• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

shortfall of mortgage owing pre bankruptcy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shortfall of mortgage owing pre bankruptcy

Hi, Nram repossessed our house last Nov, we are now renting, they then sold it silly cheap, and now have landed us a shortfall bill of £91k!

there is no way we can ever pay this , so my wife has decided to go bankcrupt next week, ( only her as i went last year and fortunately Nram have said im down as insolvent and thus only chasing her)

My question is can the £91k def be including in the bankruptcy, and do judges ever refuse them?

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: shortfall of mortgage owing pre bankruptcy

Originally posted by simon 3267 View Post
    Hi, Nram repossessed our house last Nov, we are now renting, they then sold it silly cheap, and now have landed us a shortfall bill of £91k!

there is no way we can ever pay this , so my wife has decided to go bankcrupt next week, ( only her as i went last year and fortunately Nram have said im down as insolvent and thus only chasing her)

My question is can the £91k def be including in the bankruptcy, and do judges ever refuse them?

Thanks in advance
    Yes, you should be able to include a mortgage shortfall, very few debts are excluded from bankruptcy, you may want to look at the Insolvency Service for reference: http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/per...debts-included
    What will happen if my secured debt is not paid in full after the sale of my property?
    There will be what is known as ‘a shortfall’. This shortfall will become an unsecured debt in your bankruptcy.
    You may also want to see this with regards to mortgage shortfalls: http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/en...age_shortfalls

As you say you went BR last year, you probably know all there is to know about the process, etc. but do feel free to post any questions you may have.

Comment

Out of interest did the mortgage lender let you try and sell the house before possession and did you have any offers? Unfortunately I dont think it will help your current predicament I am just wondering how the lenders are operating at the moment.
      "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Yes we were trying to sell for 2 years, but being a non-lending bank now!!! seeing as WE bailed them out, all they are interested in is getting back as much as they can!!

Very unreasonable and left me and my 5 kids homeless, Yes they sold it after knocking £90k off its worth

Comment

Since you are a BR the mortgage lender can no longer chase you for the shortfall and will continue to chase your wife for up to 12 years instead. You say she has decided to go BR next week but that is a massive step if this is her only debt (are there others?). If you're in rented accommodation and have no assets now that the house has been repossessed does she really need to go BR because the lender can't get blood out of a stone if she's not working. Is there really a hurry?

NRAM are facing a number of potential group action claims over selling repossessed properties at below market value (and other issues), and it may be worth your while waiting to see what becomes of all that before making up your mind.

Was this a Northern Rock Together product because there's a thread on here (I'll link it here tomorrow when I have more time) where some LB members are getting themselves into a group. Also did you read this about NRAM having to pay £270 million in compensation as a result of missold secured loans and mortgages and yours could be one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20679511

I would do more research before you do anything else

Comment

Very unreasonable and left me and my 5 kids homeless, Yes they sold it after knocking £90k off its worth
            That's disgraceful! Have you considered a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service because they take a strong line on this issue. Here's a case where the lender was ordered to pay compensation to the borrower for selling below market value:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...ears.html#cs11

While the FOS investigate a case the lender will normally be asked to agree to put any further collection (of the shortfall) activity on hold. The NRAM loan isn't adding interest (so not increasing) which means the lender will not be disadvantaged or have a growing debt while they wait in line. Cases generally take a year to travel through the FOS sluggish system, and by then you'll have a better idea of the way forward

NRAM can whistle for their money if you ask me.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X