• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

NatWest ignored request for past fees...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NatWest ignored request for past fees...?

Hello all, I originally posted about this on moneysavingexpert but have also been referred here as apparently you guys know what you're talking about, too! So here goes...

I am trying to reclaim bank charges from NatWest. I have been overdrawn on my account for some time as I simply haven't had the money to pay off the account and survive. I had been managing to keep the account within the overdraft limit, but at some point last year the account finally exceeded the limited and I was charged two hefty sums as a penalty. Since then the account has been snowballing. I'm now nearing £750 in debt!

NatWest recently asked me to complete an expenditure form to prove my financial hardship. Having done this, it has apparently been ignored. I have been issued a default notice. To further add to my frustration, they continue to send all correspondence to me at my mother's address, an address I haven't lived at for over a year - something I have informed NatWest of!

In regards to reclaiming bank fees, I requested a list of all fees ever charged on this account on February 2nd and included a £10 cheque to cover any costs. According to the reclaiming guide I have been following, the banks have 40 days to respond to this. I make that March 14th. I've heard nothing. I was silly enough to not send either the letter or the expenditure form recorded delivery, however I don't for a second believe they haven't received at least one of these documents!

I was wondering if anyone could just give me some advice on what to do...my account continues to snowball and now I find myself pregnant and signed off of work due to hyperemesis gravidarum. I get £50/week! I'm finding it all very stressful and only want to claim the charges back to I can pay the account off. Help!

Re: NatWest ignored request for past fees...?

As I remember from your thread there, the letter was not sent recorded delivery for the SAR.
    Where did you send the letter?

Comment

Originally posted by moosticks View Post
      In regards to reclaiming bank fees, I requested a list of all fees ever charged on this account on February 2nd and included a £10 cheque to cover any costs. According to the reclaiming guide I have been following, the banks have 40 days to respond to this. I make that March 14th. I've heard nothing. I was silly enough to not send either the letter or the expenditure form recorded delivery, however I don't for a second believe they haven't received at least one of these documents!
      The request does not need to be sent recorded delivery, but some proof of posting would be useful. Did you get a free certificate of posting?

How did you pay the fee? If by cheque, has your cheque been cashed?

If you sent a postal order and you do not have proof of posting, I'm afraid you will need to resend the letter.

Comment

I posted it using a letterbox. I'm really sick at the moment and have been since January, was going for ease. :/ I enclosed a cheque, which hasn't been cashed.

Originally posted by natweststaffmember View Post
        As I remember from your thread there, the letter was not sent recorded delivery for the SAR.
        Where did you send the letter?
        I sent the letter tothe recommended one I found on moneysavingexpert forums...

Retail Regulatory Risk
        2nd Floor
        Cornerstone
        60 South Gyle Crescent
        Edinburgh
        EH12 9WF
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Oh, and the expenditure form went to the address they instructed me to send it to when the originally sent me the form. I don't have the document to hand right now, though.
        Last edited by moosticks; 16th March 2010, 21:37:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Oh I see you found the site, well Nattie and others here will provide some valuable info, I couldn't of done it without their help!!
          Hi Nattie don't know if you remember me.
          Thriftkitten....
          Found roaming around in the dark, worried and stressed, guided to success with helpful hands by LB VIP members.

Comment

Yes, I found it on your recommendation. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Thriftkitten View Post
              Oh I see you found the site, well Nattie and others here will provide some valuable info, I couldn't of done it without their help!!
              Hi Nattie don't know if you remember me.
              No idea who you are whatsoever
              Originally posted by moosticks View Post
              I posted it using a letterbox. I'm really sick at the moment and have been since January, was going for ease. :/ I enclosed a cheque, which hasn't been cashed.

I sent the letter tothe recommended one I found on moneysavingexpert forums...

Retail Regulatory Risk
              2nd Floor
              Cornerstone
              60 South Gyle Crescent
              Edinburgh
              EH12 9WF
              Oh, and the expenditure form went to the address they instructed me to send it to when the originally sent me the form. I don't have the document to hand right now, though.

Send them another letter stating you have given them x days and they have failed to respond.

Data Protection Manager
              Regulatory Risk
              2nd Floor
              Business House B
              Goggarburn
              PO Box 1000
              Edinburgh
              EH12 1HQ

However, do you have internet banking? You can view statement information online if you do.
              Last edited by natweststaffmember; 17th March 2010, 13:41:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

No internet banking...I don't think it even existed back when I used to use this account! I will try another letter and a phone call regarding the default notice. Just need a day where I can sit in a phone queue and not be going to doctor and hospital appointments now!

Thanks everyone, I will keep you updated.

Comment

If it helps, when i asked for all history of statements with natwest myself, they actioned this over the counter taking 2x £5 charges from one account (i have 2 ) and went back for 7 years. One of the accounts had also been closed over a year at the time. I had my statments posted within 3 weeks.

Has the cheque been cashed?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X