• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

FM v Halifax (and going to court over SAR non-compliance + costs)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FM v Halifax (and going to court over SAR non-compliance + costs)

Brief summary.

SAR made 22nd June 2009 (to reclaim bank, mortgage plus credit card penalties). SAR fee banked in a matter of days and token letter of acknowledgement received.

Waited 40+ days for the data to arrive, but nothing showed up.

Delivered second letter/LBA to my local branch on 10th August giving 7 more days to provide the info requested. It was faxed across immediately and I got a phone call that same afternoon, asking if I'd received their letter (which said nothing anyway).

Still no data.

Lodged a complaint with the ICO on 18th August and received their token letter, which made the complaint seem pointless.

I'd explained in both letters to Halifax that l'd like to make a Hardship claim and would like an Income and Expenditure form be included with the data. I never got one.

Still no data.

N1 delivered to county court on 17th September, inc. breakdown of costs/damages totalling about £150.

Received letter acknowledging my court order, admitting that they hadn't complied with SAR. They claim to have refunded the £10 SAR fee and say they'll refund £30 court fee as well if I withdraw claim.

I wrote back to say that I won't (and never received the £10), but I will drop the case if they pay my damages in full.

Data finally arrives on 2nd October. No I&E form.

Then another letter and two phonecalls come suggesting that I drop the case now that they've complied. They say they've refunded the £10 and £30 fees and go on about Part 27.14 of the Civil Procedure Rules and how costs and expenses are not recoverable and how I'll have to pay their costs.

I tell Halifax to back off with the intimidation or else I'll report them to the OFT.

They also said that my costs are unreasonable, so I pointed out that making me wait so long to comply and not sending an I&E form is unreasonable. I reduce my costs anyway (to £110) to hopefully make me look more reasonable and give the court a copy as well as Halifax.

(I've now worked out all my charges/fees/penalties and they'll get those tomorrow.)

Defence arrives on 21st October. They're challenging everything, say they've refunded the two fees (they haven't) and that I never told them what wasn't disclosed.

Yesterday the Allocation Questionnaire (Small Claims Track) arrived with an offer of a free mediation service.

What would you do? Any advice gratefully received, as I'm really nervous about having to go to court and especially about having to pay their costs if I lose.

I know I've got all the info I wanted now (finally), but believe I'm still entitled to request the costs I incurred in trying to make them comply. One letter and cheque for £10 should be all that it takes after all.

Thanks,
    FM

Re: FM v Halifax (and going to court over SAR non-compliance + costs)

Quick update.

I received a cheque for £10 today (for not providing the info requested within 40 days).

I won't bank it, but should I send it back?

Best,
    FM

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X