• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Joint debt - 2 separate SD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint debt - 2 separate SD

Hi

This is connected to ongoing Mort shortfall SD issued to me and wife(not yet officially been served)

Is it true that although the debt is in joint names(as both on mortgage) that a SD and subsequent bankruptcy of a person is liable for 100% of the debt?
    and
    if 1 person gets made bankrupt from a SD, and is liable for 100% of debt, what happens to the 2nd person(my wife) ? will they pursue bankruptcy for her? if so why? as debt is already covered 100% under my bankruptcy

Just trying to plan ahead and understand the possible outcome/process

any guidance would be great

Thanks

SM
    "It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking
    and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution
    before tomorrow morning." -Henry Ford

Fiat currency- the curse of modern money system
    Tags: None

Re: Joint debt - 2 separate SD

Originally posted by time2burn View Post
    This is connected to ongoing Mort shortfall SD issued to me and wife(not yet officially been served)

Is it true that although the debt is in joint names(as both on mortgage) that a SD and subsequent bankruptcy of a person is liable for 100% of the debt?
    and

if 1 person gets made bankrupt from a SD, and is liable for 100% of debt, what happens to the 2nd person(my wife) ? will they pursue bankruptcy for her? if so why? as debt is already covered 100% under my bankruptcy
    With joint debts, they can pursue either debtor for the full amount of the debt. If one of the joint debtors goes bankrupt, the other one would still be liable for the full amount. If you include the debt in your bankruptcy, she would be pursued for 100% of the debt unless she also went bankrupt.

Comment

thankyou
      so they would get 200% of debt?
      if both were chased and for debt and both made BR for same debt- then they get 'paid' twice?

is that correct?
      "It is well that the people of the nation do not understand our banking
      and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution
      before tomorrow morning." -Henry Ford

Fiat currency- the curse of modern money system

Comment

NO! As FP explained the debt is owed jointly and severally, if party A fails to pay party B will be pursued and vice versa.

nem

Comment

If you go bankrupt and after priority creditors are paid if there is nothing left they get 0% from you same if the OH goes bankrupt same .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X