• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

NatWest monthly bank charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NatWest monthly bank charges

Hi all,

I had £0.53 in one of my NatWest accounts (a standard current account), which I rarely use (hence the amount!), and purchased an audiobook off iTunes for £1.85, obviously without checking my balance. This was 2 February. Naturally, I got whacked with a £28.00 bank charge, on 31 March. It's entitled "27FEB A/C [my acc number]".

My balance then went down to -£29.42. On April 17, I placed £60 in that account, bringing the balance to £30.58. A few weeks passed, and I stayed in the black re: that account. However, come April 30, I got hit with another bank charge for £28.00, this time entitled "03APR A/C..."

I originally thought this was because in early April, I was overdrawn until I placed that £60 in my account. However, there doesn't seem to be a charge for March (i.e. a "CHG" entitled "##MAR A/C...", so this would suggest it isn't their standard monthly charge.

So I guess I have three questions:
    1. What is the reason for the second bank charge?
    2. Is the amount they've charged legitimate (I'm aware it's in the new Termsn & Conditions)?
    3. Can I claim anything back?

Any help would be brilliant.

Regards,
    Iain.

Re: NatWest monthly bank charges

The last date is the last date for the charging period. For this year we have
    31 Jan 09 – 27 Feb 09 31 March 2009(date debited)
    28 Feb 09 – 03 Apr 09 30 April 2009(date debited)
    04 Apr 09 – 01 May 09 29 May 2009 (date debited)

Expect to see one more since the amount paid in was middle of April.
    To clarify the charge is because you are in minus figures on the account without an overdraft.
    1) See above
    2) Legitimate is debatable but it can be argued that it is unfair under the UTCCR
    3) 100% yes.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. It's certainly cleared some things up!

In response to 3), what options do I have to claim the money back?

Thanks,
      Iain.

Comment

Originally posted by naylor182 View Post
        Thanks for your reply. It's certainly cleared some things up!

In response to 3), what options do I have to claim the money back?

Thanks,
        Iain.
        Apologies for the late reply
        CLAIMING AGAINST YOUR BANK, LOAN COMPANY, CREDIT CARD PROVIDER - Legal Beagles
        The link goes to the area for reclaiming bank charges.

Comment

For info- Natwest have just changed their charging periods, allegedly to bring in line with statment dates. This means that my charges are going out on 21st of the month- pretty crap really cos there's never any money in the account then. Could this be a ploy to take me over my limit again and hence charge me for being over my limit, yet again? Can i request that they change my charging periods so the charges come out at a more convenient time, ie when my wages have just gone in?
          Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
            For info- Natwest have just changed their charging periods, allegedly to bring in line with statment dates. This means that my charges are going out on 21st of the month- pretty crap really cos there's never any money in the account then. Could this be a ploy to take me over my limit again and hence charge me for being over my limit, yet again? Can i request that they change my charging periods so the charges come out at a more convenient time, ie when my wages have just gone in?
            Its linked to your statement date, wendy, get the date changed and hey presto, job done.

Comment

well apparently not, Nattie. have just got off the phone to a dimwit who told me that even if i change my statement date the charges will still come out on the 20th/21st of each month. When I asked him if this means that every Natwest A/G customer in the country will all have their charges debited on the 21st of each month he said yes! I find this very odd, and i know they have recently made changes, but seems odd that my classic account hasn't changed, but my A/G has. Have asked him to send me a copy of the new T&Cs regarding charges, dates etc. have printed the T&Cs from the website which clearly state dates at the end of each month. Seems they haven't even updated their own bloody website!

This calls for furhter investigation I think.........
              Is no longer here

Comment

well apparently not, Nattie. have just got off the phone to a dimwit who told me that even if i change my statement date the charges will still come out on the 20th/21st of each month. When I asked him if this means that every Natwest A/G customer in the country will all have their charges debited on the 21st of each month he said yes! I find this very odd, and i know they have recently made changes, but seems odd that my classic account hasn't changed, but my A/G has. Have asked him to send me a copy of the new T&Cs regarding charges, dates etc. have printed the T&Cs from the website which clearly state dates at the end of each month. Seems they haven't even updated their own bloody website!

This calls for furhter investigation I think.........
                I love call centres and I think you need link two from this list
                NatWest Terms and conditions

"From 4 April 2009, we will be aligning your charging period with the period covered by your monthly
                statement.
                Your charging period will now end on your statement date. Your statement date is the
                date we issue your statement to you, not the date you receive it. The dates on which we deduct any
                debit interest, Maintenance Charges and Advantage Banking subscription fees accrued on your
                account will also change from this date. These will be debited from your account 21 days after the
                charging period in which they accrued or were incurred (or on the next business day if this is a
                Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday).
                For the first month following the change you may be charged any debit interest, Maintenance
                Charge and Advantage Banking subscription fee (if payable by you) earlier or later in the month than
                usual. The amount you pay is not changing. We are simply changing the date we deduct any
                charges or debit interest payable by you.
                From 1 June 2009, we will be changing the dates on which we deduct any Paid Referral Fees,
                Guaranteed Card Payment Fees and Unpaid Item Fees from your account to align with your charging
                period. These will also be debited from your account 21 days after the charging period in which they
                were incurred (or on the next business day if this is Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday).
                If you would like to:
                find out when you will be charged any debit interest or charges; or
                change your statement date
                please contact your Relationship Manager or call into your local branch"

Good to see NatWest's standards remain the same, rubbish!

Comment

I nipped into my branch this afternoon, changed the statement date no problem. Sorted. I hope.
                  Is no longer here

Comment

OMFG!!!! How many times do you have to bang your head up against something before losing the will to live??? Just got home to find my pre-advice of charges, which includes a 28 quid charge for being over my limit last month, which was because of them changing my charging period and taking the charges when there was no money, hence sending me over my limit.
                    Well that's ok, you may think, cos Wends went into her branch on 8th May and changed the staement date to 8th of the month, and was assured that all charges in future would go out at end of month. WRONG!!!! My charges are set to go out on 21st June. Which means there won't be enough money in the account to cover them, but they'll take them anyway, so I'll be over my limit again which will then in turn lead to being charged again next month. GRRRRRRR!!
                    I have just got off the phone to the lending centre and am awaiting a call back. Lending centre and phonebanking confirmed that statement date is showing as 8th of the month. Just how much time do they need for it to take effect??

To say I am not impressed is an understatement
                    Is no longer here

Comment

What about July?

Comment

Who knows?

At the moment the only thing I can say with certainty is that it follows June. Am still waiting the call back from the bloke in the lending centre.
                        Is no longer here

Comment

Lending centre never called back, so i called again. To be told that because it was in the midst of a charging period when I changed my statment date, that won't take effect till that charging period ends, so tough, basically. i still get charged up till the end of May and the charges come out on the 21st June. so in effect the first time my charges will be at the end of the month is end of July!. So basically, althoguh I actioned it on 8th May, they can't do naff all about it. This was not what i was told in the branch. woman in lending centre was totally unhelpful, said branch had given my duff info so I have got to go to branch and see if they will do anything about refunding the charge for June. Yeah right like that's gonna happen. But nonetheless, I will go to the branch and see if they are prepared to do anything about it. Because I know it will be a miracle if i have 40.95 in my account on 21st June. Which means I'll cop for another 28 quid overlimit charge at the end of July.

Oh well, just have to look on it as a saving plan and hope the OFT come up with the goods soon.
                          Is no longer here

Comment

Lending centre never called back, so i called again. To be told that because it was in the midst of a charging period when I changed my statment date, that won't take effect till that charging period ends, so tough, basically. i still get charged up till the end of May and the charges come out on the 21st June. so in effect the first time my charges will be at the end of the month is end of July!. So basically, althoguh I actioned it on 8th May, they can't do naff all about it. This was not what i was told in the branch. woman in lending centre was totally unhelpful, said branch had given my duff info so I have got to go to branch and see if they will do anything about refunding the charge for June. Yeah right like that's gonna happen. But nonetheless, I will go to the branch and see if they are prepared to do anything about it. Because I know it will be a miracle if i have 40.95 in my account on 21st June. Which means I'll cop for another 28 quid overlimit charge at the end of July.

Oh well, just have to look on it as a saving plan and hope the OFT come up with the goods soon.
                            Hang on a second that is utter BS. The definition of a complaint is "any form of dissatisfaction whether justified or not". That means the lending centre need to take ownership of the complaint and not say you have to sort it out with the branch. FFS! talk about lack of ownership for a complaint.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X