• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt relief order or bankruptcy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt relief order or bankruptcy

Good morning

I am currently being taken to court for an overpayment of wages. It's not as straight forward as they paid in error so I have to pay back. There's more to it, I genuinely had every reason to believe the money was mine. I am fighting it.

If I am not successful I have to pay the overpayment, the interest, the court costs and the legal costs of the claimant all of which I can't do. I am currently very sick and living off of state benefits which do not go very far and I have nothing left at the end of the week/month.

My question is, should I not win can I then apply straight away for a debt relief order or bankruptcy as I do not have anything to give them and they are not interested in an affordable payment plan, asking for £800 a month back.

I'm very concerned that they will apply to have money taken from my benefits before I get them as I heard they can do this.

Thank you
    Ivan

Tags: None

It might be a good idea to contact CAB to help you with this, as you are 'very sick', pointless struggling alone.

What you need to do is fill in an income and expenditure form. Take into account the 'cost of living', i.e. energy, food etc.

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/

A Court will only make you pay what you can afford, so if it's £1 a month so be it.

You might qualify for Court remission on Court fees.

Comment

Thanks

Do you think I would be granted the debt relief order for this?

Comment

Originally posted by IvanBarton View Post
        Thanks

Do you think I would be granted the debt relief order for this?
        CAB really are the best people to ask -

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...-relief-order/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X