• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Reclaiming charges against Abbey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reclaiming charges against Abbey

Hello All,

Am querying on behalf of my husband who has banked with Abbey for about 15 years. Certainly for the time that we've been together (6 years) they've charged him on average about £150 per month, the usual of they take their charge money and not leaving enough for DD's even if they're only a couple of quid.

Anyhow, he now has a new bank a/c with A&L, and for the last month we've just left his Abbey a/c stagnating (all DD's have been moved) with an (almost up to the hilt) overdraft of £1400. They have written to him saying that if money isn't paid in etc.etc. It's only now that I've persuaded him to make a charges reclaim and what I'd like to know is, if we do, will that effectively freeze that a/c? Frankly, I'm of the opinion that the amount owed to him more than cancels out his overdraft, however, we don't want to find ourselves in hot water.

What's the best way forward?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Reclaiming charges against Abbey

Yes, start up the reclaim, it will most likely cover the entire overdraft so tell the bank that the account is in dispute as it is made up of unfair charges.

They shouldn't default or attempt collection on it in those circumstances, however if you are trying to stop marks on credit file or the amount owed increasing with interest etc then I would also write seperately saying that although the account is in dispute, you do not wish to renege on your debts and offer a repayment plan of a minimal amount a month as you can afford and ask them to freeze interest and charges. I'd do this simply because they do tend to ignore the disputed account rules and chuck it to collections anyway and it might save some work backtracking further down the line.

Thats just my opinion mind.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst,

That sounds like a sensible approach, so I'll get the ball rolling on that this week. We don't have a problem with chucking £100/£200 a month at it but we just don't have £1400 lying around to give them at the moment (largely thanks to them)

They're whining though because his wages are no longer being paid in, even though we're still paying the interest and charges. I realise that most standard bank a/c's they want to see at least £500 per month being paid in, however, as he's been with them so long I'd be interested to see what the T&C's for his particular a/c are, I certainly don't recall any letter heralding changes over the last 6 years

My heart just drops at the thought of dealing with them though, every experience we've had with them has been like a three day camel ride for the most simple task/request.

Comment

Hi Collette, hope this helps you as someone asked the question on here a bit back.
        Here are the questions and replies

Sending a S.A.R. to Abbey - Legal Beagles

Hope that helps, also the letters you require are in the library.
        Enaid x

Comment

Originally posted by enaid View Post
          Hi Collette, hope this helps you as someone asked the question on here a bit back.
          Here are the questions and replies

Sending a S.A.R. to Abbey - Legal Beagles

Hope that helps, also the letters you require are in the library.
          Enaid x
          Thank you so much Enaid, I adore the people on this site, you're making my life so much easier. I'm not having to second guess myself and scramble around for bits of info from here, there, and everywhere, the old 'jack of all trades and master of none' scenario.

Much appreciated.

Comment

Quick question, the SAR request doesn't specifically mention details of all charges posted to the a/c, do they send this as a matter of course?

Comment

They should send all the information that they have on you, which includes all your statements which will have all your charges on.

Comment

Thanks again Enaid, I thought it probably would be inclusive but wanted to be sure. I sometimes pop onto MSE to have a look and their template letters dwell specifically on the charges, I think the templates here read much better though.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X