• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Halifax bank charges claiming under financial hardship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax bank charges claiming under financial hardship

Hello, I started my battle with Halifax in early January 09, I decided to try under the Financial hardship rules but seem to have hit a brick wall. They owe me approx £2.8k, I've sent the usual letters and they asked me to fill in and return a Financial statement which I did and sent back by recorded delivery on the 17th February. I got a reply saying they were dealing with my complaint and would respond in due course - what should I do now given that it's 3 months since I first contacted them? Also I am currently trying to pay off a credit card and overdraft with them at the moment which is crippling me, I was hoping this would have been sorted by now and therefore alleviate alot of the problems Im now suffering. At what stage do I complain to the Financial Ombudsman? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Halifax bank charges claiming under financial hardship

Hi Horsemad,
    Well the FOS won't deal with this until you have had a final response from Halifax, that you have not received yet.
    I think the only thing at present and seems to work for some, is to pester them into giving you some update on the matter.
    I will see if I can find some contact details for you, unless you have some on your correspondence from them?

Comment

Originally posted by Horsemad View Post
      Hello, I started my battle with Halifax in early January 09, I decided to try under the Financial hardship rules but seem to have hit a brick wall. They owe me approx £2.8k, I've sent the usual letters and they asked me to fill in and return a Financial statement which I did and sent back by recorded delivery on the 17th February. I got a reply saying they were dealing with my complaint and would respond in due course - what should I do now given that it's 3 months since I first contacted them? Also I am currently trying to pay off a credit card and overdraft with them at the moment which is crippling me, I was hoping this would have been sorted by now and therefore alleviate alot of the problems Im now suffering. At what stage do I complain to the Financial Ombudsman? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      On that first letter back saying they were looking into it, did it have a phone number for them? Personally, I would call it and give em a kick up the backside on this one cos for a hardship case, it just is simply not good enough.

Comment

Hi thank you both for your reply. It do's have a telephone number on so will call them.

Is there a rule which says they have to reply withinn a certain amount of time? Am wondering if they are holding out on me as currently battling them over their credit card. What is the best thing to say, Im all for ringing and kicking a*se but is there some FOS rules that I can quote so I can make them see they are flouting it?

Comment

Hi, thought I'd update you. I had a reply from Halifax Customer Relations basically they are willing to offer me £854 of the £2819 claimed but want me to sign an acceptance form.... Any ideas on how I should repy? Obviously £854 is great but the £2819 would be even better...........

Comment

Well thats a bit crappy IMO, only 30%. Can you negotiate with them to up the offer? Have you got any more pressing bills etc you can give them to try and up it a bit? Not sure how Halifax usually operate though, tbh.
            Is no longer here

Comment

I know I thought the same, I listed all of my most pressing utility bills, do you think I should fax them copies of my recent reminders to pay?

Comment

Have you got any mortgage/rent or council tax arrears? You could try ringing them I suppose, ask them what they have based their offer on and if they are prepared to increase it. Tell them you hvae priority debts totalling xxx which is more than they are offering etc.....might be worth a try.

What does anyone else think?
                Is no longer here

Comment

I agree with Wends as much info as possible in the way of evidences which will prove that you are under financial hardship, also can you advise:-

Have you fully explained to them why you are suffering Financial Hardship!

Are all the charges within the 6 years period from when you submitted your claim!

Are you certain that your total of £2819 charges is correct and does your figure include interest and at what rate!

As far as we can tell these interim payments from the banks are on account payments and do not take into account any interest, the balance + interest will be paid after the test case has been finally concluded.

All the best

Tuttsi x

Comment

Just an update from last post. I wrote to the Customer Relations Dept again asking them to reconsider their offer, I faxed them copies of all my most recent oustanding utility/council tax bills and you guessed it - they have completely ignored me. Should I try and put another letter to them plus more copy bills or should I now complain to the FOS??? Any Ideas?

Comment

My personal thought is you need to get a bit strong with them on this. They are taking the p1ss now. I would put together a strongly worded letter to their complaints department, post and email it if poossible, also send it to their Chief Exec (whoever he is). I haven't got any contact details for Halifax, never has any dealings with them so not sure of the uptodate ones. Anyone on here got recent useful contact info for Halifax?

If you want to draft a letter and put it on here before you send it that's fine.
                      Is no longer here

Comment

contact the c.c.c.s to see if they think you qualify under the hardship waiver.they will give good advice and draught a letter of support for your claim if they believe you do .after sending letter and proof of hardship to halifax the have 8 weeks to give a final response to your request and if they do not reply or dismiss it then contact financial ombusmen,who you can speak to beforehand,very helpful,no bank has yet contested their decision if it is against the banks

Comment

horsemad, can i ask you what the address you have dealt with in regards to the financial hardship case cos the Halifax contacts list is pretty bare with that info.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X