• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Natwest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natwest

Dear all,

Any advise would be good, i Have recently informed Natwest that due to lack of employment, my self and my husband are having a few financial difficulties, and are claiming bank charges, I have had a letter of them giving telling us that due to lack of comunication that they were giving us 60 days to rediect our debits, and that they were going to close the account, we have had for the last 20 years!
    Any help greatly appreciated
    moon-shadow

Re: Natwest

Why are they closing the account? Was the letter from Glasgow/Edinburgh?
    Account closing team per chance?
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I have an overdraft facility with them, and i am using it at the moment, if i were to get my bank charges back this would wipe out the overdraft and put my account in credit, the letter they have sent me is from manchester collections, and have enclosed with the letter
      Notice served under sections 76(1) and 98(1) of the C C A 1974, this states the overdraft will be terminated on 7/08/2010
      Any advice greatly received
      thanks in advance
      moon-shadow
      Last edited by moon-shadow; 27th July 2010, 17:53:PM. Reason: mis type

Comment

Moon shadow can you scan the letters excluding your details onto the this thread with regards to your specific account closure one.
        Is the account still being used actively?

Comment

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
          Moon shadow can you scan the letters excluding your details onto the this thread with regards to your specific account closure one.
          Thanks again, yes the account is still active at the moment
          The letter goes like this:-

IMPORTANT YOU SHOULD READ THIS CAREFULLY

Overdraft on account number XXXXXXXXXXX
          Your overdraft is repayable on demand being made by the bank: and such demand wiill terminate the overdraft arrangement. The bank intends to demand payment of the total amount outstanding as set out below (if necessary by court action) and accordingly terminate the overdraft arrangement on 7/8/2010
          unless by that date you have made alternative arrangement for repayment which is acceptable to the bank.
          Interest will continue to be applied to the account and the total amount outstanding wil increase accordingly if payment is not shown by the date above.

IF YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY IN PAYING ANY SUM OWING UNDER THE AGREEMENT YOU CAN APPLY TO THE COURT WHICH MAY MAKE AN ORDER ALLOWING YOU OR ANY SURETY MORE TIME

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT TO DO, YOU SHOULD GET HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, FOR EXAMPLE YOU SHOULD CONTACT A SOLICITOR YOUR LOCAL TRADING STANDARDS DEPT OR YOUR CAB

thats how it went
          any ideas ?
          Thanks in advance
          moon-shadow
          P.S the business account is classed as a micro enterprise, so i can claim charges on this account as well
          Last edited by moon-shadow; 27th July 2010, 22:14:PM. Reason: missing iinfo

Comment

I think it should be pointed out here that bank charge claims are all but impossible these days, not wishing to throw a damper on things but don't want you to think you can just claim back the charges and it will all go swimmingly because it most probably won't and the chances are your claim will drag on forever and the chances of success are low to nil. Have a read around the forum to get an idea of what's happening with charges claims and then decide if its worht you making one. Might be best if you could arrange some sort of repayment plan in the meantime and then look at whether a charges claim is in order. Do you have another bank account you could use instead, i.e a parachute account?
            Is no longer here

Comment

Is the account you are using the one that you pay priority debts from?
              As WendyB has said, and is supported by other things, the bank do not have to repay anything even if you are in financial hardship.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
                I think it should be pointed out here that bank charge claims are all but impossible these days, not wishing to throw a damper on things but don't want you to think you can just claim back the charges and it will all go swimmingly because it most probably won't and the chances are your claim will drag on forever and the chances of success are low to nil. Have a read around the forum to get an idea of what's happening with charges claims and then decide if its worht you making one. Might be best if you could arrange some sort of repayment plan in the meantime and then look at whether a charges claim is in order. Do you have another bank account you could use instead, i.e a parachute account?
                Thanks again,
                it goes like this:-
                IMPORTANT YOU SHOULD READ THIS CAREFULLY

Overdraft on account number XXXXXXXXXXX
                Your overdraft is repayable on demand being made by the bank: and such demand wiill terminate the overdraft arrangement. The bank intends to demand payment of the total amount outstanding as set out below (if necessary by court action) and accordingly terminate the overdraft arrangement on 7/8/2010
                unless by that date you have made alternative arrangement for repayment which is acceptable to the bank.
                Interest will continue to be applied to the account and the total amount outstanding wil increase accordingly if payment is not shown by the date above.

IF YOU HAVE DIFFICULTY IN PAYING ANY SUM OWING UNDER THE AGREEMENT YOU CAN APPLY TO THE COURT WHICH MAY MAKE AN ORDER ALLOWING YOU OR ANY SURETY MORE TIME

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHAT TO DO, YOU SHOULD GET HELP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, FOR EXAMPLE YOU SHOULD CONTACT A SOLICITOR YOUR LOCAL TRADING STANDARDS DEPT OR YOUR CAB

thats how it went
                any ideas ?

hi WendyB
                Thankyou for your help, I have applied for an account, still waiting to hear though, but if there is any problems I'll post up, meanwhile I will send another letter to the hardship claims dept, and if no joy will inform them that I will give it to the FOS to have alook at, I don't mind a challenge, and I am very open to ideas,
                thanks again
                moon-shadow

Comment

Is the account you are using the one that you pay priority debts from?
                  As WendyB has said, and is supported by other things, the bank do not have to repay anything even if you are in financial hardship.
                  Doesn't necessarily answer the question but I'll ask in bold.
                  If yes, have you contacted your creditors with regards to any help that they can give?
                  What did you write to the bank and did you send an income and expenditure form?

Comment

Doesn't necessarily answer the question but I'll ask in bold.
                    If yes, have you contacted your creditors with regards to any help that they can give?
                    What did you write to the bank and did you send an income and expenditure form?

sorry Leclerc, had a vacant moment there, yep I do get them, yes i do pay priority debts from this account, mortagage, gas elec, phone, and so on, iI had sent an I&E to them, so I will send it again, with another letter, one with stronger attitude, see how that goes, I will give them a date to respond though, I would tell you that as we are on low income at the moment and have had to apply for certain benefits, something i really feel bad about, but have had no choice in the matter, so I have thrown it all in the letter that I sent with the I&E
                    here it is minus details - sorry its goes on a bit

Please find enclosed statement of income and expenditure, under the lending code, section 9, set by the FOS, to reclaim bank charges, under my claim of financial hardship on the above accounts.
                    As you are aware, I am at present finding it increasingly difficult to pay for basic items, after bills are paid, I have applied for help with gas and electric, and now receive Council Tax Benefit, as our combined income is classed as low, and only covers essential living. Mr XXXXX has had no self employed work since January 2010, and we have previously informed you Batwest, of our current situation, he still quotes for any enquiries that he receives, with leads that have tendered for later in the year; unfortunately this at present is not of any financial help.
                    To make matters worse I have seen charges eat benefit that I have received, and reclaiming the charges that have been applied to both accounts would clear most of the balance, and also rid the account of recurring charges, applied each month, firstly on xxxxxx.
                    As closing both accounts would leave us in more hardship, reclaiming bank charges, and interest that it would have gained, would be a substantial amount towards clearing firstly the overdraft on xxxxxxxx, and remaining balance towards account xxxxxx, see enclosed bank charges sheet
                    Should Batwest not take these events into account, Iwill have no option but further this matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service

The one I wrote today goes like this:-

I would like to draw your attention to your letter dated 17 July 2010 (see enclosed copies), you Batwest have previously been informed, via telephone and letter, that the above accounts are suffering with financial hardship, and are reclaiming bank charges under this, as set out by the FOS.
                    To avoid confusion, Account no xxxxxxxx is a ADGD Account, and xxxxxxxx is a micro business account.
                    As both accounts have suffered one or more of the listed below, I would remind you that as Batwest customers, you have a duty to understand customer’s difficulties under the Lending Code section 9, as set out below.
                    I Have again, enclosed copies of I&E, and bank charges to date, and any copies that were sent to you.
                    As you have failed to monitor accounts, and had little contact with us, or acknowledge our difficulties, I am now forwarding my complaint to the FOS.

any thing i should amend perhaps,

Thanks again
                    moon-shadow

Comment

Get rid of the Advantage gold part of the account cos you clearly cannot afford the payments for it. @12.95 it is clearly not fit for purpose.
                      I don't get why NatWest DO NOT remove the advantage gold part of the account earlier cos it is £12.95 that clearly you are disadvantaged by.

Comment

Thanks Leclerc, I will note that point as well,
                        will keep you posted
                        thanks again
                        moon-shadow

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X