• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Right of access

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Right of access

Originally posted by The Starving Taxpayer View Post
    I would repeat that a private bailiff collecting council tax was not acting under any warrant or writ. A liability order simply determined a debtors liability and gave the private bailiff no powers that were greater than any other member of the general public.

A liability order simply afforded the authority in question further options in which to recover the debt. There is nothing within a liability order that gives a bailiff (EA) any power.
    I am 100% for consumer rights and, as anyone who knows me would testify, I despise Bailiffs/EAs. But I'm sorry to say that I have to disagree with you on the point in bold, above.

Sch.4 Para.7 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 provided that Regulations could be implemented giving Local Authorities, who had obtained a Liability Order, to "levy the appropriate amount by distress and sale of the debtor's goods".

The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992/613 were implemented. This allowed the local authority to "levy the appropriate amount by distress and sale of the goods of the debtor..." (Reg.45 Para.1) anywhere in England and Wales (Reg.45 Para.6) so long as it was carried out by a person authorised to act as a Bailiff (Reg.45 Para.6A). [emphasis added]

So in effect, a person's right to withdraw consent for a Bailiff to enter upon land was curtailed by law implemented by, or with the authorisation of, Parliament. This is another example of Statute Law limiting the effect of Common Law.

Insomuch as the previous regime only allowed such Bailiffs to make peaceful entry, the new law hasn't changed anything. An EA recovering Council Tax will still not be able to make forceful entry (without the express permission of the court).

Furthermore, given the above conclusion that peaceful entry by Bailiffs could not be prevented by "withdrawing permission" for them to enter land, Sch.12 Para.14 of the new law is merely a re-statement of the old position.
    Last edited by UnitedFront; 22nd June 2014, 14:30:PM.
    None of my posts constitute any kind of legal advice. I do not accept any liability whatsoever resulting from anyone reading and/or acting upon the contents of any of my posts. Always seek the advice of a qualified and insured lawyer.

I have a first-class LLB (Hons) (law) degree and I continue to research the law for my own pleasure. This does not make me an expert in the law. I make mistakes, just as we all do. My posts are made in good faith, but anyone relying upon the accuracy of my posts does so purely and entirely at their own risk. I do not accept any responsibility whatsoever, for any detriment of whatever type or nature, resulting from any person(s) acting upon the contents of my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by UnitedFront View Post
      I am 100% for consumer rights and, as anyone who knows me would testify, I despise Bailiffs/EAs. But I'm sorry to say that I have to disagree with you on the point in bold, above.

Sch.4 Para.7 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 provided that Regulations could be implemented giving Local Authorities, who had obtained a Liability Order, to "levy the appropriate amount by distress and sale of the debtor's goods".

The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992/613 were implemented. This allowed the local authority to "levy the appropriate amount by distress and sale of the goods of the debtor..." (Reg.45 Para.1) anywhere in England and Wales (Reg.45 Para.6) so long as it was carried out by a person authorised to act as a Bailiff (Reg.45 Para.6A). [emphasis added]

So in effect, a person's right to withdraw consent for a Bailiff to enter upon land was curtailed by law implemented by, or with the authorisation of, Parliament. This is another example of Statute Law limiting the effect of Common Law.

Insomuch as the previous regime only allowed such Bailiffs to make peaceful entry, the new law hasn't changed anything. An EA recovering Council Tax will still not be able to make forceful entry (without the express permission of the court).

Furthermore, given the above conclusion that peaceful entry by Bailiffs could not be prevented by "withdrawing permission" for them to enter land, Sch.12 Para.14 of the new law is merely a re-statement of the old position.

Yes all unfortunately true.

Comment

But you've missed out that magic word haven't you?

An authority MAY levy the appropriate amount of distress.

This effectively gave the authority the OPTION of using distress, as I stated previously. Another option was that an authority MAY apply for an AOE.

Whether the new laws have changed anything remains to be seen. I suspect they will have and I've heard arguments for this whilst quoting from the new regs.

Legislation does not state that the authority SHALL, only that it MAY-It gives permission to do so, it doesn't order the authority to do so.

Revoking right of access means an authority MAY NOT levy the appropriate amount of distress. This often meant they would then go for an AOE instead.

Comment

But you've missed out that magic word haven't you?

An authority MAY levy the appropriate amount of distress.

This effectively gave the authority the OPTION of using distress, as I stated previously. Another option was that an authority MAY apply for an AOE.

Whether the new laws have changed anything remains to be seen. I suspect they will have and I've heard arguments for this whilst quoting from the new regs.

Legislation does not state that the authority SHALL, only that it MAY-It gives permission to do so, it doesn't order the authority to do so.

Revoking right of access means an authority MAY NOT levy the appropriate amount of distress. This often meant they would then go for an AOE instead.
          Doesn't the phrase "authority may", indicate that the decision to levy rests with the authority rather than the debtor ?

You could ask with or without a "notice" I suppose but I do not think it would have any effect.

Comment

By the same token they May or May not take notice of the piece of paper denying them right of access,
            If we had a real life Bailiff on here we could ask them ?

Comment

The Starving Taxpayer:

That interpretation of the law old law is/was no more than wishful thinking. The term may has no real significance, other than showing that a Local Authority is not under an obligation to levy distress.

Statute Law is supreme when at odds with Common Law. Statute Law said that Local Authorities could (via their Bailiffs) levy distress anywhere in England or Wales.

The Common Law right to refuse permission for that Bailiff to enter land cannot and never did (in law, although I concede it may occasionally have worked in reality) over-ride or undo the effects of the Statutory provisions. To make such a claim really is skirting perilously close to FMOL theories of Common Law being all-powerful.

As I previously said, the word may merely meant that the Local Authority was not under an obligation to levy distress. The use of that word in no way afforded anyone the right to refuse Bailiffs peaceful access to land. It is a gargantuan leap to go from "no obliged to levy distress" to "can be prevented from making peaceful entry".

I must emphasis, however, that
              None of my posts constitute any kind of legal advice. I do not accept any liability whatsoever resulting from anyone reading and/or acting upon the contents of any of my posts. Always seek the advice of a qualified and insured lawyer.

I have a first-class LLB (Hons) (law) degree and I continue to research the law for my own pleasure. This does not make me an expert in the law. I make mistakes, just as we all do. My posts are made in good faith, but anyone relying upon the accuracy of my posts does so purely and entirely at their own risk. I do not accept any responsibility whatsoever, for any detriment of whatever type or nature, resulting from any person(s) acting upon the contents of my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                Doesn't the phrase "authority may", indicate that the decision to levy rests with the authority rather than the debtor ?

You could ask with or without a "notice" I suppose but I do not think it would have any effect.
                That's exactly what it meant. As per my previous post, to say that one can exercise a Common Law right in order to defeat a Statutory Provision (which in effect was specifically aimed at limiting that right) is nothing short of madness. Such a viewpoint really is (at very best) skirting right on the very edge of the FMOL nonsense.

It does strike me that this debate is all rather academic, since the law has changed.

My point remains the same, nonetheless, in that the new law really doesn't change much.

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                  By the same token they May or May not take notice of the piece of paper denying them right of access,
                  If we had a real life Bailiff on here we could ask them ?
                  seem to remember reading that CIVEA issued a memo advising bailiff companies to routinely ignore these notices.
                  Last edited by andy58; 22nd June 2014, 15:05:PM. Reason: advising

Comment

There is a real bailiff on here & would no doubt tell you that he would ignore the notice. He'd probably jam his foot in a door if it wasn't on camera as well. That doesn't make it legal. This is why (as I explained before), I used to send notice to head office as well as to the council rather than rely on an individual bailiffs honesty & integrity.

Once a liability order is obtained, the authority then has power to do other things. One of them was to use bailiffs. Just as a householder can stop a policeman entering the boundaries of his property without a warrant, so can he stop a private bailiff entering the boundaries of his property without a warrant.

There is nothing anywhere in legislation that states a bailiff had any power to visit once his right of access had been removed. This probably explains why I was able to use the notice successfully several times last year.

Comment

seem to remember reading that CIVEA issued a memo instructing bailiff companies to routinely ignore these notices.
                      Seem to remember CIVEA stating bailiffs should charge Head H for council tax whenever a levy was made as well. Doesn't mean they were correct.

Comment

Seem to remember CIVEA stating bailiffs should charge Head H for council tax whenever a levy was made as well. Doesn't mean they were correct.
                        Does indicate what a bailiff would probably tell you though, and since it is he who will be calling , relevant I would have thought.

Comment

Incidentally I have seen bailiffs comment on these notices elsewhere and they are of the opinion that they are so much toilet paper..(to be blunt)

Comment

CIVEAs warped & skewed opinions have no legal standing. I tend to ignore them or occasionally chuckle at them. I read an outburst fairly recently from Steve Everson about the LGO's stance on multiple fee charging that did make me laugh. I do hope his successor is as funny.

Notice sent to the head office of the enforcement agency means that no bailiff would be visiting so a bailiff would not be telling me anything. This makes CIVEAs statements irrelevant.

Comment

The biggest problem of all is Bailiffs do not always operate within the Law as in all walks of life some abide by the rules some don't.
                              The easiest most effective way of having to test the bit of paper is not to get in the [position where they can call on you .
                              It worked we are told by one Member on here others no doubt if they had tried will tell different.
                              I think arguing so much on the matter is getting a little to much lets hope we get a real bailiff to give their honest opinion or not

Comment

Incidentally I have seen bailiffs comment on these notices elsewhere and they are of the opinion that they are so much toilet paper..(to be blunt)
                                Well all I can tell you is that I have sent them to different bailiff companies and on EVERY occasion, the debt was returned to the council. Calling them "toilet paper" on the internet is fine. Meanwhile back in the real world, several vulnerable people were spared bailiff visits.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X