• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Have your vote......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have your vote......

Most on here know that about 3 years CAB advised us to stop paying all non-priority debts and wait for someone to make us bankrupt. We did and have even asked some companies to make us bankrupt, but they've ended up writing off the debt.

Rcently we haad MKKr/Raven/MKDP on our back re Welcome Finance. I sent a Prove It letter and my God they have. This morning my life came through the letterbox. To be fair to someone in MKKr they have done an excellent job and produced absolutely everything.

I've now written to them to ask them to write off the debt pointing out we've had to sell our house, our only asset is a 9 year old car, due to illness I will never work again but cannot claim benefit due to my pension. Also pointed out other companies had written the debt off.

What do you reckon? Is our time finally up? Write off or bankruptcy?

Have your vote - I know which I want. By the way the laon was for just over £10000, remaining £3500ish we've paid exactly 66.5% of it.

Enjoy voting! We'll see who's right.
    Tags: None

Re: Have your vote......

well it doesn't really matter what we think, does it? I fail to see how anyone could vote on something which is still in abeyance and will remain so until at least they have replied to your write off request.

Unless I get my crystal ball out, that is, but tbh I'd rather deal in cold hard facts and circumstances as I find rystal balls aren't really very good at predictions.

Some benefits are not means tested, are they? Are there none of those that you could claim?

You could always make token payments and let them take you to court, as the Judge would only order a payment of what you could reasonably afford.
    Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
      well it doesn't really matter what we think, does it? I fail to see how anyone could vote on something which is still in abeyance and will remain so until at least they have replied to your write off request.

Unless I get my crystal ball out, that is, but tbh I'd rather deal in cold hard facts and circumstances as I find rystal balls aren't really very good at predictions.

Some benefits are not means tested, are they? Are there none of those that you could claim?

You could always make token payments and let them take you to court, as the Judge would only order a payment of what you could reasonably afford.
      I was just asking for opinions as to what they'd do out of interest. Of course nobody can say for sure, I'm not expecting them to. I'm just asking what people think given the situation.

Hard fact will come later when I get a response and then we can see if our "votes" were correct or not. For what it's worth I don't think they'll make me bankrupt.

Comment

Why are you waiting for them to make you bankrupt when you can claim self bankruptcy, albeit there is a cost, I guess?
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

A cost we can ill afford, that's why CAB said wait for someone to do it. It's fine as long as you can live with it hanging over your head all the time, but to be perfectly honest it would make zero difference to our lives now, so we're happy to wait.

Also gives me a hobby of coming on these forums and learning something which gradually is eroding away at the debts. So far in total we've had over £20000 written off, about £6000 of which has been in the last four months.

If we keep going at this rate we won't be in a position to be made bankrupt anymore, so there is a point in continuing as we are.

As I've said several times before once you get your head round it your entire outlook is different (though getting your head round it is very difficult). When DCA's send you threatening letters talking about court action and you actually phone them and say thanks for your letter that's great, we're waiting to be made bankrupt, how quickly can you do it? They are totally backfooted. I've asked sever creditors so far and nobody will. Equally I've got nothing to lose by writing to them, explaining the situation and asking them to write the debt off which I'm gradually picking away at.

I even had one last week phone to threaten court action and bankruptcy, and by the time I put the phone down he'd written off a £3500 debt! What is the point in them paying out their money to help me? They won't get anything as I have nothing to give them. Similarly, what's the point in me forking out £500 when it's not really going to make any difference to us other than officially on paper - well that's a bit like being married or living together - how much difference does it really make?

Also going through my mind is that at some stage in the next 10ish years I'll be in a position to do F&F's on the big debts, and hopefully by then the small ones will have gone, so we'll be back to normal then.

Although it was a nightmare at the time, its turned out to be a real silver lining in our cloud, but my circumstances are very individual. Definitely not the right thing for everyone and definitely always a last resort.

Comment

Personally i would not wait for a creditor to make you bankrupt. Reason being that you could end up with a trustee who is linked to the creditor that made you bankrupt in the first place, and they could make life quite difficult for you.
            Get advice with goign bankrupt beofre hand, and speak to a professional debt advisor about this.

Comment

Originally posted by integritydebt View Post
              Personally i would not wait for a creditor to make you bankrupt. Reason being that you could end up with a trustee who is linked to the creditor that made you bankrupt in the first place, and they could make life quite difficult for you.
              Get advice with goign bankrupt beofre hand, and speak to a professional debt advisor about this.
              Hi integrity

Interesting post -

Could you expand a little on what you mean by -

"Reason being that you could end up with a trustee who is linked to the creditor that made you bankrupt in the first place, and they could make life quite difficult for you"
              Last edited by Latch Key Kid; 14th April 2011, 15:04:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X