• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I desperately need some urgent help & advice...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I desperately need some urgent help & advice...

Hi everyone,

I desperately need help to decide how to proceed with my self-made debt crisis! Can anyone please help advise me?

I formed a LTD company a few years ago to pursue a business idea (only me employed/involved) and having foolishly gambled on marketing spend have run up a (100%) personally guaranteed overdraft and short-term business loan debt of £45k!

To try and save the business I also lent the company £40k of borrowed money via two personal loans/credit cards. The business has run out of cash and has no assets to sell.

The business has no trade creditors as I’ve always paid up front for everything. It owes HMRC £3.5k, Bank £45k and myself now zero having taken monthly repayments back from my director’s loan account to cover living costs.

The business has finally failed and has run out of cash. I can’t afford to appoint a liquidator (£2k-£4k quoted).

My wife and I live in a rented house. We’re both in our 60’s. My wife works self-employed from home due to illness and is on a small income. However, she is due to inherit £200k in the next year and is intending to buy a property to become rent free. Understandingly she isn’t willing to bail me out and thinks I should go bankrupt.

I’m now looking for a job and should be able to earn £10-£15 per hour. I don’t have the skills or profession to earn much more at this stage without training.

Therefore, I don’t think I’m going to have any available income after living costs to satisfy my creditors via a DMP or IVA.

Should I declare myself bankrupt? Should I first try to negociate a DMP or IVA? Should I wait for my creditors to take legal action?

At what point will the business bank debts be pursued via my personal guarantees? Can this future liability be included as part of the bankruptcy?

Will my wife be implicated in any way by my bankruptcy? We don’t have any joint loans or other liabilities. If I died, would she be burdened by the debt in any way?

I have a 7 year old/modest car (value under £5k) and apart from basic belongings and household effects, I have no other assets other that my iphone.

I don’t have the funds to approach an Insolvency Practitioner but is this a false saving in the long-term? Or should I just fill in the forms, pay the £680 and do it myself?

What should I do? I’d really appreciate some pragmatic advice.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Tags: None

I have 2 pieces of advice:

1. Avoid IVAs like the plague. They are not the panacea that the sharks peddling them claim. They are often like giving a millstone to a drowning man.

2. Take good independent debt advice, e.g. from Citizens Advice or Stepchange. Bankruptcy may be a solution for you, but take advice.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you very much Atticus, I'll contact Citizens Advice today

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X