• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rossendales and Council Tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossendales and Council Tax

Hi

Having had a run-in with Rossendales regarding Council tax, I googled it to find this forum. I thought I'd outline my experience to help others.

First of all, I received a letter from Rossendales of a 'Final Opportunity' to sort out a bill from 2012. In fact, I had thought the bill was a closed matter, so this came as a surprise. I immediately emailed them to say this and that it must be in error.

The next day my neighbour came round to hand me a letter that hand been "hand-delivered" to his house. An EA had been it seems to discuss this. This letter now said that I had accrued an extra £235 charge. In fact, these both happened ON THE SAME DAY. The letter arrived, though dated a week earlier, the same day this agent visited.

I called the council to determine if I was really liable for this CT. It seems I was. Therefore I had to pay the amount plus £75 for a compliance fee. There was also this extra £235 levied due to the visit by the EA. I felt this was unfair. I had next to no time to respond to this letter. I told the council this. I thought the matter was closed too.

After receiving the letter from my neighbour in the evening, I googled 'Rossendales and Council tax' and of course, nearly scared myself to death. The warnings on here and around are very scary and I learnt about the new rules that meant that bailiffs have a lot of power now. I was really worried and got about 2 hours sleep that night. I also parked my car elsewhere!

First thing next morning I called the bailiff to sort this out. He offered me to pay by instalments but wouldn't budge on the £235 despite my protestations. He recommended I called the head office to sort it. On calling head office, they said that I needed to sort it out with the agent or make a complaint, and they gave me a complaints email address! So i called back the agent and said 'Can I sort it out with you or go to complaints? What do you think - is it fair I've had no time to respond to this? Besides, you delivered the letter to the wrong house. So you haven't been to my house, so you can't charge me £235'. He admitted it was the wrong house - we live next door to a house that is semi-lived-in and looks dilapidated in comparison to ours. I think he assumed that's where a debtor would live.

He offered to ring head office then call me back. A half hour later - good news! They'd waived the fee - he didn't say why - and we agreed repayment arrangement for the CT + £75. I never saw this guy, and to be honest, he was ok to deal with.

I hope that's of some use to someone. This happened over the last few days.
    Tags: None

Re: Rossendales and Council Tax

Good for you and the EA acted properly . A shame you didn't the original letter from the council when you could have saved £75

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X