• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

International bank transfers and hidden / surprise fees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International bank transfers and hidden / surprise fees

I recently made a transfer oversea from my HSBC account, in USD and I've chosen to pay for the commission.* In the transfer page it was written the amount in GBP, 400, and the amount in USD, 494$ .So, since I've chosen to pay for the transfer fee, 4GBP, I was sure that the recipient was indeed going to receive 494$ . In the transaction page there was no reference of any other extra fee.To my surprise, the recipient received 463$.
    I contacted HSBC and they explained that the intermediary bank took its cut of about 40$ .

My question is: why can't a bank be clear about extra hidden fees on these types of transfers?* Why can't they specify that there will be an extra fee* of about 40$ taken by the intermediary bank?

Also, does anyone know if these fees are fixed or as a percentage over the amount transferred? I wasn't able to find any info anywhere. For example, I paid 40$ to send approx 500$ ... what if I send 5000$ will I still pay approx 40$* ?

many thanks for the help!
    Alex
    Tags: None

Hello,
    From looking at HSBC's website, they have mentioned that:

'The charge(s) applied to the payment will depend on the charging option selected.
    • If you opt to pay all the fees; the charges in the table above will apply together with any intermediary, agency and beneficiary bank charges
    • If you opt to share the fees; the charge in the table above will apply together with any intermediary and agency bank charges
    • If you opt the beneficiary to pay all fees; no charges will be applied'
    Whether or not that fee is fixed or is a percentage of the money transferred, is probably dependent on the intermediary bank and their specific fees for receiving international payments.*
    I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X