Di30's thread Caspar-post 10 +

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ad.php?t=25235

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X