• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank transfer not received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank transfer not received

Hi guys
    Can anyone help me on this? My daughter made a bank transfer of £100 ten days ago but the person she made this to has said they didn't receive it. She has cross referenced the bank details she was given to the details she input (online banking) and they match. After several emails to this other person verifying this, she has received no communication. She rang her bank and they told her that they can't do very much, that she needs to get in touch with the person she made the bank transfer to. Any advice? Surely there's something she can do, 'cause if that was the case lots of people would be doing it!
    In order for evil to triumph it is necessary only that good men do nothing.

Re: Bank transfer not received

Can I ask how well she knows this person and whether this was a payment for goods?

Her bank can put a trace on the payment to confirm that it was received into the correct account.

Comment

Hiya Nattie!
      Thanks for quick response.
      The payment was for a deposit on a self catering studio in Lanzarote (it's for her honeymoon in August). She got her details through holiday lettings website. So, no she doesn't know the other person.
      G x

Comment

Was it a UK transfer or an overseas transfer?

Furthermore, was it a Coutts bank account by any chance?

Comment

No I think it was a UK bank, but not totally sure. I'll ask daugher. Out of curiosity, what happens if it's an overseas or Coutts bank?

Comment

Overseas bank can mean I know what the issue is and if it is Coutts then they have the money. If it is a building society then she has made an error potentially which means the BS has it on a rejected payments account.

Comment

If the bank can't trace the money to the designated account, then they are bound to refund the full amount.Without question.
              What would be good is if you get the paperwork,Transfer slip etc

Comment

Originally posted by stivis View Post
                If the bank can't trace the money to the designated account, then they are bound to refund the full amount.Without question.
                What would be good is if you get the paperwork,Transfer slip etc
                Why?

Comment

It is part of their duty , money deposited is placed into the hands of the bank for them to use as they see fit (Lend Speculate etc) ....you the depositor retain title to the money, that it is available to you on demand,

Now whither you withdraw it or transfer, in the like of DD or SO the bank must follow your instructions.....in other words they are your paying agents and have been instructed to if you like "do your bidding" when the transaction is complete then their obligation has been fulfilled

The duties are clearly set out in Ellinger & Lomnicka.....Modern Banking Law

I did say without question,really that's wrong to an extent.....they'll palm you off with some excuse in order that they don't pay out

Comment

Thanks guys. Another email to the lady saying that it was being investigated and a chance that fraud team might get involved resulted in a reply saying that she had another look and she thinks she might have received the transfer. Now if that doesn't instill confidence! Problem is daugher is understandably hesitant about transferring any more money to her but £100 is a lot to lose if she cancels.

Comment

But losing £200 if she transfers another amount is worse....pity she didn't pay in cash into the other person's account because she would have had proof of payment. Threatening court action perhaps might be the next thing, perhaps to help the other person revisit their own account

Comment

I'd seriously get your daughter to book somewhere else for her honeymoon. Too important to find shes been scammed when she gets to where shes meant to be staying. £100 is a lot to lose yes, but having no honeymoon would be much worse.

Wheres she thinking of going ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hiya Ame!

She's going to Lanzarote for a week in August. She thought that by going through a proper holiday lettings website that she'd be safe! Yes, £100 is a lot to lose for her but I'll try and talk her round going somewhere else. xx

Comment

Please have a read of the info on here

http://blog.schofields.ltd.uk/416/ho...liday-rentals/

Comment

Why don't you pay with something that has chargeback ability?
                              Such as Visa card or Paypal

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X