• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Nwest suspended account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nwest suspended account

So I tried logging in to my bank account yesterday to find it wouldn't let me, tried via desktop, no luck.
    Got on live chat and was told my account has been 'put on a stop'
    Now some background, this isn't my main bank account.
    In the past couple of months I have just been using it as a gambling account. As in, I transfer money to it from my regular bank and then deposit to a gambling site. I do this mainly so that my usual account isn't full of gambling deposits and just thought it would make sense to make use of another account I had open.

They said I will receive a letter shortly but in the meantime I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to speak to someone and explain the transactions, I can understand how they could look dodgy and maybe they're system has flagged my account for multiple deposits & withdrawals, not huge amounts at a time but numerous small amounts.
    I can show them my other account and show each transaction etc, it just seems odd that I wasn't contacted about any of this.

​​​
    Tags: None

Assuming the manner in which the account is run has raised suspicions that it might be being used in connection with crime!

The bank will have informed the National Crime Agency, who have upto 31 (?) days to decide whether or not to investigate.
    During this time the bank is not allowed to tell you the reason as that would be an offence of “tipping off”, under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002.

You can try talking to the Bank, but if they clam up you can guess the reason why.

Interesting article https://www.ft.com/content/8fba7cac-...7-5b6869516085
    Last edited by des8; 2nd June 2022, 13:42:PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Hi thanks for the welcome and the help.

Well that's all sounds very scary! I thought it would have been a good idea to seperate my gambling transactions by using a separate account. Guess I was wrong!
      I can only presume it is because the account lay dormant for X amount of time and then a few months ago I started using it like this, so I can kind of understand the point of view of the bank.
      I guess I just have to wait for a letter to arrive then really.

Thanks again for your help

Comment

If you had done this through your main account, you might have suffered real inconvenience!
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X