• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bankruptcy & joint assets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy & joint assets

Hi, I'm sure this question is asked ALL the time.... How are joint assets (ie mortgaged house) dealt with when one partner files for personal bankruptcy? I have many personal debts (cards, loans etc) that are now quite old (5 years+), I also have a joint mortgage with my wife. If I was to file for bankruptcy would we lose the house?

Re: Bankruptcy & joint assets

If you haven't acknowledges or paid towards these debts then they are close to becoming statute barred. Statute Barring means that the debt drops off the crwedit file and creditors cannot enforce them .
    Look very carefully at bankruptcy as it could have a huge effect . More experienced beagles will be along shortly

Comment

Originally posted by bluetilidie View Post
      Hi, I'm sure this question is asked ALL the time.... How are joint assets (ie mortgaged house) dealt with when one partner files for personal bankruptcy? I have many personal debts (cards, loans etc) that are now quite old (5 years+), I also have a joint mortgage with my wife. If I was to file for bankruptcy would we lose the house?
      If your debts are mostly old, unsecured debts, then there may be a better way to deal with them. Bankruptcy is a drastic solution that should only be considered as a last resort, when everything else fails. It depends mostly on the nature of your debts rather than the amounts. A lot of people opt for BR when they have debts to HMRC (Taxes, VAT, etc.) because they don't go statute barred, or large mortgage shortfalls where the limitation period is 12 years. It may not be worth to file for BR if your debts are just cards, loans, catalogues, etc. :thumb:

If you give us more details about your debts, we may be able to suggest an alternative course of action. Would be useful if you could tell us for each one of them:
      • The type of debt (loan, credit card, etc.)
      • Name of the creditor
      • Name of current owner or DCA chasing you
      • Date of last payment
      • Approx. date you opened the account
      • Outstanding balance
      • Was there PPI?
      • Anything else that would help

Comment

Originally posted by bluetilidie View Post
        To answer your original question, if the property is jointly owned, the official receiver is only entitled to the share of the property owned by yourself, this is usually assumed to be 50% of the equity. Your partner or other family members and friends can make an offer to buy out your share of the equity. See this for more info: http://resources.newbeginningsguide....nkruptcy.shtml

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X