• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Insurance Blacklisted for cover I never asked for, never took up & never even wanted!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance Blacklisted for cover I never asked for, never took up & never even wanted!

Can Anyone Please Help????
    I attended what I took to be an informal interview with the Halifax in October, at a review of our bank accounts & from which I got a "Protection Analysis report" via Scottish Widows.
    I fully & truthfully answered innocent answers to questions put to me at an informal branch interview when faced with a dummy scenario of setting up a savings plan (the cheapest offered - which, with my husband just back in work after 12 months, I had already explained I would need his approval as I doubted we would be able to afford), and which also included Life & Critical Illness cover.
    It was refused on the spot whilst undertaking this dummy scenario, so I thought no more of it, (presumably because, as the only questions asked of me at the interview of my height & weight, which pointed to any refusal at that time, concluded that I was overweight - a clear observation).
    Following 1st interview - I had no medical, and to my knowledge, no doctors report has been requested.
    Despite this I was invited for a 2nd interview in Nov to suggest progressing this through further - even though the critical illness cover had already been point blank refused! - presumably in another direction - and even though we couldn’t afford it & didn’t take it up anyway!
    However - over 3 months later I now get a 2 line letter formally announcing I am formally turned down for cover - so having now apparently been formally declined Life & Critical illness cover I understand I am now at risk of:
    Finding it difficult to obtain competitively priced life cover, even though problems I was turned down for may eventually be in the past - ie: I may lose weight!.
    I understand it can result in a bad credit rating and problems borrowing money in the future.
    My name be on the "impaired lives register", by the insurance industry - this record in itself becomes something that I need to consider when applying to other insurance companies or brokers.
    I am now wary of approaching other insurers for Travel quotes etc as I already have major problems obtaining cover, as I also suffer from a pre-existing medical condition,(epilepsy) which already increases my premiums etc. - I was amazed I was not even asked questions of that!
    I expected an apology, and a withdrawal of the data from their records, as it was not supplied for a specific purpose or application.
    To date I have had a call offering £200 compensation in full & final settlement, but they are not prepared to remove my name from their "declined" cases.
    Now I am expected to declare on any application I ever make in the future, that I have been "declined at point of sale" , Insurance cover I never asked for, never took up, & never even wanted!
    Any suggestions please??
    The case progresses next Weds am
    Tags: None

Re: Insurance Blacklisted for cover I never asked for, never took up & never even wan

Originally posted by sng165 View Post
    Can Anyone Please Help????
    I attended what I took to be an informal interview with the Halifax in October, at a review of our bank accounts & from which I got a "Protection Analysis report" via Scottish Widows.
    I fully & truthfully answered innocent answers to questions put to me at an informal branch interview when faced with a dummy scenario of setting up a savings plan (the cheapest offered - which, with my husband just back in work after 12 months, I had already explained I would need his approval as I doubted we would be able to afford), and which also included Life & Critical Illness cover.
    Was this with an advisor in the branch? Did they go through all your finances, ie financial review?
    It was refused on the spot whilst undertaking this dummy scenario, so I thought no more of it, (presumably because, as the only questions asked of me at the interview of my height & weight, which pointed to any refusal at that time, concluded that I was overweight - a clear observation).
    Following 1st interview - I had no medical, and to my knowledge, no doctors report has been requested.
    Despite this I was invited for a 2nd interview in Nov to suggest progressing this through further - even though the critical illness cover had already been point blank refused! - presumably in another direction - and even though we couldn’t afford it & didn’t take it up anyway!

However - over 3 months later I now get a 2 line letter formally announcing I am formally turned down for cover - so having now apparently been formally declined Life & Critical illness cover

I understand I am now at risk of:
    Finding it difficult to obtain competitively priced life cover, even though problems I was turned down for may eventually be in the past - ie: I may lose weight!.
    I understand it can result in a bad credit rating and problems borrowing money in the future.
    That's not correct.
    My name be on the "impaired lives register", by the insurance
    industry - this record in itself becomes something that I need to consider when applying to other insurance companies or brokers.
    I am now wary of approaching other insurers for Travel quotes etc as I already have major problems obtaining cover, as I also suffer from a pre-existing medical condition,(epilepsy) which already increases my premiums etc. - I was amazed I was not even asked questions of that!
    Refused Life Insurance - Your rights
    You have the right under the Data Protection Act to see what has been recorded against you or is under your name.
    I expected an apology, and a withdrawal of the data from their records, as it was not supplied for a specific purpose or application.
    To date I have had a call offering £200 compensation in full & final settlement, but they are not prepared to remove my name from their "declined" cases.
    What have they offered compensation for? Is it the advice? Lack of advice? If they declined you did they request any report from your doctor? Was the cover for you solely or for him? Was the eligibility criteria that they had one you would never have qualified for?

Now I am expected to declare on any application I ever make in the future, that I have been "declined at point of sale" , Insurance cover I never asked for, never took up, & never even wanted!
    Any suggestions please??
    The case progresses next Weds am

What do you mean it progresses again on Wednesday? another branch meeting?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Re: Insurance Blacklisted for cover I never asked for, never took up & never even wan

No - I get another call from their customer service - an update - I refused the £200 "full & Final" as we couldnt agree, because they wouldnt agree to cancel my name from their records - she is calling me back for an update/further suggestions. I have to apply for travel insurance very soon & i expect this will impact on that !

Comment

No - I get another call from their customer service - an update - I refused the £200 "full & Final" as we couldnt agree, because they wouldnt agree to cancel my name from their records - she is calling me back for an update/further suggestions. I have to apply for travel insurance very soon & i expect this will impact on that !
        Did they require a medical assessment?
        Was the doctor yours or theirs?

Comment

It was a sales pitch - I signed nothing - I did say "no thank you", I simply came away with a presentation, I gave no GP details so nobody was able to approach my doctor, and I got an immediate print off stating "unfortunately we are not able to provide you with any protection at this time following a medical underwriting with Scottish Widows" based solely on the info. I had given the salesman - ie; height & weight.
          I simply attended what I expected to be a review of my bank accounts.
          I reiterate: I have been "declined at point of sale" , Insurance cover I never asked for, never took up, & never even wanted!

Comment

It was a sales pitch - I signed nothing - I did say "no thank you", I simply came away with a presentation, I gave no GP details so nobody was able to approach my doctor, and I got an immediate print off stating "unfortunately we are not able to provide you with any protection at this time following a medical underwriting with Scottish Widows" based solely on the info. I had given the salesman - ie; height & weight.
            I simply attended what I expected to be a review of my bank accounts.
            I reiterate: I have been "declined at point of sale" , Insurance cover I never asked for, never took up, & never even wanted!
            In that case, stick to your guns based on this review and the fact that you did not request it.
            I would add that if your name is on the impaired persons list, you have the right to see that information under the Data Protection Act.

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
              What do you mean it progresses again on Wednesday? another branch meeting?
              Thanks for the points
              • It was a simple annual financial review that ended up as a sales pitch
              • thanks - I'm aware of data protection - thats why I feel it needs removing from my records - its a "blot on my landscape" - (I already have enough problems with my epilepsy, without this - and anyway I have had basic life insurance running for years - and since I'm not taking Critical Illness Cover I dont need this on my records)
              • the compensation was said to be for "my inconvenience".

Comment

Thanks for the points
                • It was a simple annual financial review that ended up as a sales pitch
                • thanks - I'm aware of data protection - thats why I feel it needs removing from my records - its a "blot on my landscape" - (I already have enough problems with my epilepsy, without this - and anyway I have had basic life insurance running for years - and since I'm not taking Critical Illness Cover I dont need this on my records)
                • the compensation was said to be for "my inconvenience".
                Can you clarify with them whether the "impaired lives register" is merely an industry wide list or a company specific list?(have you got a response in writing at all?)

Is it possible to post up ie scan onto the forum the details of their response to your complaint so we can see what they appear to be answering?
                I would not accept any verbal responses from them since you are already complaining about their version and your version of the interview.

Comment

sorry I dont know how to scan - I am new to this : so here goes:

the initial scottish widows letter (which stirred up all this) - received almost 4 months after the interview! - says - in full:
                  "thank you for applying for protection for life with scottish widows. after looking at your application we wont be able to offer you the cover you wanted. We're sorry we couldnt help on this occasion." END!

The reply to my complaint says:
                  Further to my telephone conversation on ** Jan 2011. I am sorry this situation has occurred, and I appreciate you taking the time to bring this to my attention. we discussed the recent letter you received from scottish Widows and I will be looking into your concerns. Please find a copy of our complaints leaflet which gives details of our commitment to resolve your complaint quickly and simply. your complaint will be dealt with as quickly as possible, but if you need to speak to me in the meantime please do not hesitate to telephone me. END.

So you can see I am always encouraged to deal by phone - they put no detail into their letters (unlike me), and they enclose a single sheet obmbudsman leaflet. Well I'd rather get it resolved informally, but if needs be I will take it higher - but am I being petty? I dont think so?

Comment

sorry I dont know how to scan - I am new to this : so here goes:

the initial scottish widows letter (which stirred up all this) - received almost 4 months after the interview! - says - in full:
                    "thank you for applying for protection for life with scottish widows. after looking at your application we wont be able to offer you the cover you wanted. We're sorry we couldnt help on this occasion." END!

Further to my telephone conversation on ** Jan 2011. I am sorry this situation has occurred, and I appreciate you taking the time to bring this to my attention. we discussed the recent letter you received from scottish Widows and I will be looking into your concerns. Please find a copy of our complaints leaflet which gives details of our commitment to resolve your complaint quickly and simply. your complaint will be dealt with as quickly as possible, but if you need to speak to me in the meantime please do not hesitate to telephone me. END.

So you can see I am always encouraged to deal by phone - they put no detail into their letters (unlike me), and they enclose a single sheet obmbudsman leaflet. Well I'd rather get it resolved informally, but if needs be I will take it higher - but am I being petty? I dont think so?
                    Their first letter is acknowledgment of the complaint. When was it dated?

Comment

sorry I dont know how to scan - I am new to this :
                      the scottish widows letter says - in full:
                      Further to my telephone conversation on 28th Jan 2011. I am sorry this situation has occurred, and I appreciate you taking the time to bring this to my attention. we discussed the recent letter you received from scottish Widows and I will be looking into your concerens. Please find a copy of our complaints leaflet which gives details of our commitment to resolve your complaint quickly and simply. your complaint will be dealt with as quickly as possible, but if you need to speak to me in the meantime please do not hesitate to telephone me. END.
                      So you can see I am always encouraged to deal by phone - they put no detail into thier letters (unlike me)
                      Last edited by sng165; 7th February 2011, 13:03:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

sorry I dont know how to scan - I am new to this :
                        the scottish widows letter says - in full:
                        Further to my telephone conversation on 28th Jan 2011. I am sorry this situation has occurred, and I appreciate you taking the time to bring this to my attention. we discussed the recent letter you received from scottish Widows and I will be looking into your concerens. Please find a copy of our complaints leaflet which gives details of our commitment to resolve your complaint quickly and simply. your complaint will be dealt with as quickly as possible, but if you need to speak to me in the meantime please do not hesitate to telephone me. END.
                        So you can see I am always encouraged to deal by phone - they put no detail into thier letters (unlike me)
                        I'll repeat the question:
                        What DATE was THE BANK'S original Letter?

Comment

The 2 line (1st) letter was dated Jan 2011 - ie: 3-4 months after the interviews

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X